Req Kodi for Home Cinema ?
Hello everybody!
May not be the right subforum for that, admin feel free to move my thread, thx!

I am building up a home cinema and there is a big question in the room, which system I should use to control all.

Thinking of one Tablet to conrol all. Electronic devices and all other stuff like selecting a movie via sat, apple tv, fire stick, mediathek and by button Play... all is done automatical and I can whatch the movie. This is my vision.

Now, the question, is Kodi the right way to do that?

THX
Kodi attached to your screen, tablet using kore or yatse for control.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi nickr

Thx but this is too crypti now for me ?

Kodi attached to screen? Do you mean a TV? I will have a Beamer with AV and Lights.
"Screen" can be anything that displays the video signal, so beamer/projector is fine.
Kore and yatse are apps for your mobile phone that allow you to control kodi running somewhere on your network.
Kodi is in itself a media center and no remote control tool for dozens of devices. So Kodi is a program to manage your local media library (movies, tv-shows, music, pictures), can play back LiveTV (if you have a PVR server running or you use IP-TV) and it has add-ons (similar to apps) for various "Mediatheken" and also Amazon Prime and Netflix (the later two work, but won't give you the regular UI of these services and they might have constraints depending on the device you use). So basically all you need is a device that's running Kodi and you should be good to go. Such a device can be a PC with any flavor of OS you prefer, an Android device (like FireTV/Stick or IMO preferably an AndroidTV based box) or some ARM device like the RaspberryPI on which you run something like LibreElec (= minimal Linux OS directly booting into Kodi within seconds, also runs on x86/PCs btw).

Also, Kodi can be controlled remotely, either via webinterface or via one of our official mobile apps (Kore on Android, official Kodi remote on iOS). All of these allow you to browse the library from your Kodi device without interfering with whatever might be currently happening on your TV (watching a movie, listening to music, ...), and also ofc to control the playback and navigate the UI.

Hope things are a little more clear now.

I'd say, just give Kodi a try. You can test all it's functionality right on your current computer, and if you like it, we can give further advice on which hardware to pick for your personal usecase/preferences etc.
One related question... For my TV, I have a remote which interfaces with Kodi via CEC (running on a Raspberry PI) -- runs great.

My beamer on the other hand is connected to my Laptop running Windows 8, and the beamer, I think, doesn't support CEC. Is there some sort of "light weight" remote, similar to a TV remote, available, which I might be able to connect via Bluetooth to my Laptop? I have Yatse and like it, but most of the time, I'd prefer something light. Right now, I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard, but while it's great, it's too big to be "just" a remote.

I'm thinking about something like that, with buttons for numbers / characters, so I can enter titles / pass-codes easily:

Theoretically any bluetooth remote should work. Certainly the ps3 bluetooth bluray remote works and has plenty of buttons.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for Home Cinema ?0