Linux can't start Kodi: Failed to find matching visual
I've been stuck with this error for a few days now, and I'm really hoping that a kind and wise person here will point me in the right direction to get me moving again.

After 10 years of faithful service, my old HTPC drive failed. I took the opportunity install a new motherboard and perform a fresh install of the OS and Kodi. Unfortunately Kodi now crashes when I try to start it. I suspect that the issue is related to the (built-in Intel) graphics. Searching the forums for this error shows a bug that should have been fixed for Kodi 17.6.

Here are all the deets:

• debug log
    There are a bunch of audio errors in there that I plan to fix later by installing & configuring PulseAudio. I don't think this is interfering.

• uname -a: Linux nas 4.9.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.51-1 (2017-09-28) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Kodi version17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0xenial

• Linux distro & version: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

• hardware: ASRock J3455-ITX (using built-in Intel graphics)

• install method (ppa:team-xbmc/ppa): apt-get install --no-install-recommends kodi

• how to reproducexinit /usr/bin/kodi-standalone

• Xorg.0.log

Could anyone point this lost soul in the right direction?
1. you don't have the intel gfx driver installed
2. Current Operating System: Linux nas 4.9.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.51-1 (2017-09-28) x86_64
this doesn't look like ubuntu at all
Thank you for your response and for confirming the issue. I appreciate it.
(2017-11-20, 09:57)wsnipex Wrote: 1. you don't have the intel gfx driver installed
Forgive my ignorance, but by "driver" do you mean the VAAPI drivers as described by fritsch? Would you recommend that I follow his instructions? This is my first box with Intel graphics and I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the pieces.
(2017-11-20, 09:57)wsnipex Wrote: 2. Current Operating System: Linux nas 4.9.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.51-1 (2017-09-28) x86_64
this doesn't look like ubuntu at all
Busted. In an effort to not muddy the waters, I left out details of my (probably) unusual setup. Please know I'm not trying to be deceitful and waste anyone's time; I genuinely don't think that these details are relevant.

I use Docker for almost everything on my HTPC, and I run X-based containers via x11docker on a Debian Stretch host. The setup works great for non-Kodi X apps. I can easily run simple stuff like xclock all the way up to full-blown environments like MATE and LXDE. The reason I don't think it's relevant is that I tried installing Kodi directly onto the host (using Debian's older package) and got the exact same error. So to me that ruled out anything Docker or X related and pointed to a driver issue. I know that this setup is not supported and that I'm on my own in many regards, but would still appreciate any guidance.
Your analysis is incorrect. 4.9.x does not support a Broxton even kernel wise. Make sure to install something with proper intel drivers / kms working / libva 1.8.x / kernel >= 4.12 - then the distribution does not matter. Kodi is an OpenGL application and therefore needs 3D acceleration.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-11-20, 21:23)fritsch Wrote: Make sure to install something with proper intel drivers / kms working / libva 1.8.x / kernel >= 4.12 - then the distribution does not matter. Kodi is an OpenGL application and therefore needs 3D acceleration.

Thanks for this info. It gives me something to work towards. I didn't really put together the idea that Kodi needed 3D acceleration, but makes sense now that I see all the references to Mesa.
Got it working! Turns out I was simply missing libgl1-mesa-dri on the Docker host; my setup is otherwise identical to my original post on this thread. I now have Kodi running in a Docker container with VA-API hardware acceleration and PulseAudio. So far it seems to work perfectly.

I'll probably do a proper writeup at some point and will report it here if/when I do so. But for now here's my working Dockerfile, and relevant commands for the Docker host:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install x11-utils x11-xserver-utils xauth xinit xserver-xorg \
i965-va-driver libgl1-mesa-dri pulseaudio
$ x11docker --wm none --xorg --gpu --verbose --homedir /host/path/to/kodi_home --pulseaudio \
  -- "-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -v /media/nas/htpc-media:/media:ro" --name kodi <image-id>
Those commands are largely from memory, so it's possible I missed a piece of the puzzle. I still need to setup Lirc and adjust a few more settings, but I'm optimistic that the bulk of the work is done.

Hope someone finds this useful and I welcome any constructive feedback.
nice! Didn't know about x11docker, looks very interesting
Really cool. Thanks for coming back and posting that solution. At least the mesa hint was a bit helpful :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-11-29, 08:01)k2eric Wrote: I'll probably do a proper writeup at some point and will report it here if/when I do so.
I finally got around to documenting my setup and publishing some Docker images: https://github.com/ehough/docker-kodi

I'd like to start a new thread somewhere in the Kodi forums to announce this and gather some feedback. Do you think I should start a new thread here in the Linux support forum? Supplementary Tools? Or maybe the "Kodi related discussions" forum? Just want to make sure I don't post in the wrong spot. Thanks for any suggestions!
As it's specifically for Linux then make the thread in this section for now.

We can always move it later if needed once is going depending on how it evolves.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
For reference, I've made the thread a sticky one so it's easier to find ( here )
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can't start Kodi: Failed to find matching visual0