Looking to replace PCI TV Tuner Card
Hi All, 

I am considering replacing my TV tuner card and dedicated media portal tv server with one of these devices. but I have a few questions before I buy that I am hoping someone might be able to answer. 
  1. Will I be able to run 2 of these devices to support 4 TV's in the house? If so, am I able to use tv aerial splitter to connect both devices. 
  2. Has anyone used the DVR service, if so, whats your thoughts? It seems cheap enough if you want them features. 
  3. Are there any issues from your own experience I should be aware of before buying? (Kodi Addon) 

Thanks!
Yes, you can successfully use multiple devices, and split the coax between them. (You may need an amp, as the HDHR tuners tends to be more particular about signal levels than other tuners.)

I have no experience with their DVR software. However, one caveat you might not be aware of is that it requires internet access. Your tuners must "phone home" to SD's servers every two hours, as does the machine running the DVR software. They claim this is to ensure that your DVR software is aware of of all tuners on your network, but I personally find that excuse BS. If you're comfortable with relying on a cloud-connection for your DVR, then it's a reasonable price as it includes the guide data; personally, to sacrifice my independence I'm not willing to do so.
Quote:You may need an amp, as the HDHR tuners tends to be more particular about signal levels than other tuners

Ok thanks for the heads up. We have just had a new aerial installed, which was providing a full signal, so hopefully that won't be an issue. If I do have a problem, then I am assuming something like this will do the job. 

Quote:cloud-connection for your DVR

I didn't notice that when skim reading the website, very valuable point! if using my own storage, why would I want it to have an internet connection! very strange! I would not opt for the service right away anyways, I would need to make sure I need it, as the smart TV's generally have access to all the channel app's so I can always watch catch-up on them. (Except Channel 4! Sad )
Just a had another thought looking around the forum. What plugin would you recommend to use? From what I can gather, there are a couple available. I just want one that allows me to use the LIVE TV menu option and list the channels and information there.
There's a PVR client hosted on the SD forums that integrates with SD's DVR. It is different from the one listed here.

Also, in regards to the cloud connection: the recording rules are all stored on SD's servers, so if your internet connection drops, you may miss recordings.
That is a shame, Are there any other options for pausing a recording live tv? So could the HDHomeRun device partnered up with another backend tool?
(2017-11-10, 09:35)casey03 Wrote: That is a shame, Are there any other options for pausing a recording live tv? So could the HDHomeRun device partnered up with another backend tool?

Using SD's addon (video addon, not this PVR client) with their DVR service you get timeshifting—at least, you're supposed to. I believe the PVR client in SD's forum does timeshifting, too.

You can also use HDHR tuners with other backends. I currently use Tvheadend, but have used MythTV in the past. NextPVR and WMC also work well with them.
Well the HD Home Run device turned up today! OMFG! That was easy! very easy! I am bit worried it was too easy. I only using the default video add-on for now, but the most important thing is, it is working!

Is it possible to reorder the channel list at all? Some channels are missing and I can see you disable them, but cant find a method of reordering them.
The supplied HDHR PVR does not record.

Recording directly from the PVR really doesn't make sense anyway, because Kodi doesn't run as a service.  You would be better off paying SD the $35/year for their DVR capability.  That also buys you a two-week program guide.

Unlike some providers (I'm looking at you, WMC), SD is actually responsive if you report errors in their guide.  I'm not paying for it at this time, but probably will do so at some point.
(2017-11-12, 08:11)MatthewLundberg Wrote: The supplied HDHR PVR does not record.

Recording directly from the PVR really doesn't make sense anyway, because Kodi doesn't run as a service.  You would be better off paying SD the $35/year for their DVR capability.  That also buys you a two-week program guide.

Unlike some providers (I'm looking at you, WMC), SD is actually responsive if you report errors in their guide.  I'm not paying for it at this time, but probably will do so at some point.
 That's the beauty of Kodi & ServerWMC, ability to add custom timer without EPG info. Only channel (So far) without EPG is AMC (Walking Dead) without custom timer I'd be paying a visit to Mr Gates.
I know this thread is getting on now, but maybe its the best place for this question. 

You mention an amp might required to service more TV's, well you was correct. So I have purchased this Signal Booster from SLx  The external aerial connects to the booster and then I have 2 cables running off, 1 goes direct to the Smart TV in the room, the 2nd runs to HDHomeRun device. 

I had to re-tune all the channels for it work, yet for some reason, I am missing channels now, most noticeably the Food Network! (The only channel the wife enjoys!) Now surely, If am using a booster I should at least get the same channels? or am I missing something here, 

If I remove the signal booster, and connect the aerial directly to the TV or HomeRun device, I get more channels than if I use the booster..... 

Any advice would be appreciated!
(2018-01-21, 11:45)casey03 Wrote: I know this thread is getting on now, but maybe its the best place for this question. 

You mention an amp might required to service more TV's, well you was correct. So I have purchased this Signal Booster from SLx  The external aerial connects to the booster and then I have 2 cables running off, 1 goes direct to the Smart TV in the room, the 2nd runs to HDHomeRun device. 

I had to re-tune all the channels for it work, yet for some reason, I am missing channels now, most noticeably the Food Network! (The only channel the wife enjoys!) Now surely, If am using a booster I should at least get the same channels? or am I missing something here, 

If I remove the signal booster, and connect the aerial directly to the TV or HomeRun device, I get more channels than if I use the booster..... 

Any advice would be appreciated!

HDHR tuners are VERY particular about signal strengths, both too weak AND too strong. If your signal is too strong, reception will suffer and you must attenuate the signal.

Supposedly the new HDHR5 models have different tuner chips/hardware that SD claims to not be as particular. However, anecdotal evidence and posts on their forum seems to almost indicate the opposite: the new chips are even more sensitive ... As always, your mileage may vary.
I assume that you've tried reducing the gain, since it is adjustable on that device.  If not, try that first.

One thing that I noticed, is that this amplifier says that it works for FM.  If you have any VHF signals you want to receive, passing the FM on to your receiver will hurt your signal.  If they're bad enough they may even hurt UHF performance.  The description does not say that the amplifier includes a switchable FM trap, and if it doesn't, the only way to kill the FM would be to add a filter.  The FM band sits between physical channels 5 and 6 in the UK.

On the other side of the spectrum is cell phone signals.  Wikipedia tells me that your UHF goes up to ~800 Mhz for digital channels (physical channel 60).  Cell phones will be above that.  You can buy a filter to kill those signals.

The problem with these signals, is that unless these filters are built into the amp, it will amplify these signals too, and they're just noise to a television receiver.  Noise is the enemy.

Otherwise return the amplifier.  I got one of these in the states:
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1Z-Pre...B003P92D9Y
Total trash.  It gives a stronger signal on all the channels, but kills many of them due to noise.

I replaced it with one of these, which works wonders:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GGKOG8
Thanks for all the feedback and input guys, much appreciated.

Still having issues getting that 1 channel to work. Its so annoying! I have tried everything with that amp, just this single channel will not work unless the aerial is connected directly to the TV. So annoying. I am going to try a different cable splitter, just to see if it has any impact.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to replace PCI TV Tuner Card0