• 12(current)
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware
The Apple TV has a Dolby Audio licence.
There are options in tvOS settings to re-encode everything to 5.1 Dolby Digital if you only have a DD capable TV / AVR / Soundbar and want 5.1 Netflix or Amazon Video audio.
If using MrMC or the Infuse Apps you can decode 7.1 HD audio to lossless 7.1 LPCM for no loss in audio quality.

The only thing it cannot do is passthrough Atmos or DTS:X audio - you lose 3D spacial audio Metadata when losslessly decoding to LPCM.

(2018-04-02, 12:17)redglory Wrote:
(2018-04-02, 01:42)wrxtasy Wrote: Bump for @Zodler's viewing pleasure, now that LE AMLogic S912 subtitles issues is fixed Wink
 Can we apply patch to 8.90.6 release?!

Thanks!
Yes click HERE for details.
All LE - Kodi Leia Alpha development support on the actual LE forums pls.

Are there any drawbacks using the Vero 4K? 10bit 4K HVEC HDR working properly? Any drawbacks? I am thinking of replacing my NUC6CAYH to get HDR. The price is right but the Vero4k only have 100mbit ethernet, god knows if this will be a limiting factor in the future. I am usually streaming from my NAS and the highest bitrate I could find on my NAS is 45Mb/s. The same time the hardware is rather old but it seems to be doing the job. I dont need 3D either and I despise apple.
@wrxtasy

Hi, I also have 2 Apple 4k TVs, however one is hooked to a 4k HDR Sony TV and one to an old 1080p Sony TV. I was trying to play for fun a h265 HDR10 encoded video yesterday and I have noticed something:
- on the 4k TV everything plays nice in Infuse, Plex and MrMC (with "use Videotoolbox HW acceleration for 4k HDR"  disabled otherwise the colors looked washed out)
- on the 1080p TV the 4k HDR was not playable in either Infuse, Plex or MrMC (well sort of here, if the above HW is checked than is playable but again with washed colors)
Does this means that ATV 4k cannot map HDR signal to SDR screen (convert on the fly HDR to SDR a la madVR)? Or is it something wrong with my settings?

Thanks for your feedback.
bug in tvOS 11.3, everyone knows about it.
(2018-04-02, 15:39)BoKKeR Wrote: Are there any drawbacks using the Vero 4K? 10bit 4K HVEC HDR working properly? Any drawbacks? I am thinking of replacing my NUC6CAYH to get HDR. The price is right but the Vero4k only have 100mbit ethernet, god knows if this will be a limiting factor in the future. I am usually streaming from my NAS and the highest bitrate I could find on my NAS is 45Mb/s. The same time the hardware is rather old but it seems to be doing the job. I dont need 3D either and I despise apple.
 If you rip UHD Blu-rays (now this is possible) and hit a bitrate limit you can always add a USB 3.0->GigE adaptor to your Vero4K to circumvent the 100Mbs Ethernet limits.  Even in a USB 2.0 port you'll get significantly faster network throughput than the built in adaptor (even if not GigE speeds)
(2018-04-02, 20:04)davilla Wrote: bug in tvOS 11.3, everyone knows about it.

After reading a lot of posts it seems that Apple introduced 2 bugs with tvOS 11.3:
1. Audio passthrough of DTS and AC3 is broken.
2. HDR content played on non-HDR screen is broken.

Do you have some workaround for MrMC for either of the 2 bugs? On Infuse forum I see that Apple stated that they have no intention to fix these. I can live with 1. and have only DD 5.1 reencoded by Apple but 2. is bearable only up to a point. Very stupid on my side to update before documenting first, too much reliance on Apple quality...
(2018-04-02, 21:54)noggin Wrote:
(2018-04-02, 15:39)BoKKeR Wrote:  
 If you rip UHD Blu-rays (now this is possible) and hit a bitrate limit you can always add a USB 3.0->GigE adaptor to your Vero4K to circumvent the 100Mbs Ethernet limits.  Even in a USB 2.0 port you'll get significantly faster network throughput than the built in adaptor (even if not GigE speeds) 
Too bad it has a 2.0 USB port. After reading this thread: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/vero-4k-asus...pter/54542 It seems that it allows to squeeze out an extra 50mbps.  I already own a gigabit ethernet - usb 3.0 adapter so I might just try it. The other option is waiting for a new device to hit the market. The vera 4k have been out for a while already and the CPU have been out even longer. I feel that the market have been slow the last half year.
(2018-04-02, 22:18)ionutm80 Wrote:
(2018-04-02, 20:04)davilla Wrote: bug in tvOS 11.3, everyone knows about it.

After reading a lot of posts it seems that Apple introduced 2 bugs with tvOS 11.3:
1. Audio passthrough of DTS and AC3 is broken.
2. HDR content played on non-HDR screen is broken.

Do you have some workaround for MrMC for either of the 2 bugs? On Infuse forum I see that Apple stated that they have no intention to fix these. I can live with 1. and have only DD 5.1 reencoded by Apple but 2. is bearable only up to a point. Very stupid on my side to update before documenting first, too much reliance on Apple quality... 

You night want to re-read the Infuse forum post. That references 2) and says nothing about 1).

Regardless,

1) Zero we can do about it. They are messing with the audio stream after it leaves MrMC. Touch a passthrough stream and it breaks. Bet it has to do with Sire (voice). 

2) I'm not sure of this result, ever since HDR was possible on pre-11.3, it handled HDR -> SDR quite fine. Best users can do is start a plummet Apple with complaints and maybe the will take a closer look. They did for display rate and HDR/SDR switching.
Hi guys.
Thanks for all the shared information.
I just have a couple of questions before spending a few bucks on hardware.
I'm about to buy the ATV4K to stream my local ripped Blu-Rays (including 4K HDR10 content) from a NAS to a Sony 4K TV, and I think I might need to upgrade my receiver as well since it's an oldie Sony that works with DD and DTS only (through optical).
As far as I understand, if I keep my current receiver ATV4K would be re-encoding audio as DD 5.1 (losing quality since it's doing a compression of an already compressed track) and it would passthrough my TV (checked, passthrough DD 5.1 work on my TV) to the receiver via optical.
Would it make sense to get a new Denon S530BT or S930H? Do you know if those would be able to get the lossless PCM from the ATV4K and improve the overall SQ of my current setup?

Thanks again an in advance for all the help you can provide to this newbie.
(2018-04-03, 01:44)Flaaandeeers Wrote: Hi guys.
Thanks for all the shared information.
I just have a couple of questions before spending a few bucks on hardware.
I'm about to buy the ATV4K to stream my local ripped Blu-Rays (including 4K HDR10 content) from a NAS to a Sony 4K TV, and I think I might need to upgrade my receiver as well since it's an oldie Sony that works with DD and DTS only (through optical).
As far as I understand, if I keep my current receiver ATV4K would be re-encoding audio as DD 5.1 (losing quality since it's doing a compression of an already compressed track) and it would passthrough my TV (checked, passthrough DD 5.1 work on my TV) to the receiver via optical.
Would it make sense to get a new Denon S530BT or S930H? Do you know if those would be able to get the lossless PCM from the ATV4K and improve the overall SQ of my current setup?

Thanks again an in advance for all the help you can provide to this newbie.

The ATV4K running MrMC will decode DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD to PCM multichannel - though I don't know if I can say 'losslessly' as I don't know if the ATV4K will output 24bit and 96 or 192kHz audio, rather than just 16 bit 48kHz. To be honest for most people this won't be an issue.
Surround sound settings on your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) (click)

Quote:Are there any drawbacks using the Vero 4K? 10bit 4K HVEC HDR working properly? Any drawbacks? I am thinking of replacing my NUC6CAYH to get HDR. The price is right but the Vero4k only have 100mbit ethernet, god knows if this will be a limiting factor in the future. I am usually streaming from my NAS and the highest bitrate I could find on my NAS is 45Mb/s. The same time the hardware is rather old but it seems to be doing the job. I dont need 3D either and I despise apple.

i have flickering issues with 4k hdr content the vero and my oled, known issue with now fix. apple tv 4k has been pretty flawless (outside of some black clipping you're unlike to notice unless you look for it). i don't have atmos speakers so don't really miss atmos/dtsx. ymmv.

edit: god i hate this forum software.
The latest LibreELEC Kodi 18 Alpha build now has colorspace options in settings; no green screen bug and proper 10bit output:

In my case, w/Epson 5040UB, 4:2:2 10bit allows for proper playback of 23.976 HDR content, and auto resolution/refresh rate switching works properly as well.
(2018-04-06, 17:34)hdmkv Wrote: The latest LibreELEC Kodi 18 Alpha build now has colorspace options in settings; no green screen bug and proper 10bit output:

In my case, w/Epson 5040UB, 4:2:2 10bit allows for proper playback of 23.976 HDR content, and auto resolution/refresh rate switching works properly as well.

Is this at 2160p? Didn't think 4:2:2 10-bit was valid for that - thought 4:2:2 was 8-bit or 12-bit only at 2160p. Thought 10-bit was 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 only (the former at >30p and the latter at <=30p)
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware5