How do I manage more particular video files in Kodi?
How can I manage any local videos that are not movies, tv series and music videos? I'll give you examples of files I'm interested to add them to the database, and so far I haven't had much luck:

1) Anything that's related to music, it's not a music video, and it doesn't have any metadata online. I will provide the metadata myself (from file/folder structures), into nfo's, in any way this works (if there is a way): cannibalizing existing fields, adding as tags, etc. How I do that is not important; into what fields, following what strategy - is. I want the categories in brackets to be true categories, browsable, and to be able to drill down through them.

[Documentaries], [Interviews], [MiniConcerts], [Misc]
[Artist] - [YYYY-MM-DD] - [Name]

[Performances]
[Artist] - [YYYY-MM-DD] - [Name] - [Event]

2) [Random videos] 

Stuff that can be identified with, say:

\[Person]\[YYYY-MM-DD] - [EVENT]

3) [Home videos]

Stuff that I would have [YYYY-MM-DD] - [Location] - [Name] for.

So how do I make nfo's for those? How do I plug that information into them, as what? In a way that I can separate them later, create nodes for them, smartlists, whatnot? I don't want to pile the files together, I want to be able to sort and drill down through them, as I do with the more commonly used video file types.

And oh yeah, I anticipate there's a secondary funny problem: skin support, 'cause I want to display that metadata, if I can bring it in. Any advise or working idea it's much appreciated.
Hello Daydream

In my signature below is a link NFO Files. That should answer most of your questions.

We might have to re-visit your Category requirements once you familiarise yourself with NFO Files.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
There is a 3rd party util, Media Companion, supported in the forums that can create an nfo for "home videos". It has a UI for manually adding a few things to the nfo. Alternatively you would need a script to pull container metadata from a video file (assuming you have tagged it) and map it to the correct elements in the nfo file. I use MediaMonkey tagging/player program on Windows to tag mp4 container videos and export the tags via a custom VBS script to an nfo file for music video (could be modified for other video types I suppose).

scott s.
Hi @scott967

That's one of the options provided in the nfo page. Section 3.1

Wondering if the script you mention is worth putting in the wiki somewhere
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I manage more particular video files in Kodi?0