Soliciting Hardware Advice
Hi guys. It's a nice community here.

Before I go further, I'd like to say that I have read all the stickies and the individual threads but still cannot decide on what's the most suitable device (hardware and software) for my needs.

My current setup works like this.
  • LG OLED 65 C7T: This already comes with webOS 3.5 that supports Amazon Prime, Google Play, Netflix in HDR/Atmos/DTS:X. Hence, the ability to run these apps on my box is not a priority.
  • Marantz SR 7011
  • SVS Prime Towers x 2, SVS Prime Centre x1, SVS Prime Satellites x2, SVS SB-2000 x1, Yamaha ICS-600 x 4 (as Atmos/DTS:X ceiling speakers)
  • Entire Home is Ethernet wired (including the above media devices) with a 1 GBit connection to my ISP

What I need is a device that can support the following:
  • HDR Support: As the LG can support HDR in DV/HDR10/HLG, I would want the device to support these standards too. I understand that DV is not available for any device at this stage but perhaps a shortlist of potential future support?
  • 4K UHD Titles in ISO/MKV
  • Atmos/DTS:X via passthrough or native decoding: I spent quite a sum on the sound system so it makes little sense to have a device fail to support this

What I do NOT require:
  • 3D

At this stage, my shortlists are
  • Minix U9-H flashed to run LibreElec: But there are apparently issues regarding limited duration of support
  • nVidia Shield TV: Issues with 1080p to 4K upscaling, some sound issues noted, no developer announcement of DV support
  • Apple 4K TV: More restricted environment means I cannot use as many apps (technically I only need one killer app for playing files but MrMC does not seem to have as robust a community as, say, LibreElec), DV support announced but oddly enough no Atmos/DTS:X (can it passthrough the signal?)
  • HTPC: Intel NUC or an actual PC with a dedicated GeForce 1050 for DV/Atmos/HDCP support.

Thoughts..?

Thanks in advance!
(2017-11-16, 09:21)Enchilada Wrote:
  • Minix U9-H flashed to run LibreElec: But there are apparently issues regarding limited duration of support
Please explain this further ?
- LE on the S912's - like the U9-H gets the same level of support these days from the LE developer @kszaq as the rest of the S9xx LE family of devices.
MINIX themselves are active with their ongoing Firmware support too, their Android Marshmallow Firmware for example has working SDR REC 709 <<-->> HDR BT2020 auto colorspace switching (not Android resolution switching).

The S912 devices are certainly DolbyVision capable. However they need further Linux Kernel support from AMLogic themselves to enable such a feature I believe.

Quote:
  • Apple 4K TV: More restricted environment means I cannot use as many apps (technically I only need one killer app for playing files but MrMC does not seem to have as robust a community as, say, LibreElec), DV support announced but oddly enough no Atmos/DTS:X (can it passthrough the signal?)
You will find very very competent developers in the MrMC camp, even though as an outward appearance they may seem small.
As an example @davilla aka MrMC for example is one of the top two or three Kodi codebase contributors of all time.
HD Audio gets decoded to lossless Multichannel PCM Audio for no loss in audio quality on the ATV 4K at the moment.
FW 11.2 is looking very tasty from all reports with proper refresh switching, 24p support and auto SDR / HDR / DV switching as well.

All Apple need to do is add support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

I believe the 4K HDR capable HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro and Zidoo X9S may have 4K ISO support with Bluray Menus - no idea how well it all works.

Are you going to be playing a mixture of SDR / HDR 1080p / 4K HDR video content ?
Because ultimately that will determine what hardware to choose - if you do not want to continually be fiddling with device settings.

(2017-11-16, 09:48)wrxtasy Wrote: Please explain this further ?
- LE on the S912's - like the U9-H gets the same level of support these days from the LE developer @kszaq as the rest of the S9xx LE family of devices.
MINIX themselves are active with their ongoing Firmware support too, their Android Marshmallow Firmware for example has working SDR REC 709 <<-->> HDR BT2020 auto colorspace switching (not Android resolution switching).

The S912 devices are certainly DolbyVision capable. However they need further Linux Kernel support from AMLogic themselves to enable such a feature I believe.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there is limited avenue to upgrade the Android OS on the Minix box. Having said that, I suppose it is of little concern if I am intending to flash it with LibreElec anyway.

You will find very very competent developers in the MrMC camp, even though as an outward appearance they may seem small.
As an example @davilla aka MrMC for example is one of the top two or three Kodi codebase contributors of all time.
HD Audio gets decoded to lossless Multichannel PCM Audio for no loss in audio quality on the ATV 4K at the moment.
FW 11.2 is looking very tasty from all reports with proper refresh switching, 24p support and auto SDR / HDR / DV switching as well.

All Apple need to do is add support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

I believe the 4K HDR capable HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro and Zidoo X9S may have 4K ISO support with Bluray Menus - no idea how well it all works.

Unfortunately Multichannel PCM Audio is still not object based audio like Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. The Marantz supports Neural:X upmixing/emulation of multichannel DTS streams but I would prefer native DTS:X/Atmos. At any rate it seems really odd that Apple would cover Dolby Vision whilst ignoring Dolby Atmos - I'm almost certain that Atmos is an eventuality but the lack of an official confirmation makes me hesitant.

I have considered the RealTek devices as well but they seem a little iffy mostly because of inconsistent developer support. For example, Zidoo used to be terrible just one generation of devices ago. And apparently the Kodi that runs on Zidoo which enables the 4K ISO with BD menus are a Zidoo fork - meaning if Zidoo chooses to cease development the box is as good as dead should glaring bugs be present.

Are you going to be playing a mixture of SDR / HDR 1080p / 4K HDR video content ?
Because ultimately that will determine what hardware to choose - if you do not want to continually be fiddling with device settings.

Ideally. 4K UHD Atmos content. But the reality is many TV shows, streaming services, BDs don't have all 3. I also have a back catalogue of 1080p content that I still need access to though that becomes less important as they are replaced by 4k re-master/re-releases.

Any thoughts on a HTPC?

Thanks for the help!
You could do some cheap DIY and just go and try a Gigabit LE $50 S912 like @hdmkv is doing in THIS post
Add something like a Plug N play MINIX A2 lite remote and you are good to go. Kodi's keyboard shortcuts come in real handy after a while with such a Mini Keyboard remote.

Or just bite the bullet for mixed 1080p / 4K HDR playback and get a quality MINIX U9-H. It will certainly run cooler than any other S912 on the market due to proper thermal design.

MINIX have stated in their forums their next FW update for the U9 will be Android Nougat 7.1.1

I have no Intel gear, but keep reading about no HDR support on Kaby Lake with Windows Kodi Krypton. PowerDVD for HDR playback is buggy as well I believe.
No HDR support for LE Intel. LE HD audio passthrough may not be entirely stable yet either.

LE/Linux NVIDIA GeForce does not do 10bit Hardware decoding either which would cause issues for high bitrate 10bit 4K content I would think.

Sounds like I might give the Minix U9-H with an A2 Lite a go.

Pity about the Apple TV 4k though. It seems to be quite a good box if only it supported Object Based Audio.
Hi, 

I am also interested in a HTPC. Does a GT 1030 work with 4k HDR? Or do you need GTX. I assume Kaby Lake is not important if using a GPU?

TY
I vaguely recall the GT1030 lacking some features that the GTX1050 has.

Technology Support:
  NO: Simultaneous Multi-Projection
  NO: VR Ready
  NO: NVIDIA Ansel
  NO: NVIDIA SLI[sup]®[/sup] Ready
  NO: NVIDIA G-SYNC™-Ready
  NO: NVIDIA GameStream™-Ready
  Yes: NVIDIA GPU Boost™

Kaby Lake is probably not as important if you're having a GPU yep.

It's so frustrating that SATV lacks Dolby Vision support whilst having Atmos... Whilst the AT4K lacks Dolby Atmos support whilst having Vision.

Seriously what are these guys thinking?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Soliciting Hardware Advice0