How to obtain Hi fi sound quality via Kodi?
Hi everyone, I use Kodi (installed on a Minix media player) more than anything to stream classical music from an extensive library held on several hard drives. Unfortunately, it’s often like listening to short wave radio. Definitely lo fi, with fuzzes and buzzes, especially in louder parts. 

I’m not sure what the reason is. I’ve ripped lots of my own CDs myself, using dBpoweramp’s ripper with its “secure” settings (involving multiple passes apparently). Sampling the playback quality with Window’s Groove Music software on the computer produces brilliant sounds. 

Here’s my setup: 

Flac files on computer hard drives. The computer doubles as my work computer, and is in my home office on the upstairs floor of the house. 

The computer is connected to an Asus router (RT-AC66U) by Ethernet. The router is connected to a Minix media player (a Neo U1) downstairs in the sitting room, also an Ethernet connection. Kodi is installed on the Minix player. 

The Minix is connected to a receiver, a Marantz SR7008, by HDMI cable. And the Marantz is finally connected to a couple of Martin Logan electrostatics. 

So as far as I can see, there are 4 places where the sound quality could get mucked up - six if we count the Ethernet and HDMI cables: computer files, Asus router, Minix player, Marantz receiver. 

I’m not really sure whether this is a Kodi problem, or a Minix problem, or a bit of both. I also suspect the Ethernet connections. The distance between the router and the Minix player is 5-7 metres of cabling I would think. 

I’d appreciate any feedback on this, if anybody has experienced anything similar. I’m sure I’ve left information out, but if I have, just ask. Just hope I've managed to explain myself properly. 

Best,
Pluto1946
I suspect Android is the problem, it’s really not the best platform if you are fussy about getting the best audio experience.
jjd may be right.  I can't say from understanding Android but I do have several similar components or configurations as you do Pluto.  I ethernet stream from a Synology NAS via the same Asus router as you to an Asus Chromebox running the latest Kodi and LibreElec then on to a Marantz SR7010 via HDMI (I can also run usb digital from the Asus to an Emotiva DC-1 DAC for 2-ch analog output).  I have no issues with poor sound under either circumstance.

Since your AVR is network capable are you able to stream directly from your hard drives to see if the sound is better/worse?  Perhaps that can provide some clues as to where you problems are.
(2017-11-27, 22:31)jjd-uk Wrote: I suspect Android is the problem, it’s really not the best platform if you are fussy about getting the best audio experience.
 Thanks jjd-uk, I see another steep learning curve on the horizon :-)
(2017-11-27, 23:18)jasn Wrote: jjd may be right.  I can't say from understanding Android but I do have several similar components or configurations as you do Pluto.  I ethernet stream from a Synology NAS via the same Asus router as you to an Asus Chromebox running the latest Kodi and LibreElec then on to a Marantz SR7010 via HDMI (I can also run usb digital from the Asus to an Emotiva DC-1 DAC for 2-ch analog output).  I have no issues with poor sound under either circumstance.

Since your AVR is network capable are you able to stream directly from your hard drives to see if the sound is better/worse?  Perhaps that can provide some clues as to where you problems are.
 OK, thanks jasn. In addition to the hard drives on the computer, I'm linked up to a Qnap NAS as well. That's my backup station number two. Number one's up in the clouds.

I spent about two years (on and off, not 24//7) getting the hang of XBMC in its day. I had no idea about sharing files, accessing them via XBMC on a media player, or anything at all. I had no idea what questions to ask either. I was like the proverbial chimpanzee hitting keys on the typewriter, hoping something intelligible would pop out. I did read the Wikis and the help files, but they all presuppose knowledge of a specialized lingo, which I lacked completely - and still do.

I like my current setup mainly because it's really convenient. I was wondering though, if an Android media player isn't best option for hifi, what type of player would you recommend? Could I use the Emotiva DC-1 DAC? You say you connect to it from the Asus router via a usb digital. Is a usb digital a sort of cable?

I'll try running an ethernet cable directly from the hard drive to the Marantz receiver tomorrow, and see what happens. I'm sure you're both right, that it's the Android platform that's to blame.

I haven't got Kodi on the computer. I don't know whether I should. I downloaded Libreelec, but it's asking which version I want to run (from Cubox and Hummingboard to WeTek Play 2), all of which is double Dutch to me. Just haven't the foggiest what these words mean or where and what an image file is when it's at home. I feel like Regan in The Exorcist with her head pivoted at 180 degrees.

anyway, time for a bit shuteye.

Talk tomorrow - if me head's still on.
That Minx box is a Amlogic 905 device I think, in which case you maybe able to run LibreElec on it from USB or SD card.
This is not necessarily an Android problem. There are Android devices that support Hi-Res audio output- nVIDIA Shield supports Hi-Res stereo audio in Kodi, Realtek RTD1295 SoC devices such as Zidoo X9S, X10 support even multichannel Hi-Res audio (only in native player). The problem here is with Amlogic SoC which doesn't support Hi-Res audio output at least via HDMI. Can't say whether it is different with USB output.

See here: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9319-8...#post71046
Your ethernet cables cannot be the problem, nor the router. The thing about digital is that it arrives as it leaves - if there is corruption the frame is resent (over tcp anyway).

Get a raspberry pi and a decent hifi addon board.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-11-28, 09:34)nickr Wrote: Your ethernet cables cannot be the problem, nor the router. The thing about digital is that it arrives as it leaves - if there is corruption the frame is resent (over tcp anyway).

Get a raspberry pi and a decent hifi addon board.
 Many thanks to jjd-uk, wesk05 and nickr for chipping in :-) Sorry about my little rant yesterday night. Before buying the Minx, I used different editions of the WD media player, and don't recall having the same audio problems. One thing I haven't checked, which I'll also do today, is whether the connections from the receiver to the loudspeakers are completely secure. I'm using gold-plated banana plugs which have a tendency to get loose. Should have thought of that before. But I'll absolutely have a look at getting a raspberry. That might do the trick. I'll also study the other suggestions about running libreelec on the Minx, for example, and the link to the posting. Beginning to feel a bit optimistic.

best,
Chris
If checking your cables doesn't yield anything, then to get LibreElec on the Minx see https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5556-h...12-device/ and https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9319-8...905-s905x/

For no further expense that will tell you if what you hear is due to the Minx Android implementation.

What you need would seem to LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.1.1.img.gz from https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/8.2.1.1/
and gxbb_p200_2G_minix_neo_u1.dtb from https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/device_trees/S905/
(2017-11-28, 01:06)Pluto1946 Wrote: I haven't got Kodi on the computer. I don't know whether I should. I downloaded Libreelec, but it's asking which version I want to run (from Cubox and Hummingboard to WeTek Play 2), all of which is double Dutch to me. Just haven't the foggiest what these words mean or where and what an image file is when it's at home. I feel like Regan in The Exorcist with her head pivoted at 180 degrees.

Installing Kodi on your computer might give you a better idea of whether Kodi performs to your requirements (no reason it shouldn't), and might give you a yardstick against which to measure the Minx audio performance, however LibreElec is probably not the best choice for a computer if you mean by that pc you do other things with. What OS is on your computer?
(2017-11-28, 12:31)jjd-uk Wrote: If checking your cables doesn't yield anything, then to get LibreElec on the Minx see https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5556-h...12-device/ and https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9319-8...905-s905x/

For no further expense that will tell you if what you hear is due to the Minx Android implementation.

What you need would seem to LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.1.1.img.gz from https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/8.2.1.1/
and gxbb_p200_2G_minix_neo_u1.dtb from https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/device_trees/S905/
Thanks, I'll check that out - drowning in work at the mo, so I'm not sure how far I'll get today, but I'll report on progress.
(2017-11-28, 12:38)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-11-28, 01:06)Pluto1946 Wrote: I haven't got Kodi on the computer. I don't know whether I should. I downloaded Libreelec, but it's asking which version I want to run (from Cubox and Hummingboard to WeTek Play 2), all of which is double Dutch to me. Just haven't the foggiest what these words mean or where and what an image file is when it's at home. I feel like Regan in The Exorcist with her head pivoted at 180 degrees.

Installing Kodi on your computer might give you a better idea of whether Kodi performs to your requirements (no reason it shouldn't), and might give you a yardstick against which to measure the Minx audio performance, however LibreElec is probably not the best choice for a computer if you mean by that pc you do other things with. What OS is on your computer? 
OK, I'll give it a try. Pretty sure it's not Kodi as such, though. I'm running Windows 10 build 1703 with the latest updates. I tried build 1709, but that mucked up the search feature in Outlook, so I went back. 

Cheers!
Pluto1946 sound quality has always been important to me, and Kodi on RPi2 (LibreElec) is now my main media source and sounds absolutely great. CDs ripped to FLAC (with checking for accuracy) sound better than the original disc on a Meridian transport (same DAC). The Pi is connected to Arcam DAC via USB, music is off on a Synology NAS drive via 1 GBit ethernet (but was happy on 100MBit).

Sorry no help with your particular equipment, but just to say that Kodi can do the job. Oh and that a RPi makes an excellent dedicated media player for minimal cost and effort (paired with a suitable DAC of course).
(2017-11-28, 13:01)Pluto1946 Wrote: OK, I'll give it a try. Pretty sure it's not Kodi as such, though. I'm running Windows 10 build 1703 with the latest updates. I tried build 1709, but that mucked up the search feature in Outlook, so I went back. 

Cheers!

Note I just wanted to give you an extra option to give you an idea of what quality to expect from Kodi before going to any additional expense, since it's Windows OS you just need the Windows build from https://kodi.tv/download then when configuring the audio device make sure the WASAPI option is chosen for whatever output you are using e.g. HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to obtain Hi fi sound quality via Kodi?0