• 5(current)
Intel Gemini Lake
(2018-02-12, 22:51)Platypus2 Wrote: So if Intel decide not to support HDR, is there any hope of getting HDR out of this thing? I was planning on upgrading from my Haswell but if theres no HDR support I might as well just wait...
 If the GPU plays back Rec 2020 10bit HEVC and outputs this as 10 bit HEVC Rec 2065 with no processing - then on many TVs you will be able to manually enable HDR10 with generic metadata...  People don't seem to talk about this - but it seems like a sensible approach to consider?
Hello!

I would be also interested if Asrock 4105-ITX will be capable to proper HDR and 3D MVC output. Also on LE, but mainly on Win10.  If it doesn't do so now, could we hope for a further implementation in maybe a later bios and/or Intel driver update? Or is this totally hopeless?
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pu...-brief.pdf

"Two HDMI* 2.0a ports with 4K at 60 Hz, HDR"
Gigabyte has put up their Gemini Lake motherboard product page.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/J4005N-D2P-rev-10
(2018-02-13, 14:52)runboy93 Wrote: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pu...-brief.pdf

"Two HDMI* 2.0a ports with 4K at 60 Hz, HDR"
 Huh
This is getting confusing. The sources of Intel contradict each other...
I think it will be a 'wait, test and see'...

If it does HDR, this will be my '2-year HTPC machine'. By then, it's time to upgrade to the AV1 codec. And so we never get bored with upgrading :-)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
Hi all, have you seen this review?

ASRock J4105-ITX

someone bought it? What do you think?
Sorry for grammatical errors, use an online translator
(2018-02-17, 10:59)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote: Hi all, have you seen this review?

ASRock J4105-ITX

someone bought it? What do you think?
 It only tests the 4K HEVC playback (which seams fine), and it really has (at last) native HDMI 2.0a, but no mention from HDR or FullHD 3D MVC. This last two decides the whole deal for me...

Edit: They answered my question regarding HDR, and there's no HDR support yet from Intel for theses IGPs. It's clearer now that it might stay a Intel Core processor only feature. That means, we need at least an i3 to get HDR from the IGP. It would be nice if Intel would reconsider this and enable HDR support with a driver update later in the Gemini lake family. But I don't know if it's even possible theoretically. 

Still waiting to be answered if it supports FullHD MVC 3D. It has Intel UHD Graphics 600. Anyone has a clue if it supports it properly?

BTW, It looks like, if you want a full-feature HTPC with all round format support, it's more payable to buy a motherboard with a cheap Celeron and drop in an RX550 beside it. I've also read that even GT 1030 cards have some problem with HDR playback.
(2018-02-17, 14:23)Mount81 Wrote: Edit: They answered my question regarding HDR, and there's no HDR support yet from Intel for theses IGPs. It's clearer now that it might stay a Intel Core processor only feature. That means, we need at least an i3 to get HDR from the IGP. It would be nice if Intel would reconsider this and enable HDR support with a driver update later in the Gemini lake family. But I don't know if it's even possible theoretically. 

If you have a GPU that supports 10-bit Rec 2020 4:2:0 2160/60p HEVC decode and output - then the only difference between SDR and HDR support is inserting a small bit of Infoframe data into the HDMI stream to flag that the video IS HDR10 (or HLG) and some content metadata (HDR10) about the average and max light levels of the movie. There is no difference in decode terms between 10-bit SDR and 10-bit HDR 2160p HEVC - the only difference in playback terms is that the display is told over HDMI that the signal is HDR when it is HDR - which is signalled by that metadata (and on some TVs can be manually enabled - albeit with 'fixed' content metadata in the case of HDR10)

I can't believe Intel would make it impossible to insert Infoframes under driver control (and instead hardwire them into the hardware) - but I may be wrong. Allowing the HDR data to be inserted - adding 'HDR support' may just be a market segmentation decision enforced by drivers...
Hi All,

This is Dennis from www.elefacts.de (our test is linked above).

Meanwhile we have also tested HDR and I can confirm, that HDR is not supported at the moment. Maybe it will be in the future, if Intel will provide a suitable driver...

Unfortunately we cannot test FullHD 3D MVC support, since we do not have a suitable TV. Our TV's has all no 3D included. If someone has an idea how to test without an 3D TV, just let me know and we will test it.
Regards,
Dennis
(2018-02-17, 14:23)Mount81 Wrote: Still waiting to be answered if it supports FullHD MVC 3D. It has Intel UHD Graphics 600. Anyone has a clue if it supports it properly?
After almost a year, this is what Intel had to say about frame packing 3D output on Kaby Lake NUCs with the LSPCON chip. From the statement it also looks like Gen8 processors are also affected, but it is unclear whether that only applies to designs using the LSPCON chip or also those with native HDMI 2.0(a).
Quote:We regret it's taken so long to get an answer for this issue. The official statement from Intel is as follows:
The S3D (stereo 3D) technology has been and continues to be supported on Intel graphics via HDMI 1.4. On some OEM PC designs with 6th Gen, 7th Gen and 8th Gen Intel Core processors, a LSPCON (a 3rd party integrated controller on the motherboard) is utilized to convert a DisplayPort signal to enable HDMI 2.0, and S3D is not supported in this scenario. As our OEM partners have moved away from enabling this feature based on low customer demand, S3D via HDMI 2.0 is not currently supported on some 6th Gen, 7th Gen and 8th Gen Intel Core processors. We are actively evaluating support for this feature in future products.
https://communities.intel.com/message/521265#521265
(2018-02-18, 18:44)DennisTA Wrote: Hi All,
This is Dennis from www.elefacts.de (our test is linked above).

Meanwhile we have also tested HDR and I can confirm, that HDR is not supported at the moment. Maybe it will be in the future, if Intel will provide a suitable driver...

It looks like you tested HDR with Netflix. Have you tested HDR playback with local media with one of the madVR rendering options, VLC, PowerDVD or similar?
I just received my J4105-ITX Board and had to notice that no legacy boot options are present. I was booting Kodi via PXE for years. Do you have any idea how I can boot Kodi with UEFI PXE? Thanks!
I also recivied my j4105-itx, i noticed that i have no screen / no input during boot when connected via HDMI.
When in windows everything is fine.

Also in the calibration tool of windows when I adjust the gamma i get a purple or green screen. very strange.
I have a LG b6v oled
(2018-02-19, 15:03)chrisk2305 Wrote: Do you have any idea how I can boot Kodi with UEFI PXE? Thanks!

You need to send different bootloader file to client depending on arch (search "option architecture-type code 93" for ISC DHCP server or "option:client-arch" for Dnsmasq). Pxelinux confs don't need any changes, if you use that, just copy syslinux.efi's to TFTP server.
Thanks! That worked. But booting PXE via UEFI is slow as hell. I found quite a lot of threads where people are complaining about bad UEFI PXE Performance but did not find a solution to that. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Gemini Lake1