Using back button to stop video?
Hi everyone

I'm running Leia nighties with Transparency skin on Nvidia Shield. As the NVidia remote does not have a "stop" key, I'm wondering if it's possible to set Kodi to stop video when pressing the "back" button. Now the system goes back to the previous menu, but the video keeps playing on the background, which by the way makes the system very laggy.

I know this might be open for debate, but I feel that if I press the back button to leave the movie and go back to the menues, the playback should stop, more if keeping it running + the load of the skin would put a lot of load on the box.

Thanks !!!

Max
Completely disagree with you. I absolutely love that feature. It allows me to continue watching and listening to the video while I see what my PVR has, or is about to, record. Schedule another recording, browse the TV Guide. Check out the latest movie or TV Show that was added to my system, etc etc etc.

If you don't like it, then you will need to re-map your buttons... http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Press OK then Stop.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-11-26, 03:23)nickr Wrote: Press OK then Stop.
 That wouldn't be a good solution, as the default option on the menu (after pressing OK) is pause, not Stop. This means I'll have to press OK, navigate to the Stop option, and then press OK again... not so friendly for a function that should be easily available like the Stop. 
Quote:If you don't like it, then you will need to re-map your buttons... Keyboard (wiki)
​​​​​​
Is there a way to force 2 actions for one press? The back-button if needed for navigation on the skin. So, the only remapping that I see as a solution is to send a Back + Stop each time that the Back button is pressed... I don't think this is possible...

While I understand why some people sees this as a nice feature, I'd love to see a way to disable it. The fact that the system becomes so slow and kind of unresponsive (on "good enough HW" like the Shield) kills the user experience

Kr

Max
There are separate actions for press and long-press, so a long press on back could be mapped to stop.

Or just get a decent remote!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-11-26, 03:08)Karellen Wrote: Completely disagree with you. I absolutely love that feature. It allows me to continue watching and listening to the video while I see what my PVR has, or is about to, record. Schedule another recording, browse the TV Guide. Check out the latest movie or TV Show that was added to my system, etc etc etc.
I'd have to disagree with that. How much of the video are you actually seeing (and enjoying) while being busy with any of those other tasks? Smile
I have remapped the Back button on the Wetek HUB remote to stop a video, as it suits me fine. The only thing that is needed I guess is the key code of the Shield's remote back button.

(2017-11-26, 08:57)nickr Wrote: Or just get a decent remote!
There is nothing wrong with the remote. Some people just want different functionality.
I also prefer to stop the video when pressing back so I added this my keymap -

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
    <FullscreenVideo>
        <keyboard>
            <backspace>Stop</backspace>
        </keyboard>
    </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

If you don't want to mess around editing keymaps you can also use the Keymap Editor addon - just edit the 'fullscreen video' back function to stop.
(2017-11-26, 10:12)Hitcher Wrote: I also prefer to stop the video when pressing back so I added this my keymap -

xml:
<keymap>
    <FullscreenVideo>
        <keyboard>
        </keyboard>
    </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

If you don't want to mess around editing keymaps you can also use the Keymap Editor addon - just the fullscreen video back function to stop.
To add to that, you can also add
xml:
[...]
  <keyboard>
    <backspace mod="longpress">FullScreen</backspace>
  </keyboard>
[...]
So you can have it both.
Assign shot-press to what you use most, and long-press to the most occasional one
I have to completely agree with the first poster as well. Never saw any use in this behaviour, it's just confusing for the average user, and especially on e.g Android (TV), where most applications stop their playback on the back-button.

The question is, is there a way to both stop, and go back, using the back button with a single press? Like e.g. in youtube on ATV. Or perhaps that should be considered as a new feature  Smile
Long-press stops the video in Krypton, I haven't tried Leia but I assume it's the same. If you want to change the behaviour just follow Koying's post above.
(2017-11-26, 10:12)Hitcher Wrote:
xml:
<keymap>
    <FullscreenVideo>
        <keyboard>
        </keyboard>
    </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

If you don't want to mess around editing keymaps you can also use the Keymap Editor addon - just the fullscreen video back function to stop.

Thanks Hitcher !!! (and Koyng for complementing the answer)

So, if I understand correctly, this keymap modifies the behavior of that key only when reproducing fullscreen video (the back will behave as back when navigating on menues) right?

That is what I was missing... I though that keymaps were global (once defined as stop, will behave as stop in all circumstances, so I loose the "back" function)

I'll change the conf tomorrow. Thanks for your time and your help

Kr

Max
There are global actions and actions for a particular scenario, with the scenario overriding the global. Probably better explained here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap#Structure

(I wish more people would actually look in the wiki)
(2017-11-26, 02:30)Maxi Wrote: As the NVidia remote does not have a "stop" key, I'm wondering if it's possible to set Kodi to stop video when pressing the "back" button. Now the system goes back to the previous menu, but the video keeps playing on the background, which by the way makes the system very laggy.
 People have been requesting an option for this in XBMC/Kodi for years. Modern remotes do not have stop buttons (Firestick, Roku, nVidia). Streaming apps have interfaces that don't require a physical stop button. I stopped using Kodi because of clunky issues like this.
(2018-02-16, 11:28)Prizm4 Wrote:
(2017-11-26, 02:30)Maxi Wrote: As the NVidia remote does not have a "stop" key, I'm wondering if it's possible to set Kodi to stop video when pressing the "back" button. Now the system goes back to the previous menu, but the video keeps playing on the background, which by the way makes the system very laggy.
 People have been requesting an option for this in XBMC/Kodi for years. Modern remotes do not have stop buttons (Firestick, Roku, nVidia). Streaming apps have interfaces that don't require a physical stop button. I stopped using Kodi because of clunky issues like this.   
Can't you just press Ok button to open the OSD then OK to Stop, it's only 2 button presses.

Or alternatively, install the Keymap Editor and assign the Back button yourself, it's not a big job.
(2018-02-16, 11:28)Prizm4 Wrote:  People have been requesting an option for this in XBMC/Kodi for years. Modern remotes do not have stop buttons (Firestick, Roku, nVidia). Streaming apps have interfaces that don't require a physical stop button. I stopped using Kodi because of clunky issues like this. 

Which is what makes Kodi so versatile, you can change it to whatever action you want. Some people like that it does what it does, others want it to stop playback. There is no pleasing everyone with a default action.

If you want it to stop playback, just install the Keymap Editor add-on and map it to stop. It's that simple.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using back button to stop video?0