directly call kodi's default video player to run video files from command line
I would like to play Video files using the default video player of Kodi as if it were a stand alone player. i.e. from command line how do I call Kodi's internal Videoplayer without actually running Kodi and the rest of its interface ?

Background - I have an Odroid C2 powered by Amlogic S905 and am running Arch linux 3.14 on it. I also have Kodi 17.4 installed on it and that gets GPU acceleration and is capable of playing 4K movies. I have installed mplayer but that is not able to get GPU acceleration for some reason - lack of supported drivers for GPU.
I figured if Kodi's default player can be called directly then I don't need to wait around for mplayer and GPU drivers to be developed.

Thanks
Kodi is a total experience when it comes to playing videos and music. If you prefer standalone players, perhaps MPV player is a better choice for you.
(2017-11-20, 09:17)Klojum Wrote: Kodi is a total experience when it comes to playing videos and music. If you prefer standalone players, perhaps MPV player is a better choice for you.
 That is actually not the intent but a matter of fact caused by the old spaghetti code. Once most of the code got cleaned up, you'll be able to use VideoPlayer standalone, also for transcoding on-the-fly.
(2017-11-20, 10:03)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-11-20, 09:17)Klojum Wrote: Kodi is a total experience when it comes to playing videos and music. If you prefer standalone players, perhaps MPV player is a better choice for you.
 That is actually not the intent but a matter of fact caused by the old spaghetti code. Once most of the code got cleaned up, you'll be able to use VideoPlayer standalone, also for transcoding on-the-fly.

Thanks FernetMenta and klojum.

Fernet, is the code being actively cleaned up towards a point where we can use the video player directly?

I would use the standalone player like mplayer or mpv, but the problem is with amlogic s905 socs only kodi has been able to use gpu acceleration on linux (not android). The standalone players are not able to do that. Any hints on how to figure out why Kodi can use gou acceleration so maybe I can try building standalone players via the same method?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
directly call kodi's default video player to run video files from command line0