OS X Does Dolby Truehd or Dolby DTS HD MA work on Mac? Mine doesn't
Hello!

I'm not very good at these things but i have some movies in Blu Ray (bought last year) that i wanted to watch with my 5.1-system. I used my Macbook Pro and Kodi as player but when i looked up the information on my receiver (Yamaha RX-V781) it was saying that the audio input was PCM though Kodi was saying that it was Dolby TrueHD. I have read som threads about Mac and Dolby TrueHD/Dolby DTS HD MA but i haven't understood if it works or not.

My version om Kodi is Jarvis (v.16) and Krypton (v.17), and sometimes Helix (v.14)

It took a photo of my receivers information if that would help you: https://imgur.com/a/pm7I8

I would really appreciate if someone could explain how it works och how i can solve it. Thank you.
Macos can't pass through hd audio formats. But it can decode all channels to pcm and transfer up to 7.1 this way. So the output from you amp looks good. You receive 7.1 channels that are downmixed to 5.1 ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-11-04, 18:53)Memphiz Wrote: Macos can't pass through hd audio formats. But it can decode all channels to pcm and transfer up to 7.1 this way. So the output from you amp looks good. You receive 7.1 channels that are downmixed to 5.1 ...

Alright! But the audio isn't hd, right? Is it just DTS?
Btw, thank you for your time and help Memphiz!
Well depends on the amp - kodi decodes the audio 1:1 - the same as a hd audio amp would do - it then transfers the audio via pcm channels - is it a 7.1 amp you use (with only 5.1 connected speakers)? Not sure what the source material is - 48khz is what the amp gets (no real knowledge if hd audio has a higher sample rate normally)

Also instead of guessing you could provide a debug log (wiki) which might give me some more insight
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I have a 5.1-home theater system. Im not sure why it says 7.1 input audio signal on the receiver information (the image that i uploaded earlier)...

I hope this debug log could clear things out, it's the same movie as the one from the receiver information: http://paste.ubuntu.com/25898829/

EDIT: Changed the url, first was wrong.
Looks like you have connected the Mac to your tv and not to your amp - please describe what kind of tv and amp you have and how they are connected.
The Mac is connected to the receiver with Thunderbolt/hdmi-cable. The receiver, Yamaha RX-V781 is connected with the Samsung-tv with a hdmi-cable.

It’s A bit strange. Always when i connect the Mac and receiver it says CD on the receiver display.
Kodi seems to see the tv only. Is the amp and tv turned on before you start kodi?
I think the last log was from when the tv and receiver were on. I did a new debug log, in this one definitely both tv and receiver is on before i start Kodi.

I really appreciate your help memphiz. Very kind of you.
Well it shows the audio device as samsung which is a bit odd to me but might be fine. It opens the device as 8 channel 48khz. What exactly makes you think that it is not working like intended? Doesn't look too bad to me tbh.
I started googling and read a couple of threads were users claimed that Mac doesnt support Dolby DTS HD MA or TrueHd.

If a Mac user wanted those formats he/she had to boot camp the Mac and use Windows instead. And when i checked the information on the receiver I notice the pcm-format. Therefore I got a bit insecure.

But if I have got you right - Mac does actually support DTS HD MA and TrueHD? Do you have any clue why it says pcm on the receiver information?
Mac does not support passing through hd audio formats. Thats what you need windows for. Pass through would result in you amp showing truehd and stuff like that. As said - kodi decodes the hd audio into single channels and sends them via pcm to your amp. Thats why it shows pcm. The audio quality is the same. The difference is:
On pass through the audio data is sent to the amp in the original compressed format - the amp decodes it into single channel data.
Via PCM - Kodi decodes the hd audio into single channel data and sends the already decoded audio to the amp.

Hope that clears it up. All that say "mac can't do hd audio formats" are referring to pass through (which is correct).
I see! So it really doesnt matter were the audio is decoded, it doesn’t affect the audio quality anyway, right?

It seems like many users are not as well informed as you and thinks that the they can’t get same quality as DTS HD MA/TrueHD with Mac if they dont do a boot camp and use Windows.

I have one last question, does Dolby Atmos work with Mac/Kodi and by the setup that i got? My receiver support that format.
It's the same quality wise - some people just ignore the science behind it and trust some placebos (blue LEDs on the amp telling them that something indeed is "hd") - that's my opinion ... can't answer you the atmos question - I think we can't decode the atmos track so this would only be work via pass through - which is not possible on OS X ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Dolby Truehd or Dolby DTS HD MA work on Mac? Mine doesn't0