•   
  • 17(current)
Intel Gemini Lake
(2019-02-15, 07:28)biosflaw Wrote: smp1, I purchased an Asrock J5005-ITX (Gemini Lake) in November of 2018 and experienced no HDMI problems when connected to my LCD TV monitor, however, I did have memory compatibility problems with the board.  I first tried a Corsair 4gb X 2 dual channel set that did not work with the board.  With just a single memory stick installed, or with both memory sticks installed, the board appeared to be dead.  Not even beep codes were present unless I removed both memory sticks.
It looks like Gemini Lake boards have issues with lower CAS latency modules. Here's an interesting thread for Odroid H2 Gemini Lake board. Hardkernel released a special bios for those problematic modules.
I have a single Apacer DDR4-2400 CL17 2Gb module that was pulled from Asus notebook, hopefully it will work. I plan to use only LibreELEC, so 2Gb in single channel should be enough.
(2019-02-15, 23:31)smp1 Wrote:
(2019-02-15, 07:28)biosflaw Wrote: ..., however, I did have memory compatibility problems with the board.  I first tried a Corsair 4gb X 2 dual channel set that did not work with the board.  With just a single memory stick installed, or with both memory sticks installed, the board appeared to be dead.  Not even beep codes were present unless I removed both memory sticks.
It looks like Gemini Lake boards have issues with lower CAS latency modules. ... 

It seems that you have to choose your memory carefully fo Gemini Lake.

Also at my ASRock J5005 I had problems with my first type of RAM modules: Mushkin D4S 8GB 2400-17 Essential 1,2v (2 x 4 GB) did not work. No beep. Nothing. Doesn't matter if one or both modules.
Then I bought two G.Skill RipJaws SO-DIMM 4GB, DDR4-2400 and they are working fine.
Beside the limitations already written in this thread (e.g. no HDR [afterwards averted by Intel!] and poor memory compatibility) there is another big issue with the Gemini Lake SoC: No Hi-Res audio over HDMI!
Audio (stereo) at HDMI is limited to a maximum sampling rate of 48 kHz (16 or 24 bit) for 2-channel L-PCM audio (see also thread Hi-Res audio (24 bit/ 96 or 192 kHz) on Gemini Lake (HDMI)).
If you want real Hi-Res audio you must use a board with other alternatives (IMHO only TOSLINK or S/PDIF is suitable, but there you have no HD surround formats, e.g. Dolby True HD).

Gemini Lake would be a fine platform for a HTPC, but Intel doesn’t want this. They have cut back the SoC so that they can sell their more expansive Core-CPUs.
Also note that a fan-less solution like the ASRock J5005-ITX can get quite warm and start throttling. This should not be the default case, but I had it already several times in my small case, even with small and slow fans installed.

With all this limitations I would not suggest Gemini Lake for a HTPC at all. Maybe you make a better deal with an AMD Athlon 200GE, at least if you don't need a small form factor (Mini-ITX).
(2019-02-16, 18:35)NeroRome Wrote: With all this limitations I would not suggest Gemini Lake for a HTPC at all. Maybe you make a better deal with an AMD Athlon 200GE, at least if you don't need a small form factor (Mini-ITX).
 I think I will buy this (when it become available) + Athlon 200GE.
(2019-02-16, 18:35)NeroRome Wrote: Beside the limitations already written in this thread (e.g. no HDR [afterwards averted by Intel!] and poor memory compatibility) there is another big issue with the Gemini Lake SoC: No Hi-Res audio over HDMI!

Cannot confirm this.
A also own a ASRock J5005 and have no problems with Hi-Res audio and HDMI.
I play back audio with MPD under Lubuntu and that works out like expected. No problems.
  •   
  • 17(current)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Gemini Lake51