Solved Kodi 17.x nVidia Shield (2017) playback keeps quitting
Kodi versions tested: 17.2, 17.5 and 17.6, I'm using MySQL for the shared database.
Device: nVidia Shield (2017), model P2897, version 7.0 hardwired Gb network. Shield Android TV System version 6.2 (24.32.406.417)
Android security patch November 5, 2017, kernel 3.10.96+ (Nov 19, 2017), build NRD90M.2427173_1007.9973.
Video files are stored on a NAS and the shares are shared over SMB.

I've tested several video files and they all do the same thing.

Symptom:
Playback keeps quitting, several times during the playback of a video file and reverts back to the menu.
Clicking the video file again allows continuing where the video stopped.
A few minutes later (typically 3 - 6 minutes each time) it stops again and reverts back to the menu again.

Log: https://pastebin.com/PMK0cNEU
I reduced the log as much as I could, from the start of the playback until Kodi writes back to the database where it left off after crashing playback.

I've tried the same Kodi version (17.6) with a $39 cheap Android box, using the same network connection and cable, and there it plays just fine.

Does anyone have any advise on how to resolve this, or should this be logged in a bug report of some sorts?
FYI: I've looked through the forum (and asked Mr. Google) and the issues I have seen so far seem different than the one I'm experiencing.
XBMC (OpenElec) on AppleTV (1st gen), Intel Atom, AMD Fusion (with Boblight), Raspberry Pi, K1Plus Android x905 (LibreElec), nVidia Shield 2017.

www.tweaking4all.com
www.tweaking4all.nl
www.weethet.nl
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the reply.
I only reduced the size of the log based on complaints in other posts.
Here is the full log of the replicated issues: https://pastebin.com/0F2rAUYQ
XBMC (OpenElec) on AppleTV (1st gen), Intel Atom, AMD Fusion (with Boblight), Raspberry Pi, K1Plus Android x905 (LibreElec), nVidia Shield 2017.

www.tweaking4all.com
www.tweaking4all.nl
www.weethet.nl
Hello

If you have your NAS set up on the shield as storage, you may want to try disconnecting that. There is also apparently a bug in the Shield updates starting at 6.1 that will disconnect your ethernet port periodically, usually when the Shield is sleeping. When it wakes up you will not be able to connect to anything on your network, including the internet. If you come across this problem, being that you use the ethernet port, you will want to restart the Shield to get it to connect again, for a while. You will find that the Shield, while a great player, when it works, is a bit buggy and customer service is quick to let you know that you are the only one with your problem and you should check your setup as the first step in the troubleshooting process. Another thing that you might check is to see if you have IPv6 turned off on the Shield.

Mark
Thanks for the tips Mark.
My NAS is a QNAP, and not setup as a storage for the Shield.
Also the issue occurs right after a fresh start (cold boot) of the nVidia Shield, each and every time.

Based on your tip though, I'm testing now with IPv6 disabled and the "Scanning for networks" option disabled, in the network settings.
Just a gut feeling, after snooping through the debug, that the network connection seems to be dropped frequently.
Having seen issue with IPv6 in a corporate network, I figured ... give it a try.

So far it's been working excellent (knock on wood).
Been playing videos for 2 hours now, without a hickup.
Before disabling IPv6 and Scanning for Networks I'd have playback quit every 3 to 6 minutes, so this looks promising.

www.tweaking4all.com
www.tweaking4all.nl
www.weethet.nl
Just a follow up;
Disabling IPv6 and "Scanning for Network" in the [Android] network settings seems to have fixed it.
2 evening s now without a single interruption.
Just thought that the confirmation might be helpful for other nVidia Shield and/or Android TV users.

www.tweaking4all.com
www.tweaking4all.nl
www.weethet.nl
(2017-11-30, 03:35)Hansaplast Wrote: Just a follow up;
Disabling IPv6 and "Scanning for Network" in the [Android] network settings seems to have fixed it.
Just thought that the confirmation might be helpful for other nVidia Shield and/or Android TV users.
 dealing with this issue as well, was having the same issue with my 2nd gen firetv as well with kodi krypton.  streaming from a synology 1812+ running the latest DSM, over a gigabit connection through a ubiquiti switch.  we'll be watching a show, MKV around 1.2GB and it will randomly stop and go back to the kodi directory listing of that show.  We can usually resume playing it from the point where it stopped.  on the firetv, it would immediately goto screensaver when it would stop.  i'll try disabling the kodi screensaver
This seems to have fixed my problem also. Similar situation on Shield (2017) with Synology NAS running MySQL, tvheadend and all media over NFS shares. Wired gigabit ethernet all the way via switches, it doesn't get much faster.

Free to air TV via tvheadend would drop out every hour or so. Listening to music would stop periodically. ABC iView (streaming video over internet) would also stop and this really has nothing to do with the NAS. The Netflix app doesn't show the same problem so there is a leaning to suspect Kodi but I think Netflix are aware of the problem and have a buffer large enough to handle the 10 second or so drop out. I feel if the Kodi buffers were increased it may also solve the problem.

This pretty much confirms it is not a Kodi issue. For whatever reason it would appear the Shield is temporary disconnecting the ethernet port for several seconds every hour or so even if it is not sleeping. I have identical setups on Apple MacBook, Windows Surface Pro, SolidRun CuBox, Samsung Galaxy Tab A (over WiFi) and all work really well.
I'm having similar issues.

Shield 6.3, Kodi, ethernet port, random freezes. Before finding this thread, I suspected IPV6 as I noticed that even with IPV6 disabled, the system had an IPV6 address (I assume auto-generated as I have no IPV6 DHCP server on the network). If I toggled IPV6 on and off again, the IPV6 address went away, but came back again sometime later. Basically doing anything that connected to the network seemed to generate it.

Having read this thread, I went to check the Scanning Networks setting but I already had it turned off.

I've just tried switching from STATIC to DHCP and the IPV6 address did not appear to regenerate (or at least not as fast). Testing now to see if it has any benefit.

In summary, I have IPV6 and Scanning Networks turned off, and have reverted to DHCP.

You my friend have fixed weeks of annoyance of which I have bought and replaced hardware in my server to no avail....

This has seemingly fixed the issue I had with Kodi and Plex randomly stopping during playback.

Thanks!
 This definitely did NOT work for me with my new Shield.  It exited twice during a Harry Potter movie last night.  I also tried swapping networks (2.4GHz signal rated "excellent") and it still did it.  It's like someone hit the stop button.  I've got an Ethernet over AC adapter network I used to use, but the speeds are slower than my newer router and my new Receiver picks up the data sounds over the line so I don't like using it (I'd have to get an RF filter for the AC line where the receiver plugs in).  I don't know if any other settings might help.  I've NEVER had this happen with the same version of Kodi on my FireTV 4K units.  Unfortunately, they don't support DTS:X and Atmos passthrough which is why I spent a small fortune on a Shield.  Now I'm thinking maybe a Zidoo would work better (I need 3D support anyway).  This Shield just isn't what people made it out to be.  It has painstakingly slow transfers over SMB to my Mac server as well when WiFi is maxed out for Internet on the Shield (110Mpbps) and an app tested the local network connection at 360Mbps over the 5GHz network.  It should be like lightning and it's not when using SMB.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Hello all, I just joinded this forum because I have a similar issue.
Setup:
  • KODI 17.6
  • Nvidia SHIELD (2015)
  • Gigabit network (ethernet cat 6 cable and gigabit router)
  • NAS Qnap TS431 (firmware 4.3.6)
  • Library on MySql DB on the NAS

Since the SHIELD experience 7.2 update (now 7.2.2), I can't stream any file of any size without buffering. Playback is not quitting just stuttering and buffering.
I've tried the aforementioned fixes, it didn't work.
I've tried to add cache settings in advancedsetting.xml... it didn't work.
I moved all paths from the library from smb:// to nfs://... it didn't work.
According to the resource monitor app on my Qnap, the upload speed (from the NAS) is dropping to zero every seconds (roughly).

I'm out of ideas... and it is very frustrating.
Please help.

Thank you.
I can still stream movies from my Mac server (turning off CEC on my projector seemed to fix the odd exiting here), but ProjectM visualizer from the store keeps crashing since the last Shield update and if it's used with KODI, it garbles the music if you pause/change tracks.  That sucks since KODI for Android has no usable visualizers (and I gather from some YouTube videos that in V17 there are no visualizers anymore; I guess you're just supposed to stare at a black screen now...ah progress). Rolleyes 

But then as of V16 final the picture viewer still regularly crashes (easily repeatable on all platforms and has been there for many years; just click through pictures manually at a fairly quick rate (1-2 a second) and it will crash in no time.  Music cannot stream across my network without skipping regularly (videos play OK so it has to be a cache type issue, possibly with Mac servers).  I have to load the Shield's hard drive up with my music library to get reliable skip-free playback.  And then, of course, there's still no video ID tag support for M4V or MKV 13 years after Apple added to the first AppleTV either and constantly having to name things "just so" can get old, especially with TV shows and the like.  It just seems like there should be an easier way to catalog and maintain the library or even to move databases around to other devices (e.g. I can't find a way to even access my Zidoo's main drive to copy a database or other settings over to it; it keeps the main drive to itself in its FTP and SMB server for some reason).  

The Shield has always been damn slow for local network access, though (I have over 100Mbps connections to the Net, but I can't go more than 32Mbps to the Shield from my Mac.  Supposedly the next update will finally support SMB3 on both ends which should hopefully fix the bottleneck.  I hope so anyway.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Hi All,

I too am having this problem with a Shield TV 2017
Purchased it about a week ago and have not had any issues until yesterday.
Disabling IPv6 and "Scanning for Network" in the [Android] network settings does not seem to fix it.
Kinda lost here as the same files play fine over the same network on my WDTV and until yesterday I had no issue.
I am really happy with this box as it has exceeded all my expectations and my IPTV channels do not buffer at all anymore.
Its just when I play files off my QNAP NAS
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

George
I have a similar issue.
I've tried many different tricks and so far, none worked.
If you want to have a list of tricks I used, here is the thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=339403
May be you'll be more lucky than me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.x nVidia Shield (2017) playback keeps quitting0