• 3(current)
v18 Implemented feature request for Music library extended artwork support
Fantastic, this feature has been wanted for so long by various people Smile

It essentially means we can go wild with the new artwork types in our skins!
Thanks Super Dave!

I've pushed an update to Artwork Beef master branch that supports artwork in the music library from The Audio DB and Fanart.tv, including "back" and "spine" for albums. I'll mint a new version for adventurous nightly users in a day or two.
(2018-01-01, 05:30)rmrector Wrote: Thanks Super Dave!

I've pushed an update to Artwork Beef master branch that supports artwork in the music library from The Audio DB and Fanart.tv, including "back" and "spine" for albums. I'll mint a new version for adventurous nightly users in a day or two.
 \0/ Awesome!

Just in time to integrate into my new skin work Smile

Next thing would be to get this into the default scrapers I guess...
(2018-01-01, 14:51)docwra Wrote: Next thing would be to get this into the default scrapers I guess... 
I'm not so sure on that. Do we really want the new Python based album and artist scrapers to pick up spines, logos etc. by default or even optionally? My feeling is that fetching this diverse extra art continues to be the job of other addons, but with better support from Kodi core. Using the MBIDs we have in the library of course (more efficient now we have the Musicbrainz release group id stored, and will store scraped mbids if they were not in the music file tags), and a common location for artist artwork. Having default scraping pick up basic thumb and fanart is enough IMO.

But I do have more core changes to make to improve multi-art support.
(2018-01-01, 15:09)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2018-01-01, 14:51)docwra Wrote: Next thing would be to get this into the default scrapers I guess... 
I'm not so sure on that. Do we really want the new Python based album and artist scrapers to pick up spines, logos etc. by default or even optionally? My feeling is that fetching this diverse extra art continues to be the job of other addons, but with better support from Kodi core. Using the MBIDs we have in the library of course (more efficient now we have the Musicbrainz release group id stored, and will store scraped mbids if they were not in the music file tags), and a common location for artist artwork. Having default scraping pick up basic thumb and fanart is enough IMO.

But I do have more core changes to make to improve multi-art support.    
 My personal feeling is you are probably right about things like Cover Spines and back covers, but I would love to see more default scraper artwork support for things like logo's and clearart that are available for all media types.

This will hopefully spur create innovation with all skinners, if its available by default.

Just as an example, the skin I am working on I was hoping to have no Add-on dependencies. But at the moment this rules out any clearart of logo views.
Well I guess what the new default music scrapers actually do will depend on who finally completes them. I have dabbled with what ronie started, but it was my first Python so have stalled. I have so many ideas but not time.

But I would argue strongly for what art is scraped to be optional for the sake of those running Kodi on modest hardware, not all have room for all that cached art. It is right that the details come down to the addons/skins the user chooses, while core simp-ly supports their eifficient use.
I think that scrapers should be able to set all this artwork, and definitely agree that they should be optional.

It bugs me that another add-on is necessary in all cases, at least the video library scrapers are missing this ability (though I have an unmerged PR for that). Splitting this into two different processes is a bit annoying. I think being able to set up multiple scrapers would be a good way to set this up while keeping it easily configurable for users, though that's tough to get to from the current scraper status.

Kodi's texture cache is smart and doesn't cache artwork until a skin displays the exact image, so users with modest hardware can pick simpler skins with options to not display every image available. This also allows such hardware to share NFO files or a MySQL database with more powerful devices.
Next related PR up https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13352
This makes what art Kodi presents to both GUI and JSON getters consistent as discussed above.

In summary:
For songs you get all song art and related album (album.*), song artists (artist.*, artist1.*...) and album artists (albumartist.*, albumartist1.*...) artwork
For albums you get all album and artists (artist.*, artist1.*...) artwork.
ListItem.Art() will work consistently on both library navigation window and music info dialogs.
JSON API returns art likewise.

I'll get a test build up, I would appreciate test feedback.
I would also like help summing up (and publicising) the changes for other skinners.

Come on skinners let the glorious art for music run free Smile

[Next related work for me is changing the art button on the music info dialogs, but those dialogs need a deeper redesign to get the db queries off the main thread I will probably comnbine the rework]
Can't wait to see what people come up with!

I had a quick browse of the code and I'm guessing this does not "scrape" any local artwork yet? I.E. putting clearart.png in the artist or album folder?
(2018-01-12, 21:59)docwra Wrote: I had a quick browse of the code and I'm guessing this does not "scrape" any local artwork yet? I.E. putting clearart.png in the artist or album folder?
No this does not, I think I was pretty clear in the summary, and scraping extra art by default is not work that I will be taking on any time soon. I see scraping as  addon  functionality, so Python guys can pick that up. I would want to see skins and existing addons making use of what new functions Kodi has  before even considering further core changes, if any are needed, and would want some clear requirements too.

Honestly I am reaching the end of this area of expansion for now, there are many other things that need my attention.

Test builds on the mirrors see 20180112-f8f51306-PR13352 e.g. Win64 PR13352
Yep that makes sense to me. Was just interested in how to test it really.
(2018-01-13, 02:01)docwra Wrote:  Was just interested in how to test it really.
Well a valued part of the testing is just making sure that I have not broken anything! That is that the art that appeared before still appears, so a library with lots of art and trying different skins in various ways. Anywhere using ListItem.Property(artistthumb) will not show as that is replaced by ListItem.Art(artist.thumb), but I believe that is only the Titan skin.

Next is to mod a skin to see the full range of standard art availlable everywhere e.g. on album info dialog the songs in control 50 list have both all song and artist art, so use things like Container(50).ListItem.Art(artist1.fanart) on songs with a second song artist. Not about new types of art, but just having consistent access to all the related thumbs and fanart you already have.

Finally is to get into extra art like "clearlogo" etc. That stuff can be set via JSON, or just added to the db manually as a test (edit the art table), or variants of the existing art addons created if you have the skill/knowledge (there may be a version of ArtBeef todo this). Then mod a skin to see what you added.
@DaveBlake

I have tested your test build, all is working fine, all artworks on library (artists, albums and songs), on music visualisation, on playlists, extrafanarts. Thanks for your job !

My Estuary MOD V2 is ready for music artworks with support for Artwork Beef, I'm just waiting for PR is merged before to release it.
 Estuary MOD V2 
Yes I also tested with my regular setup and saw no issues with current artwork logic.

Looking forward to Artwork Beef and Estuary Mod pushing this forward Wink
Thanks Dave! I just got a new device that requires my attention now, but I'll give this a good look this week.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Implemented feature request for Music library extended artwork support0