Unable to update Kodi in OpenELEC to 17.6
Hi,
I’m running krypton 17.3 on a Chromebox that has OpenELEC 8.0.4 running. When I try to update to 17.6 by SSH using terminal on my Mac, the ‘Sudo apt-get’ commands don’t work. Could someone please help?
8.04 is the latest OE available:
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Even if it wasn't sudo apt-get isn't going to work for OE (or libreelec).
(2017-11-28, 18:13)trogggy Wrote: 8.04 is the latest OE available:
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Even if it wasn't sudo apt-get isn't going to work for OE (or libreelec).

Hi Troggy, thanks for the response, but I’m still lost. I must be missing something obvious. How do I update my Chromebox to 17.6 from 17.3 using terminal on my Mac?
Many thanks
If you want OE 17.6 then either wait, compile it yourself or switch to libreelec (which may be at 17.6, I haven't checked).  The usual manual way to update OE is by dropping a .tar file in the update folder and rebooting; alternatively you can enable automatic updates in OE settings and it should update when the file is available.
Just to be clear though - just because there's a kodi 17.6 released doesn't mean there's also a version of OE or LE with 17.6 available.
The current LibreElec (8.2.1) is based around Kodi 17.6.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hi Darren,

Just to clarify what you and Troggy are saying.....
there is no way to run krypton 17.6 on OpenELEC 8.0.4?
No, there’s not. 8.0.4 seems to be the latest version on OE.
Both OpenElec and LibreElec are "complete packages" as in they come with Kodi plus an OS wrapper around it. You get the whole thing, and you can't upgrade the parts seperately except by newer versions of the package.

Openelec is basically a one man show these days and so isn't very responsive to new versions. LibreElec though has a larger team, and comes back with new packages more quickly. You can easily switch from one to the other by simple upgrade without losing anything (LE is a fork of OE).

So as the others have said, you can either wait for a newer updated version of OE to be released, or such and upgrade to LE. Personally I'd do the latter (indeed I did on my Pi's ages ago). Details of how to do that are on the LibreElec.tv website.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-11-28, 23:03)DarrenHill Wrote: Both OpenElec and LibreElec are "complete packages" as in they come with Kodi plus an OS wrapper around it. You get the whole thing, and you can't upgrade the parts seperately except by newer versions of the package.

Openelec is basically a one man show these days and so isn't very responsive to new versions. LibreElec though has a larger team, and comes back with new packages more quickly. You can easily switch from one to the other by simple upgrade without losing anything (LE is a fork of OE).

So as the others have said, you can either wait for a newer updated version of OE to be released, or such and upgrade to LE. Personally I'd do the latter (indeed I did on my Pi's ages ago). Details of how to do that are on the LibreElec.tv website.

Hi Darren, thank you so much for your detailed response, it all makes sense now. I thought I was being completely stupid! Thank you also to everyone else who has taken time to respond. Much appreciated!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to update Kodi in OpenELEC to 17.60