Only SRT subtitles use the style that I set
Why is it that SRT is the only subtitle format that follow the style that I have defined? For example, I have set the subtitles to be a certain color, certain size, and under the video. SRT follows these settings and displays how I want it to. But other subtitle formats such as SUB/IDX or SSA don't follow my settings? It seems like SUB/IDX already has their own defined style and it overrides the style I have set in Kodi. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks.
SRT files are usually unformatted subtitles files (although they can have color, bold and underlined tags), SSA files tend to have CSS-like forced formatting of colors, fonts, location, etcetera.
One solution is to save your SSA files into SRT formatted subtitle files. Most subtitle tools can do that. Or, download the SRT file(s) right away in the first place.
(2017-12-02, 22:30)Klojum Wrote: SRT files are usually unformatted subtitles files (although they can have color, bold and underlined tags), SSA files tend to have CSS-like forced formatting of colors, fonts, location, etcetera.
One solution is to save your SSA files into SRT formatted subtitle files. Most subtitle tools can do that. Or, download the SRT file(s) right away in the first place.
 Yeah, I definitely look for SRT files first, but of course I'm talking about the times when the SRT format is not available. Another issue is that some of these subtitles are already contained in the MKV container file. So then how do I edit an SSA or SUB/IDX that's already in an MKV?

So basically, when we play around with the settings for Font Size, Font Color etc., that's only for SRT files? I thought it would have been for all subtitle formats. So there is no way to override SSA or SUB/IDX using the Kodi settings?
Embedded subtitles can be extracted with the mkvextract command line tool or the mkvextractgui application.
Then edit the subtitle file and remux them with mkvmerge or the mkvtoolnix gui application.

As far as I know, external subtitles will simply 'trump' internal/embedded subtitles. There is also an option in the Kodi GUI in Settings/Player/Language: Override ASS/SSA subtitles fonts which I never used before, so I have no idea what it actually does. I have no SSA subtitles here to test.
Also note that SUB/IDX subtitles are actually bitmaps & timecode -- the subtitles are actually images that are overlaid on top of the video. So you can't reformat them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only SRT subtitles use the style that I set0