Video addons debugging infos
I am wondering what fellow coders are using to debug their addons.
I am pretty used to python but I did not find a valid way to debug an addon externally besides verbose logging in kodi. 
I tried the eclispse pydev route and also tried web pdb but I found both solutions a bit too clunky to be used especially with addons with multiple external libraries.
I am wondering if I should put my heart at rest and continue the way I am doing or there is just something I am missing.
There are some debugging howtos here, but not sure how current or useful they are. http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_development
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This would be better answered in the add-on development section - moving it there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
As to my knowledge, in addition to the listed above there's a remote debugger for Python Tools for Visual Studio that provides similar experience to Eclipse+PyDev, and WinPDB (abandoned for a long time). PyCharm has a remote debugger only in paid version.

But if you find all those debuggers inconvenient as opposite to verbose logging, maybe you are doing something wrong?
(2017-11-06, 13:13)Roman_V_M Wrote: As to my knowledge, in addition to the listed above there's a remote debugger for Python Tools for Visual Studio that provides similar experience to Eclipse+PyDev, and WinPDB (abandoned for a long time). PyCharm has a remote debugger only in paid version.

But if you find all those debuggers inconvenient as opposite to verbose logging, maybe you are doing something wrong?

Thanks I will try pycharm as that's the one tool I use mostly.
The point is I am not finding those "inconvenient" just they're not so reliable as I would like them, but maybe I should give them a second chance, thanks for the help.
(2017-11-06, 23:56)aenemapy Wrote:
(2017-11-06, 13:13)Roman_V_M Wrote: As to my knowledge, in addition to the listed above there's a remote debugger for Python Tools for Visual Studio that provides similar experience to Eclipse+PyDev, and WinPDB (abandoned for a long time). PyCharm has a remote debugger only in paid version.

Thanks I will try pycharm as that's the one tool I use mostly.
The point is I am not finding those "inconvenient" just they're not so reliable as I would like them, but maybe I should give them a second chance, thanks for the help.

As I said, PyCharm has a remote debugger only in paid version. But debugger modules for PyDev, PTVS or PyCharm still need to be converted into Kodi module addons to be used in Kodi.

Also I don't quite understand the term "reliable" about debuggers. Do they crash in the process or provide incorrect data or what? Can you describe what exactly you are trying to do with debuggers?
Hey there, 

Any luck with PyCharm ? I tried creating a new script addon with the pydev sources distributed with PyCharm. I am able to attach the debugger and start debugging, but after that, kodi freezes without any messages logged or anything...
The problem with general purpose remote Python debuggers that they open blocking sockets to receive remote connections and do not track Kodi abort requests.
I managed to get it "kind of" working yesterday... had to place a call to pydevd.stoptrace at the end of my addon entry script. That's working... for now. However, I had to create another script addon for pydev and include the sources shipped with pycharm.
I ended up creating my own remote debugger: https://github.com/romanvm/kodi.web-pdb  Blush

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video addons debugging infos0