Failing to install on Ubutu 17.10
Tried to install Kodi today on Ubuntu 17.10 and got the following error. I followed the instructions here --> http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux

Is this a known issue right now?sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-nMEDQL/1-kodi_2%3a17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0artful_all.deb
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-nMEDQL/2-kodi-bin_2%3a17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0artful_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I have a Hauppage 2250 TV Tuner, and have been using it with Windows for years, but would like to install it on my Linux box and use Kodi with a backend like MythTV.  Am I just looking for problems with this arrangement?
(2017-11-21, 01:02)davidc502 Wrote: Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-nMEDQL/1-kodi_2%3a17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0artful_all.deb
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-nMEDQL/2-kodi-bin_2%3a17.6+git20171114.2125-final-0artful_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
You cut off the actual error message, so it's hard to say what happened here. One guess would be file collision between. Did you have the Ubuntu packaged version of Kodi installed before adding the PPA? If so, you need to delete that first since it has an extra package called kodi-data. Try:

Code:

apt purge kodi-data kodi kodi-bin
apt install kodi kodi-bin

(2017-11-21, 02:58)davidc502 Wrote: I have a Hauppage 2250 TV Tuner, and have been using it with Windows for years, but would like to install it on my Linux box and use Kodi with a backend like MythTV.  Am I just looking for problems with this arrangement?
This should work fine. I use a Kodi frontend with MythTV and an HDHomerun Prime. You'll need to get guide data from somewhere like Schedules Direct.
I tried to install Ubuntu's packaged version first and it failed, but I don't know what was left behind during that attempt before I tried adding the PPA.  When I get home tonight I'll go ahead and purge and try again.

I've subscribed to Schedules Direct for a few years now, so I shouldn't have any issues with the guide. 

Thanks -- Will report back tonight on what happens.
Thanks for the help... I was able to install Kodi and the backend for MythTV -- Great almost there.. However, I can't seem to find the PVR add-on? Seems the instructions were made for an earlier version of Kodi? Also, I accidentally removed TV from the left hand bar of the main menu.. How do I get it back? Thanks -----

Current Instructions -- 

3 Connecting Kodi to MythTV Note: Most versions of Kodi have the PVR add-ons included by default. Your first step in setting up a given PVR add-on is to enable it by going to Settings -> Add-ons -> Disabled add-ons -> PVR and selecting your add-on and then pressing "enable".[[url=javascript:collapseTable(0);]show[/url]]For Ubuntu clients click "SHOW" for PVR add-on install instructions
  1. Enable Kodi TV at Settings -> TV
  2. Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients and select the MythTV add-on
  3. Select "Configure"
(2017-11-22, 01:06)davidc502 Wrote: Thanks for the help... I was able to install Kodi and the backend for MythTV -- Great almost there.. However, I can't seem to find the PVR add-on? Seems the instructions were made for an earlier version of Kodi? Also, I accidentally removed TV from the left hand bar of the main menu.. How do I get it back? Thanks -----

Current Instructions -- 

3 Connecting Kodi to MythTV Note: Most versions of Kodi have the PVR add-ons included by default. Your first step in setting up a given PVR add-on is to enable it by going to Settings -> Add-ons -> Disabled add-ons -> PVR and selecting your add-on and then pressing "enable".[[url=javascript:collapseTable(0);]show[/url]]For Ubuntu clients click "SHOW" for PVR add-on install instructions
  1. Enable Kodi TV at Settings -> TV
  2. Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients and select the MythTV add-on
  3. Select "Configure"

Code:
sudo apt install kodi-pvr-mythtv
Okay... thanks for all of your help so far.. Ready for the next issue? I've now installed mythtv-database however, when I get this error when it tries to start...  I've tried the "default" user/pass, but something is wrong. I'm not sure why /etc/mysql/debian.cnf doesn't exist.

davidc502@pc2:/var/run$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
mysql: [ERROR] Could not open required defaults file: /etc/mysql/debian.cnf
mysql: [ERROR] Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted!
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Failed to create or modify database (incorrect admin username/password?)
Well scratch the above... I got tired of trying to mess with the backend/database configuration, and removed them both and just installed the entire mythtv package which also includes the frontend.  Now the database runs, but the backend can't connect.. Doesn't appear sql is listening on port 3306 which is what the backend expects.   I'm still looking.

*EDIT*

I now have the database listening on port 3306, however the backend still can't connect.  Following errors in the sql log.  It just looks like this program is going to fight me the entire way as nothing is set by default which is crazy.

2017-11-22T03:18:24.680945Z 258 [Note] Access denied for user 'mythtv'@localhost (using password: YES)
Instructions from MythTV are here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

Which mythtv packages do you have installed? Do you have mythtv-backend-master or mythtv-database installed? Those one create the database user for you.
Have you edited /etc/mythtv/config.xml?  By default, myth puts in some randomized password.  Edit this to your password of choice, then run mythtv-backend setup and it should ask you to enter the database name (mythconverg) and the password after the language page.  Alternatively, I believe running sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database and possibly mythtv-common allows you to enter the mysql and mythtv user passwords.  Myth is great, but quite fiddly to initially set up.
Thanks for the help... The backend is now talking to the database Smile  It was the random password in the .xml that threw it off.  I'm recording a 4 day marathon with the TV tuner card in Windowz, so come Monday night I'll likely throw it in the Linux machine and start working on the channels and guide.  Currently I use NextPVR on Windowz, does anyone know if Kodi is as good working with the guide etc?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failing to install on Ubutu 17.100