Moving Folders in Music Library
I want to move a folder that contains many subfolders to a new location. I then want to make this folder a new, separate source. I moved all of the subfolders to the new location.

I ran update library and clean library but all of the library entries for the music files in those folders are still there. If I play them of course it cannot find the file. Can I simply rescan the files from the new location or will this create double entries for everything?

I'm also curious to know why when I ran 'clean library' these entries weren't removed as I expected.

Thanks
(2017-11-17, 04:24)Tstrbl Wrote: I moved all of the subfolders to the new location.
You don't mention how you did this. Did you do it within Kodi, or through your Operating System. Did you remove the original Source before you added the new Source?

This may be useful depending upon what you did above... http://kodi.wiki/view/Update_Music_Libra...ove_Source Heed the Note at the end.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Kodi is designed to allow music sources to be temporarily missing e.g. on a removable drive, so just because something can not be found during library update does not remove that from the library.

Before moving the folder you should have removed it as a Kodi music source (from file view), and said yes when it asked about removing all items from path as Update_Music_Library#Remove_Source describes.
(2017-11-17, 04:55)Karellen Wrote: You don't mention how you did this. Did you do it within Kodi, or through your Operating System. Did you remove the original Source before you added the new Source?
 Thanks for replying so quickly. Am new to Kodi and still figuring things out.

I moved it through my operating system.

The folder is a sub-folder of the source folder so I could not remove it as a source. I also could not simply 'delete' it as the guide suggest because I want to move the files, add them as a separate source, not delete them.

Do I have to actually delete the files within Kodi's in order to remove them from the library? If I re-add the files from their new location will it double up in the library and so just cause more problems? Why doesn't 'clean library' just recognise that the files are no longer there and remove the associated library items?

I understand that sources may be temporarily disconnected during a library update and that automatically deleting missing items from the library would cause problems, but isn't the 'clean library' function meant to do exactly what I'm trying to do?

Thanks again
Are you sure that you have actually run clean library for the music library? Cleaning music is separate from video, and it is very easy to miss the music library entry as you have to scroll down the settings page to see it. You would not be the first person the clean the video library several times by mistake.
(2017-11-17, 04:24)Tstrbl Wrote: I want to move a folder that contains many subfolders to a new location. I then want to make this folder a new, separate source. I moved all of the subfolders to the new location.

I ran update library and clean library but all of the library entries for the music files in those folders are still there. If I play them of course it cannot find the file. Can I simply rescan the files from the new location or will this create double entries for everything?

I'm also curious to know why when I ran 'clean library' these entries weren't removed as I expected.

Thanks

Remove all music sources in Kodi and choose to remove any items from the library. This will leave your physical music files intact but clean them from the library.
Then, re-add the correct music source, thus forcing a new scan of your music.

Job done.
@DaveBlake

Oh no, I was indeed cleaning the video library! Had to run clean audio library about five times to clean everything, but seems to have worked. Thanks!

This is a separate issue, but does anyone know how I can remove fan art from every library entry? I hate having those ugly photos anywhere near my listening experience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving Folders in Music Library0