Does kodi 17 support blu-ray?
If I buy a blu-ray drive for a PC on which I have the Kodi 17 - will I be able to watch legal blu-ray movies?
System Windows 10 Media Center PC
Thread moved to Windows
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
OK, thank you very much.
As long a they have already been decrypted or you have a tool that does decryption on the fly then yes.
(2017-11-16, 15:43)jjd-uk Wrote: As long a they have already been decrypted or you have a tool that does decryption on the fly then yes.

decrypted? So does it work like a traditional home theater blu-ray player that inserts a disc and plays a movie? Sad Sad
(2017-11-16, 16:30)szubiseven Wrote:
(2017-11-16, 15:43)jjd-uk Wrote: As long a they have already been decrypted or you have a tool that does decryption on the fly then yes.

decrypted? So does it work like a traditional home theater blu-ray player that inserts a disc and plays a movie? Sad Sad

If by that you mean do we only play direct from the original optical Blu-ray disk, then no that's not the case as you can also play rips made in either ISO, folder structure, or mkv formats, but they must have been decrypted during the ripping process.
Because Kodi does not contain an official Blu-ray decryption license, it is unable to play official Blu-ray discs by itself. You have two options:
You can get an anydvd license from redfox.(not exactly cheep) Here you install a program that runs in the background and decrypts the disc on fly completely seamless and let's Kodi play the disc.

The other option is to use makeMKV (beta license used to be free, maybe still is) this program can make a decrypted 1:1 mkv file of the disc fairly quickly. From what I remember someone on this forum made a script to start the ripping process and play the file making an almost seamless process.

You might be in luck, looks like this little trick still works https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...ht=makeMKV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does kodi 17 support blu-ray?0