ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting.
I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit, i7-4790k, GTX970.
Kodi version is Krypton 17.5.
For some reason Kodi will not open anymore with 'ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting'. error when I try to start Kodi.
It has worked before, I uninstall/reinstalled Kodi with no results.
I am also running arch Linux on a seperate SSD on this machine and it works fine there still.

Logs on pastebin
Quote: 
  1. 15:25:27.529 T:2356   ERROR: CRenderSystemDX::CreateWindowSizeDependentResources - Creating swap chain failed with error: 8007000E - E_OUTOFMEMORY (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
  3.                                             ).
  4. 15:25:27.529 T:2356   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init rendering system

The error from logs in the pastebin above is quoted.

Have googled around and someone else had this issue with DX11 back in 2016, however did not find any solution from that post.

Any ideas on what the issue is?
bump... anyone know what the error means at all?

ERROR: CRenderSystemDX::CreateWindowSizeDependentResources - Creating swap chain failed with error: 8007000E - E_OUTOFMEMORY (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=167303
Since this is the first thread that came up when I googled this issue myself, and since the only answer posted here is a link to a 5 page thread from 2013 about the same error on Windows XP (super helpful!) I'll post a concise solution that worked for me.

I have a multi-monitor display set at 5760x1080.  Kodi can't hang and gives the can't create GUI error.  If you have a multi-monitor setup, or other very high resolution setup then...

SOLUTION:
1) Temporarily change windows resolution to 1920x1080
2) Open Kodi
3) In Kodi video settings, change from full-screen to windowed.
4) Exit Kodi
5) Change your windows resolution to whatever you had originally.
6) Kodi will now open in a re-sizable window with no error.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting.0