v17 segmentation fault on Kodi start-up - need assistance
Hello,

I try to install and run KODI on my RasPi3 with openHAB (which is Raspbian Jessie). Updated & upgraded, the installed via command line. But running KODI results in a segmentation fault, gives me a crash log you can find on
http://paste.debian.net/999616/

There were several of those beforeeen  tried to solve it myself by changing with raspi-config:
- expand file system on SD card
- give GPU 256 MB
- use OpenGL driver - first full, then I tried fake

Now I do not know what to do anymore than this. I read about that in earlier Jessie versions I should have changed raspi-config first thing after initial install - maybe this is wrong?

Thanks for any assistance!
(2017-12-07, 12:56)radioactiveman Wrote: Hello,

I try to install and run KODI on my RasPi3 with openHAB (which is Raspbian Jessie). Updated & upgraded, the installed via command line. But running KODI results in a segmentation fault, gives me a crash log you can find on
http://paste.debian.net/999616/

There were several of those beforeeen  tried to solve it myself by changing with raspi-config:
- expand file system on SD card
- give GPU 256 MB
- use OpenGL driver - first full, then I tried fake

Now I do not know what to do anymore than this. I read about that in earlier Jessie versions I should have changed raspi-config first thing after initial install - maybe this is wrong?

Thanks for any assistance!
Kodi on Raspbian and most systems on the Raspberry Pi only works if you use the Broadcom video drivers, which is named "Legacy" in raspi-config. Don't forget to set the GPU RAM to at least 160MB, 256 is the recommend to the Pi 2/3.
thanks for the quick help. I switched to the 'legacy' driver now and managed to give the GPU 256MB. curiously this just worked with a step in between, giving it 160MB and reboot, then change again to 256. before raspi-config accepted 256, bur after reboot showed me 64 again - I know that sounds weird, but if it worked...

segmentation fault is gone, no crash log. I can see KODI GUI via Raspi HDMI output now
(2017-12-07, 17:20)radioactiveman Wrote: thanks for the quick help. I switched to the 'legacy' driver now and managed to give the GPU 256MB. curiously this just worked with a step in between, giving it 160MB and reboot, then change again to 256. before raspi-config accepted 256, bur after reboot showed me 64 again - I know that sounds weird, but if it worked...

segmentation fault is gone, no crash log. I can see KODI GUI via Raspi HDMI output now
 Hey,

I believe I'm struggling with the exact same issue (the  only main difference is that I'm one a raspberry 1).
How did you switch to legacy driver ? If I try using raspi-config all I get is "The GL driver is disabled." (it let's me select the other 2 alternatives but not the last one)
(2017-12-12, 11:50)segment Wrote:  If I try using raspi-config all I get is "The GL driver is disabled." (it let's me select the other 2 alternatives but not the last one) 
well, I could select it, that helped. Maybe the according package for e.g. the mentioned Broadcom drivers is not even installed on your system in first place. So you do not get a selection in the second step. just an idea...

I unfortunately do not know the command how to get-apt the packages - maybe somebody else can help?
(2017-12-12, 11:50)segment Wrote: I believe I'm struggling with the exact same issue (the  only main difference is that I'm one a raspberry 1).
How did you switch to legacy driver ? If I try using raspi-config all I get is "The GL driver is disabled." (it let's me select the other 2 alternatives but not the last one) 

That's what you want - it's referring to the ARM side GL driver being disabled (and using the legacy firmware driver).
(2017-12-12, 20:53)popcornmix Wrote:
(2017-12-12, 11:50)segment Wrote: I believe I'm struggling with the exact same issue (the  only main difference is that I'm one a raspberry 1).

That's what you want - it's referring to the ARM side GL driver being disabled (and using the legacy firmware driver).  
Right. Strange thing is that the that menu item always returns the same thing, "The GL driver is disabled", so not sure how do I enable it (should I want to try)? (by selecting one of the first two ?)
Don't take it a the wrong way, it's not that I don't trust the answer, but if I want to see it for my own eyes, is there a way to check what driver am I using right now ?

... and let me sneak in one unrelated (but hopefully easy question) : how do I attach a a screenshot to this post ? ('cos by clicking on the image icon it asks me for a URL but of course the screenshot I've took is local)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
segmentation fault on Kodi start-up - need assistance0