Add an SMB Wizard to assist in setting up shares now that SMB version 1 is gone
Now that SMB version 1 is gone and remote-browsing a Windows Network for SMB shares is no longer possible, it might be nice to add an SMB Wizard of sorts to assist in setting up Windows shares. Kodi 17.5 broke all my SMB shares and required me to add credentials to my Windows shares and set-up all new paths. This was quite time consuming and not that self-explanatory. 

- I am running LE 8.2.0 (Kodi 17.5) on 2 Intel NUC's
- Wired Gigabit network
- Windows 10 computer w/latest Fall Creator's update holding all my media files
(2017-11-04, 19:16)blueribb Wrote: Kodi 17.5 broke all my SMB shares and required me to add credentials to my Windows shares and set-up all new paths.
Adding your credentials in passwords.xml would have allowed your existing paths to work unchanged. passwords.xml should be created automatically once you add credentials to the shares and when Kodi prompts for the username/password you enable the "Remember this password" option (which saves the username/password for the share in passwords.xml). You really don't want to hard code the username and password into the path for your share.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
What do you mean with "SMB Version 1 is gone"?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
The only real change is Windows 10 1709 (fall creators) build disables the SMB1.0 server by default, so using this version of Windows 10 as a server for Kodi will not allow Android clients to connect as Kodi/Android only support SMB 1

SMB 1 is old though and best practice is to disable it, ordinarily this should not stop network browsing etc as this works via a different mechanism.
(2017-11-06, 12:54)jools5000 Wrote: SMB 1 is old though and best practice is to disable it

Yep, and leaving SMB1 enabled in the client weakens your overall security by allowing MITM attacks that can downgrade the client connection (regardless of the server configuration). The best option would be to ensure SMB1 is disabled everywhere, including clients. To do this in Kodi you'll need to add the following to ~/.kodi/.smb/user.conf:

Code:
client min protocol = SMB2

and then configure the max protocol in the Kodi GUI (either SMB2 or SMB3). And, of course, disable SMB1 in the server.

(2017-11-06, 12:54)jools5000 Wrote: ordinarily this should not stop network browsing etc as this works via a different mechanism.

If only.

Quote:- MS-RAP/MS-BRWS protocols will not work as they require SMB1
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add an SMB Wizard to assist in setting up shares now that SMB version 1 is gone0