Video freezes momentarily while audio continues...
Hi,

I've experienced this bug ever since running macOS 10.13 beta 4.
Before logging this bug, I decided to wait until macOS 10.13.1 and Kodi 17.6 were released but unfortunately the bug remains.
I don't recall macOS 10.12.6 having this issue nor prior versions of Kodi/XBMC.

OSX Version:
macOS 10.13.1 (17B48)
  17.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.2.0: Fri Sep 29 18:27:05 PDT 2017; root:xnu-4570.20.62~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
  SIP Disabled

Platform:
Macmini Late 2014
  Macmini7,1  Intel Core i7 3 GHz
  Intel Iris 1536 MB
  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  251 GB Flash Storage

HDMI out to Sharp LCD TV (LC42D83X)
  Toslink out to Sony Receiver STR-DE497
  5.1 speaker setup

Install Method:
dmg

Version:
  Git:20171114-a9a7a20
  Compiled Nov 14 2017
  Config is set to change Sharp panel to match source file (24Hz, 50Hz 60Hz) with 2s delay.

Skin:
  Estuary (Skin Default for all options)

Instructions to Reproduce the Problem:
Playing any video file that is H264 encoded, I have GPU acceleration enabled.
All I have to do is wait and the freeze of video will eventually occur while audio is unaffected.
Freezing rarely occurs at the same place on the timeline if I rewind and resume playback (which is what I'm doing to negate issue if scene is worth the effort)
The freeze may occur once or up to a dozen times throughout the video(s).
While the freeze is occurring, I'm not able bring up the overlay by pressing "p" on keyboard or able to rewind (left arrow key) until freeze ceases.

Source File(s):
  Any MPEG4-Part10 file typically experiences this issue. Audio can be any format with n channels as it doesn't seem to matter.
  Source file(s) reside on SMB share from macOS 10.13.0 Server via CopperGigabit smart switch.
  File Information while issue occurred:
General
Complete name                    : /Volumes/TVShows/TVCurrent/(withheld)/Season 01/(withheld) - 0101.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
Format version                   : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                        : 1.92 GiB
Duration                         : 54mn 39s
Overall bit rate mode            : Variable
Overall bit rate                 : 5 032 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2017-11-18 13:09:35
Writing application              : mkvmerge v17.0.0 ('Be Ur Friend') 64-bit
Writing library                  : libebml v1.3.5 + libmatroska v1.4.8
DURATION                         : 00:54:07.810000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES                 : 933
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                  : 26776
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP          : mkvmerge v17.0.0 ('Be Ur Friend') 64-bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC     : 2017-11-18 13:09:35
_STATISTICS_TAGS                 : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 4 292 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 15.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Original frame rate              : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Default                          : Yes
Forced                           : No
Color primaries                  : BT.709
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : E-AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Format settings, Endianness      : Big
Codec ID                         : A_EAC3
Duration                         : 54mn 39s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 250 MiB (13%)
Language                         : English
Default                          : Yes
Forced                           : No

Text
ID                               : 3
Format                           : UTF-8
Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language                         : English
Default                          : No

Debug Log:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/26010933/

Fortunately, the freeze occurred almost instantly once my panel's refresh rate changed to 24Hz to match the source, so the log file is nice and small.
I pressed pause once the freeze stopped and Quit (Cmd-Q) out of Kodi.

Is anyone else able to confirm this issue? as I searched before posting and only found the same issue in the Raspberry Pi section:
(https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2670587)

Thank you for your efforts Devs! I've used XBMC/Kodi for over 10 years now and this is the first time I've been caught up on an issue.

mmm,

I take it that no one else is/has experienced this issue...  Huh
Any chance you can test a current nightly and tell if it behaves any better for you?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Will do.

If the problem is still present, I'll erase the Macmini and do a clean install given that no others seem to have this issue.

ta
Maybe others simply don't care - it unfreezes after a while - right?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I wonder if this is related to the problem I posted about here: 

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2653099

I get recurrent frame freezes/sticking at seemingly 1 second intervals. I've seen it for multiple file types.
I've just erased my Mac mini and reinstalled macOS 10.13.1 from a USB installer and I'm seeing the same video freezes…  Huh

Switching off hardware encoding and the problem goes away. (cpu jumps to about 45% instead of ~7%)

I'm guessing it's the newOS but I'm just surprised that others using a Mac mini haven't encountered this…

I'll play around with a custom XML file and see if I can either disable buffer or enable buffer (depending of what Kodi's default config is)
(2017-11-28, 15:27)loungeroommac Wrote: I've just erased my Mac mini and reinstalled macOS 10.13.1 from a USB installer and I'm seeing the same video freezes…  Huh

Switching off hardware encoding and the problem goes away. (cpu jumps to about 45% instead of ~7%)

I'm guessing it's the newOS but I'm just surprised that others using a Mac mini haven't encountered this…

I'll play around with a custom XML file and see if I can either disable buffer or enable buffer (depending of what Kodi's default config is)
I saw it immediately, same day I upgraded to High Sierra. I use a work laptop (macbook pro) and I watch videos every day when I take the train to work. Before I upgraded, I never had a single problem and Kodi always worked flawlessly. The day I updated to High Sierra, on the train ride home the same video I was watching in the morning started periodically freezing, just as you described. It's definitely happening to other people. There was another thread (I think you were on it) where a few chimed in. High Sierra is relatively new, but this is definitely a bug. Whether it's Kodi's or Apple's problem, who knows, but there is definitely an issue. It's been about a week since I installed High Sierra. It is consistent and annoying. The problem with submitting a debug log is it sometimes takes 15 or more minutes to see a stutter, but I'll do it if that is necessary...
Fortunately for me, the freeze happened almost instantly when I endeavoured to log it but I'm guessing the devs would like another log of some sorts to narrow this down.

Your laptop, does it have intel GPU only? so far, only another Mac mini has reported this and so am curious if you're lappy has intel GPU only. (will help devs perhaps)

ta
(2017-11-22, 23:22)Memphiz Wrote: Any chance you can test a current nightly and tell if it behaves any better for you?
 Hey Memphiz,

Erased and installed a new instance of macOS 10.13.1 last night and just ran the nightly tonight (kodi-20171128-d5f9097-master-x86_64) – still getting the video freezes unfortunately.

Haven't played with any custom config xml settings yet… am kind've content to render via CPU until the devs ask more of me.

Cheers,
(2017-11-29, 08:51)loungeroommac Wrote: Fortunately for me, the freeze happened almost instantly when I endeavoured to log it but I'm guessing the devs would like another log of some sorts to narrow this down.

Your laptop, does it have intel GPU only? so far, only another Mac mini has reported this and so am curious if you're lappy has intel GPU only. (will help devs perhaps)

ta

macOS High Sierra v10.13.1
 MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics   Radeon Pro 455 2 GB               Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
Hi Devs,

I haven't heard anything and so am wondering how to proceed.

Would you like me to log this a bug?
(2017-12-03, 14:30)loungeroommac Wrote: Hi Devs,

I haven't heard anything and so am wondering how to proceed.

Would you like me to log this a bug?
I have the same problem, video freezes and if I ff Kodi crashes.
When I switch off HW acceleration ("VTBDecoder")it runs smoothly with higher CPU load...
It does not happen with all videos. I use recordings from German TV. My feeling is that it happens with 50Hz videos?
Any Idea someone ?
/BJ
Like you say, doesn't happen for all videos, but the temporary freeze occurs for all filetypes for me, eg 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz.
Hi johannes3 I had the same symptom as yours, followed by a crash of KODI 17.6 on my Mac OS X 10.11.4 system El Capitan.

I did the same you did: "switch off HW acceleration" with Easy Advanced Settings and I also put "Enable HQ Scalers for scaling above" 0%.
This seems to have fixed it: smooth run and no crash...

Wasn't it the same for you ? You said "it runs smoothly with higher CPU load..." so it fixed the freezing, right ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video freezes momentarily while audio continues...0