Right exe, changelog, faq.
Hello all!
First some -giant- ThankYou to maker(s) of PC version of XBMC! Its like dream coming true really. Laugh I ve been running some version of PC XBMC for about a week, with network drives mapping workaround for network shares. Since i need XBMC mostly for movies, it already seamed pretty nice for early version. Nod
But now i see some interesting updates going on, SMB possibility, no .bat file running, visualizations even (right?). But its confusing, i am jumping from thread to thread and pieces of info kinda wont stick toghether for me (sorry my english). 10-steps seems outdated now, correct?
Is there some "concentrated" place to get more or less clear view, what and where to download, whats new in current build, FAQ?
Sorry if thats just me and i am missing something obvious... Confused
Thank You in advance!
Hi,

the "10 steps" thread is a good start to begin - read through the full thread and apply the steps mentioned.

since there is a lot of progress with the win port ongoing, it could likely be that you don't get xbmc working - if this is the case, the only option you will have at this early stage of development is to read through some threads in this forum to sort your problems out.
Hi again.
As i said previously, i have it running for a week or so, and yes, it was using "10 steps", T3CH release and file on Megaupload.
My questions would be these:
where to find changelog?
where to read FAQ?
is correct .exe version now one on sourceforge?
do i still need .bat file with new version to get XBMC fullscreen?
Again, i apologize if i am asking something obvious. Just help please... Smile
Thanks !
Ill try to answer your questions from my experiences. They might not be the right or optimal way, but they works for me. :-)
Remember, this is an early beta with few developers, so you must expect limited feedback and tons of bugs.

The easiest way to see the changelog is to follow the directions regarding how to compile XBMC in the dev forum. When you have downloaded the source via TortoiseSVN, you get the option to see the logging of the source. The log files show you what the developers have done to the source code.

As far as I know, theres no FAQ. The best way to get informaion is to read the forums. To get XBMC running read the 10 steps post and lurk some more to get the small details.

The only visualiations that works in the win32 version, is the ones ending in *win32.vis. Delete the others or else you will get an error regarding an xbox dll.

Theres some problems with browsing the network regarding workgroups/domains. Just read one of the old posts in the xbox forum regarding how you edit your c:\XBMC\UserData\sources.xml.

To run fullscreen, start it like this:
XBMC.EXE -fs
You can add that to a shortcut on your desktop or create a bat/cmd file to add the parameter.

Dont use the old run_me_first.bat. Its only meant for skinners. The new XBMC for win32 does all the work itself. Just make sure that you dont have any network shares connected on q:, p:, t:, and z: or else things might screw up.

I hope that this clears up a few details. :-)
Thank You, indigocc! Nod
Will experiment with newest .exe a little tonight. Most important for me is to figure out network sharing. Yes, i am using network resources now too, but thats via making mapped network drives, and i kinda dont like it hat way.
About FAQ, i saw WiSo wrote "I see that I have to update the FAQ"
(http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32471&page=2)
thats why i am wondering, where is that FAQ?
Anyway, Thanks again! Smile
update = create a new one for the win32 / sdl build.

Network shares are working via XBMC just browsing for available servers don't work. Just put in an IP/server name and you should be able to browse for shares on that PC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank You, WiSo! And best wishes in further development! Smile
WiSo Wrote:update = create a new one for the win32 / sdl build.

Network shares are working via XBMC just browsing for available servers don't work. Just put in an IP/server name and you should be able to browse for shares on that PC.

correct me but i can browse for servers ..i can see my workgroup and all computers ( if i set the correct workgroup and passwords in the network configuration pannel)
Sounds great. You see I don't know everything of XBMC Laugh
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
WiSo Wrote:Sounds great. You see I don't know everything of XBMC Laugh

this is not a wonder .. xbmc is a complex bunch of code noone can see all aspects of all functions and this early state runs bether than i expect ..
the work of all developer is outstanding .... xbmc is realy a must have software ...

sorry for my english

ich sprech lieber meine sausprache Big Grin
gorgone Wrote:ich sprech lieber meine sausprache Big Grin

Das mache ich auch lieber, aber das würde kaum jemand hier lesen können Wink
WiSo Wrote:aber das würde kaum jemand hier lesen können Wink

wer weiß, wohl mehr als man denkt Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Right exe, changelog, faq.0