Win How to play AAC file without decoding as PCM using Kodi
Hi All,

I want to play AAC file using Kodi player through HDMI, my receiver is capable of detecting AAC streams. Can you please tell me the what are the settings
I have to take care of playing AAC file using kodi without decoding it as PCM? Please help me guys on this issue.
There is zero chance your AVR can decode AAC from HDMI as the HDMI standard does not support it, when your AVR states it can decode AAC this will most likely mean receiving files with AAC over DLNA or from USB.
(2017-11-03, 13:17)jjd-uk Wrote: There is zero chance your AVR can decode AAC from HDMI as the HDMI standard does not support it, when your AVR states it can decode AAC this will most likely mean receiving files with AAC over DLNA or from USB.

Does it mean HDMI can't support AAC audio formats? 

But If i check in this website they are telling HDMI 2.0 can support HE-AAC. Please check http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...and-2.0%3F
Maybe HDMI does support he-aac from 2.0 onwards. Find me an amplifier that does.

What is wrong with PCM anyway? Either Kodi converts to PCM or your amplifier does, what difference do you expect?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Even if possible you do realise all you would be achieving is moving the point at which the decoding to PCM is done from Kodi to the AVR? and that doing this would make absolutely no difference to the audio quality.
HDMI 2.0 indeed supports AAC transport. CTA 861-F defined the coding types for AAC based on IEC 61937-11. CTA 861-G expanded it further to include AC4 and 3D audio. I haven't come across any player that actually does AAC passthrough.

CTA 861-F

CTA 861-G

(2017-11-06, 09:58)nickr Wrote: Maybe HDMI does support he-aac from 2.0 onwards. Find me an amplifier that does.

What is wrong with PCM anyway? Either Kodi converts to PCM or your amplifier does, what difference do you expect?

I don't want player has to decode the AAC my device is capable of detecting AAC and decoding AAC.
(2017-11-07, 14:01)Reddy532 Wrote: I don't want player has to decode the AAC my device is capable of detecting AAC and decoding AAC.
Do you even know for sure that your AVR actually declares AAC as a supported audio format in its EDID?
(2017-11-07, 20:17)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-11-07, 14:01)Reddy532 Wrote: I don't want player has to decode the AAC my device is capable of detecting AAC and decoding AAC.
Do you even know for sure that your AVR actually declares AAC as a supported audio format in its EDID? 

Yes It will supports in my PC if i see the supported formats for HDMI it's not listing AAC but lists all other like Dolby,DTS-HD etc.
I suppose some users might want their AVR front panel to show the audio compression codec used rather than a generic "multi-ch in", but agree that AAC doesn't seem to be supported as a bitstream over HDMI in AVRs.

scott s.
(2017-11-09, 11:00)Reddy532 Wrote: Yes It will supports in my PC if i see the supported formats for HDMI it's not listing AAC but lists all other like Dolby,DTS-HD etc.

You contradict yourself. If AAC is not listed, it is not listed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to play AAC file without decoding as PCM using Kodi0