Win Kodi's behavior when opening a file from file explorer
Tongue 
Hello, I wanted to ask a question about a problem I have since years now.
Here is the normal behavior when opening files from Windows' file explorer, for example: opening MP3 files with Groove.
I click a MP3 file in Windows Explorer, Groove pops up and start playing the file. If now I click another MP3 file, Groove will play this second MP3.
Now with Kodi:
I click a MP3 file in Windows Explorer, Kodi pops up and start playing the file. If now I click another MP3 file, Kodi will appear on top of other Windows but will NOT play this second MP3. It will keep playing the first song. When the first song is finished, it will not play the second song. Then now matter how many times I click another file in File Explorer, Kodi will sit there doing nothing! I'll have to quit Kodi and click again a song to have it play it.
And the same behavior happens for videos.
It's a bit annoying when I need to quickly listen or watch files in folder...
What do you think??
Cheers,   Cool
Gz
Kodi is designed that you open it and play the content from within the application, whether selecting something from your library or browsing a file from source

If your after a desktop player its probably better sticking to Groove or using VLC etc when in these environments. Remeber Kodi is designed for the 10 foot experience, with you controling it with a remote control
I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster. I don't think I have assigned any file to Kodi in Windows. It is meant as an interface to your media and much to heavy for simply playing a file from Windows Explorer. Starting up foobar, VLC or Groove is also much quicker than starting Kodi just to play an file from Windows Explorer.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
I don't agree and I don't understand you.

I DON'T AGREE
In the day I use my laptop and I like listening to music while I work, so I use Kodi with the mouse. Sometimes I like to play songs or videos that are outside my library.
In the evening I use my HTPC and I listen to music and watch movies, so I use Kodi with the remote.
Why should I use another app just because I use the mouse? I think there should be one app for all media purposes. Kodi is the app I chose, I'm used to it, I set it up, I have my media library on it. Kodi starts very fast on my laptop.  I don't want to use another app just because I use a mouse, that's absurd.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU
Suppose the feature I request was implemented inside Kodi. Also another feature I would like is right click on a folder then "play with Kodi". Suppose these features was implemented, would you suffer from it? If mouse functions was developed, Kodi would still work perfectly with a remote, it would not change your user experience. So why are you opposing it? This is what I don't understand.
If you're on a crusade against anything non-remote, then you should start a war against the Android version too.
There is no "Crusade", as was said previously Kodi is designed for the 10 foot experience, with you controlling it with a remote control. It's not designed to work like VLC, so it's not built in such way that it is incorporated into Windows right-click menu's etc.

If you are so desperate to have these features included you could always write the code & submit it, after all the project is open-source.
I have the distinct impression Kodi is written to be operated from within the application as well.
Wouldn't it be enough to add the files you want to play as a source and than start any song/movie from within there?

To be honest this use-case makes no sense to me, to have behaviour changed some code needs to be re-written i guess (non-dev speak).

Good luck.
Write a simple batch file to add the file to current playlist, then associate mp3 files to the script.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry for the delay, and thank you nickr for the answer. However this solution seems a bit complicated for something so obvious and that every other apps have. Thanks anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi's behavior when opening a file from file explorer0