v18 LiveTV: skipping forward or backward stalls displaying the show for about 10 secs
Hi all,
as the title says, I'm having trouble with skipping forward or backward in Live TV mode.
This does not happen in Krypton. It also does not happen with a recorded show or a in-progress recording, even in Kodi 18.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Start to watch a channel in LiveTV mode.
  • Wait for a minute or so.
  • Skip back (in my case 30 secs)
  • Wait for another few secs.
  • And voila! The little blue circle that has replaced the hourglass shows for about 10 secs.
I don't have a clue as to what's happening, like buffering, syncing A/V or whatever...
Sadly it is inconsistent, sometimes this does not happen, but most times it does.

I tested this behaviour on both Debian Stretch and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with several checkouts from both tvheadend (release/4.2 or master) and Kodi (master branch).
All checks showed the same result.
Latest check is with Kodi Leia-Alpha1 (a9650759b29ddc7a599d119dd5af31f3f3eb1ad4)

Should you need more info, please tell me what I have to do in order to clarify.

Kind regards,
Tycho.

PS:
Debug log is here
(2017-12-07, 16:29)bas.t Wrote: Hi all,
as the title says, I'm having trouble with skipping forward or backward in Live TV mode.
This does not happen in Krypton. It also does not happen with a recorded show or a in-progress recording, even in Kodi 18.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Start to watch a channel in LiveTV mode.
  • Wait for a minute or so.
  • Skip back (in my case 30 secs)
  • Wait for another few secs.
  • And voila! The little blue circle that has replaced the hourglass shows for about 10 secs.
I don't have a clue as to what's happening, like buffering, syncing A/V or whatever...
Sadly it is inconsistent, sometimes this does not happen, but most times it does.

I tested this behaviour on both Debian Stretch and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with several checkouts from both tvheadend (release/4.2 or master) and Kodi (master branch).
All checks showed the same result.
Latest check is with Kodi Leia-Alpha1 (a9650759b29ddc7a599d119dd5af31f3f3eb1ad4)

Should you need more info, please tell me what I have to do in order to clarify.

Kind regards,
Tycho.

PS:
Debug log is here

I'm witnessing the same, I have TVH 4.2 and Kodi 18 Alpha (I'm away at moment so cant check what build or upload a log). I am able to reproduce this on my Sheild but only occasionally on the RPI2s that I have ... with Krypton I did not have this problem.

Will upload log on my return.
I suspect this is the same issue as I reported some time back in this Post:
Fluctuating data rate when playing back from timeshift buffer
I provided some plots on network data throughput which apear to be related.
I had this issue with 17.x and its been an issue for some time.
It sure looks the same, but I have my doubts:

In that post the version of Kodi showing the problem is 17.4, 17.x does not suffer from the issue on my (Debian Stretch) systems.
I only have the problem with master branch (so 18.0 alpha)
Also the time Kodi needs to buffer/sync or whatever it is doing, is three times larger in my case: up to 10 secs
Last days I've upgraded Kodi from v17 to v18. Kodi and tvheadend are installed on same Lubuntu 18.04.2 system. I was using stable releases, but after getting issues I've changed to unstable release. This issue is still there.
Live TV works fine. But when I skip back the video resumes immediately and after some seconds it's buffering round about 5 seconds, afterthat it resumes playback without issues. Kodi 18 is causing this issue. With v17 everything worked fine.

Software:
Tvheadend = v4.2.8
Kodi = unstable Repo 18.1 (same issue with 18.0)

Hardware:
Core i7 8700t, 8GB RAM, SSD

Debug Log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/demifaqiha.kodi
Try to reproduce with ALSA instead of PULSE
Thanks for your hint, but it didn't help. With ALSA its buffering, too.
I've tested each setting regarding playback, with/without sync audio to video, static fps to 50, vaapi accel. etc.
Nothing helps..

I've tested also some settings with advancedsettings.xml. Buffermode = 1, and readfactor = 30. No improvements...

Do you need additional log's maybe with enabled specific logs?
post a debug log with ALSA please
Here you can find debug-log with activated audio component. ALSA is activated.

https://paste.kodi.tv/egesedezez.kodi
please turn on trace debugging for the tvheadend addon and post a new log.
Now with audio and pvr debug.

https://paste.kodi.tv/bimemarotu.kodi
That's not what I requested. You should have turned on trace debugging for the tvheadend addon.
Log-file is too long. Its ok with only addon debug?
Ok, I split the log file in two parts:

https://paste.kodi.tv/lagibagumo.kodi

https://paste.kodi.tv/eyaholohek.kodi
check out those logs after the seek:

2019-02-17 15:05:14.565 T:139926135371520 DEBUG: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client: pvr.hts - demux read idx :1002 pts 8192000.000000 len 1536

2019-02-17 15:05:20.218 T:139926135371520 DEBUG: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client: pvr.hts - demux read idx :1002 pts 15008000.000000 len 1536

Despite tvheadend reads from the timeshift buffer, it does not deliver packets faster than in realtime.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LiveTV: skipping forward or backward stalls displaying the show for about 10 secs0