• 5(current)
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware
(2018-01-08, 12:43)shanix Wrote: Thanks.

I only require the HDR support for playback of locally stored files, apps like netflix and amazon run perfectly on my LG oled.

there might never be DolbyVision support? as it is not a free license?
I might as well get a decent s905x with gigabit as I don't see any other benefits of the s912 then, and the s905x sounds more stable.

any buying recommendations are welcome Wink
I currently use the Minix U9-H (running LibreELEC) for streaming 1080p and 4k HDR blu's from my NAS without any issues, like you I use Netflix and Amazon Video via my LG Oled.
lack of DV support wasn't a deal breaker, as there's not that many DV titles available atm, obviously as that changes, then I'll change to hardware that supports it, but for now the Minix is doing a fine job.
(2017-12-08, 02:26)hdmkv Wrote:
(2017-12-05, 06:03)wrxtasy Wrote: HDR10 capable Hardware with Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching:
  • MINIX U9-H

@wrxtasy, does U9-H manage "Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching" under Android, or only LE? 
Android 6 or Android 7?
Does anybody know if xboxone S is doing this at the moment? I know it’s early days but just wondering.. thx
There is a new Kodi Sub-forum for all matters Windows UMP Xbox releated where such info would be found or not:

Windows UWP (win10, phone, Xbox)

Currently have a Nvidia Shield but looking to change due to 10bit and colour space issues etc as PQ is a must for me as running a calibrated projector. Which of the following should best meet my needs, Vero 4K, ATV 4K, Minix U9, Minix U1 or ?
- auto refresh rate switching
- auto resolution switching
- auto colour space switching
- bit stream all HD audio formats including ATMOS
- play 2160p HEVC 10 bit HDR
- wife friendly remote (voice search a plus)
- can play youtube is not a must have but would be a bonus
- near all content is TV/Movies and played from USB storage (will move to NAS later)
- integration with Logitech Harmony Elite a bonus (eg power on/off)
- no need for dolby vision support
- I don't use Netflix, Amazon, etc
- no gaming required
(2018-01-16, 10:48)viperlogic Wrote: Currently have a Nvidia Shield but looking to change due to 10bit and colour space issues etc as PQ is a must for me as running a calibrated projector. Which of the following should best meet my needs, Vero 4K, ATV 4K, Minix U9, Minix U1 or ?
- near all content is TV/Movies and played from USB storage (will move to NAS later)
- no gaming required
 Yes, for some think i bougth OPPO 203 and all play perfect from my NAS.. but i still hope for some changes at Nvidia Shield TV when come new android OS Oreo..
(2018-01-16, 10:48)viperlogic Wrote: Currently have a Nvidia Shield but looking to change due to 10bit and colour space issues etc as PQ is a must for me as running a calibrated projector. Which of the following should best meet my needs, Vero 4K, ATV 4K, Minix U9, Minix U1 or ?
- no gaming required

Vero 4K fits all, got also Harmony Elite working.
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
Or a $50 S912 box (to use with LibreELEC) off gearbest, geekbuying or eBay.
(2018-01-07, 22:05)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes there are now a bunch of AMLogic LE guys using S912's without many problems at all. The GPU drivers issue only affected the Kodi Graphic User interface anyway, those GPU drivers have since been optimised too and are fine now for daily use with the Kodi GUI refreshing at 60 fps. Hardware video decoding always had No issues.

However further reading should be done regarding thermal SoC heat control, as some further DIY mods may be required for S912's:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2677498

S912's with all their processing cores run the hottest out of all the AMLogic family of Chipsets.
Not all media player hardware is created equal. At the dirt cheap end of the market corners have to be cut.

No DolbyVision support for LE S912's. Buy an AppleTV 4K if you want that and even then it will really only be for Apps like Netflix, maybe Amazon Video and VUDU.
 I was stupid and ended up getting a Beelink GT1, and from what I can read of your previous posts, you are definetly not a fan of this box Tongue
the issues with passthrough of HD audio, im guessing have not been fixed, as im loosing hope in getting it to work here...

is this a typical issue with s912 or only beelinks GT1??
Quote:the issues with passthrough of HD audio, im guessing have not been fixed, as im loosing hope in getting it to work here...

is this a typical issue with s912 or only beelinks GT1??
Yes, but only on dirt cheap S9xx boxes that run unsupported Android MM 6.x Firmware. Xiaomi, MINIX and WeTek for example backported the required IEC HD audio passthrough code needed by Kodi Krypton with their S9xx MM boxes.
See the Freaktab Website for alt. / improved GT1 Android Firmware.

from START HERE thread - Post #1

Buggiest Android Marshmallow - Kodi Krypton Boxes getting about are: Sad
  • 99% of cheap AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 boxes running Android Marshmallow 6.0, like the Beelink GT1

Use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it and all your pain will go away. Big Grin
See the LibreELEC forums, AMLogic sub-section for install details.

I forgot to mention I'm using libreElec, the latest build for s912 (8.2.2.3 (2018-01-06)) by kszak, running of an SD-card.

does the android firmware issue still apply to me?

thanks
Seek help in the LibreELEC forums please because this is completely off topic for this thread !

Finally upgraded to HDR, only to learn about the Shield auto color space issues.  For the foreseeable future, for an all in one box is Shield or ATV4K the better choice if you want 1080p/4K/HDR and extras like amazon and Netflix 4K HDR without having to monkey with the settings?
Apple TV 4K for anything to do with hands off, correct auto color space output, auto frame rate matching - HDR10 / DolbyVision DRM video streaming from Apps like those just mentioned.

Then something like a AMLogic S905X or S912 running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton if you need 4K HDR10 Kodi with Atmos & DTS:X audio and a Kodi that is capable of installing additional Addon & Skins. ie. the full monty Kodi Krypton experience.

The Shield is fully capable hardware, it just needs better Google Android OS, then NVIDIA Firmware and finally the very important Android TV Apps developer support. How long that will take is anybody's guess.
However future Android TV Oreo OS updates to bring much needed API's for features like (hopefully) auto colorspace switching, now seem to be in a holding pattern whilst Google tries to get Android TV App developers onboard (click) first.

We are not quite there yet for an all in one box solution, but the ATV 4K (excluding 3D) is close enough for some with it's tvOS matching and switching functionality.

I was v close to buying an Apple TV 4K for switching functionality, but it lacks USB and ATMOS which are musts for my particular use. Moved from Shield to Vero 4K instead.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware5