Texture development
Hi,

For someone with little to no graphics abilities I just wondered what people do when they want to create new textures for either an existing skin or creating a new look for a skin?

Any pointers?

Mike
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
You mean only the textures without xml editing?
I guess they just extract the textures file and do some Photoshop/Gimp magic Smile

Edit
I my case I started to include the Photoshop .psd files to my GitHub repo, so modders have a better control of the existing ones.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
yes sorry, meant all the textures / graphic used in the skin and what people do it they actually create new files to use in the skin? I know Photoshop / GIMP but wondered what some might do if they didn't have the skills for those applications?

I sometimes think about doing a new skin but then have no idea how to do the textures to form the graphics of the skin so don't bother in the end.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
The same way a user has to learn how the Kodi engine works -> Learning by doing.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
There's a huuuuugge amount of tutorials to be found for Photoshop. I bet there are a lot for other Gimp too.
It really is a matter of practice.
From my point of view u dont realy need a lot of textures to create a skin. A white square nd thats it beside the needed icons. Just use colordiffuse to color the white image, same for transparence.

If ur looking for new "unused" icons u might finde some in the www
+1 
Rantanplan-1 is right

A simple white.jpg combined with colordiffuse also makes it easier to create color themes.

For icons you can use fonts or free databases. Examples:
For busy spinners you can also use tools like this:
http://hmaidasani.github.io/RadialChartImageGenerator/

My Embuary has only a few very, very simple textures. All other things are created with the same method from above.

But if you want to create a non-flat fancy skin, you have to get some basic Photoshop skills. As Jeroen said -> YT and tutorials are your friends.
If The Gimp is counter intuitive and Photoshop too expensive...use PowerPoint. Before you laugh too hard, it supports transparency at the object or effect level and you can select an object group, right-click, and save as .png. You can mock up each page of your skin quickly and then refine as you go...even proof animation concepts. Page setup allows any arbitrary page size, so 16:9 or 8:3 aspect ratios are a breeze to set up. Comments allow you to leave yourself notes as you go. It's not the end-all be-all of graphics apps, but it is pretty well suited to non-graphics-enthusiasts plus many people already have it and are familiar with it. You asked for an alternative... Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Texture development0