• 17(current)
Intel Gemini Lake
(2019-02-15, 07:28)biosflaw Wrote: smp1, I purchased an Asrock J5005-ITX (Gemini Lake) in November of 2018 and experienced no HDMI problems when connected to my LCD TV monitor, however, I did have memory compatibility problems with the board.  I first tried a Corsair 4gb X 2 dual channel set that did not work with the board.  With just a single memory stick installed, or with both memory sticks installed, the board appeared to be dead.  Not even beep codes were present unless I removed both memory sticks.
It looks like Gemini Lake boards have issues with lower CAS latency modules. Here's an interesting thread for Odroid H2 Gemini Lake board. Hardkernel released a special bios for those problematic modules.
I have a single Apacer DDR4-2400 CL17 2Gb module that was pulled from Asus notebook, hopefully it will work. I plan to use only LibreELEC, so 2Gb in single channel should be enough.
(2019-02-15, 23:31)smp1 Wrote:
(2019-02-15, 07:28)biosflaw Wrote: ..., however, I did have memory compatibility problems with the board.  I first tried a Corsair 4gb X 2 dual channel set that did not work with the board.  With just a single memory stick installed, or with both memory sticks installed, the board appeared to be dead.  Not even beep codes were present unless I removed both memory sticks.
It looks like Gemini Lake boards have issues with lower CAS latency modules. ... 

It seems that you have to choose your memory carefully fo Gemini Lake.

Also at my ASRock J5005 I had problems with my first type of RAM modules: Mushkin D4S 8GB 2400-17 Essential 1,2v (2 x 4 GB) did not work. No beep. Nothing. Doesn't matter if one or both modules.
Then I bought two G.Skill RipJaws SO-DIMM 4GB, DDR4-2400 and they are working fine.
Beside the limitations already written in this thread (e.g. no HDR [afterwards averted by Intel!] and poor memory compatibility) there is another big issue with the Gemini Lake SoC: No Hi-Res audio over HDMI!
Audio (stereo) at HDMI is limited to a maximum sampling rate of 48 kHz (16 or 24 bit) for 2-channel L-PCM audio (see also thread Hi-Res audio (24 bit/ 96 or 192 kHz) on Gemini Lake (HDMI)).
If you want real Hi-Res audio you must use a board with other alternatives (IMHO only TOSLINK or S/PDIF is suitable, but there you have no HD surround formats, e.g. Dolby True HD).

Gemini Lake would be a fine platform for a HTPC, but Intel doesn’t want this. They have cut back the SoC so that they can sell their more expansive Core-CPUs.
Also note that a fan-less solution like the ASRock J5005-ITX can get quite warm and start throttling. This should not be the default case, but I had it already several times in my small case, even with small and slow fans installed.

With all this limitations I would not suggest Gemini Lake for a HTPC at all. Maybe you make a better deal with an AMD Athlon 200GE, at least if you don't need a small form factor (Mini-ITX).
(2019-02-16, 18:35)NeroRome Wrote: With all this limitations I would not suggest Gemini Lake for a HTPC at all. Maybe you make a better deal with an AMD Athlon 200GE, at least if you don't need a small form factor (Mini-ITX).
 I think I will buy this (when it become available) + Athlon 200GE.
(2019-02-16, 18:35)NeroRome Wrote: Beside the limitations already written in this thread (e.g. no HDR [afterwards averted by Intel!] and poor memory compatibility) there is another big issue with the Gemini Lake SoC: No Hi-Res audio over HDMI!

Cannot confirm this.
A also own a ASRock J5005 and have no problems with Hi-Res audio and HDMI.
I play back audio with MPD under Lubuntu and that works out like expected. No problems.
(2019-02-19, 22:15)contadino Wrote: ... Lubuntu and that works out like expected. No problems. 

So you really get Hi-Res output with 24 bit and at least 96 kHz?
It's not a question that Hi-Res files can be played but it's about to have also a Hi-Res output stream over HDMI and not a resampled output stream to 44.1 or 48 kHz.

If you and others have Hi-Res output streams on HDMI I wonder why
  • I don't have it and
  • why you get better values than Intel specified it.
@NeroRome

i cannot really understand your problems with HiRes and Intel. Even my old media-pc based on Intel Atom 330 was able to playback HiRes audio without any problems.
And I am sure, that there is no downsizing to 44.1 or 48 kHz.
My AVR does not show the input-resolution, but MPD creates good readable logs. And, interestingly enough, there is resampling - but high-sampling from 24bit 192kHz to 32bit 192kHz. Interesting, because i thought i prevented all resampling.

I would give you the advice to set up a very pure test-system. No additional sound-drivers, no pulseaudio - only alsa and your playback-software. My OS here is Lubuntu, but i cannot imagine that the OS has influence to this topic.
Good luck!
If you mean this one: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105887
Then it's fixed.
(2019-03-01, 16:37)N01tra Wrote: If you mean this one: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105887
Then it's fixed.
 @smp1 

----
Grrr for not being able to edit my post above Sad
(2019-02-14, 01:00)Sniffer77 Wrote: Sorry to ask more questions
I’ve just updated the bios on new NUC7PJYH.
I’ve now installed libreelec the newest version .
I’ve tried to use my remote after install , which is the black Xbox one remote I used for my old nuc with no luck .
Have I missed something ? Should I have installed something else or a setting in Kodi ?

Been scratching my head for a while tobtru figure it out with no luck .

Any guidance appreciated .

Thanks
Any luck figuring this out? I have a NUC7PJYH on backorder and plan on installing LibreElec on it whenever it gets here.
I have a windows media center remote and I'll be pissed if it doesn't work with the IR.
(2019-02-28, 10:36)contadino Wrote: @NeroRome

i cannot really understand your problems with HiRes and Intel. Even my old media-pc based on Intel Atom 330 was able to playback HiRes audio without any problems.
And I am sure, that there is no downsizing to 44.1 or 48 kHz.
My AVR does not show the input-resolution, but MPD creates good readable logs. And, interestingly enough, there is resampling - but high-sampling from 24bit 192kHz to 32bit 192kHz. Interesting, because i thought i prevented all resampling.

I would give you the advice to set up a very pure test-system. No additional sound-drivers, no pulseaudio - only alsa and your playback-software. My OS here is Lubuntu, but i cannot imagine that the OS has influence to this topic.
Good luck!

Fact is, it's not working on my Linux Mint 19.1 Xfce (with Pulse Audio). Neither Kodi nor VLC will give me Hi-Res output but only 44.1 kHz (or 48 kHz) for FLAC files with 96 or 192 kHz/24 bit.
This is the situation on my Linux Mint installation. AFAIK I didn't change anything relevant for the audio settings. Hi-Res files will be played, but only resampled.

I guess, many other users (with a comparable Linux setup) will have the same situation and they think they will get Hi-Res audio but in truth it is just down-sampled CD-Audio quality.

Actually I believe 44.1 kHz/16 bit (lossless) is usually quite enough because people will not hear the better Hi-Res quality (poor sense of hearing), don't have the equipment and/or room to get a real benefit from Hi-Res or just the recording is not good enough. However, this is a different story.

Since I don't get Hi-Res audio and the specification from Intel is very clear for me, I would not see the problem at my side (OS, driver, audio subsystem, etc.).
I'm also very shocked about what you can find in the Intel forum about support of Hi-Res audio, especially for Sky Lake-NUC's and how Intel is just downgrading the specifications afterwards.

So what should I do? Intel says it's only supporting up to 48 kHz and I get 478 kHz. My system is running like specified and everything is fine. Isn't it?

Well, I would say no!
This specification might just be a bad joke nowadays. Even if older systems would support Hi-Res with 96 kHz or more.
I'm also quite surprised if other people say, they have no problem with Hi-Res (> 48 kHz). As already written: I think may will get down-sampled output and they don't know it.
However, I also respect answers, if people say believable they have Hi-Res output or it is verifiable.

Now I have tried two other setups.
Lubuntu ("lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64.iso", out of the box, playback with VLC) only gives me 44.1 kHz, but it is running with Pulse Audio.
LibreELEC (actual version, created with "LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe") gives me Hi-Res. Eureka! I only had to change the audio device from analog to ALSA HDMI.
So, I must say: Gemini Lake supports Hi-Res over HDMI - but I only get it with ALSA and not with PulseAudio.
Actually I cannot say, if the problem is in PulseAudio, in Linux Mint, in Ubuntu, in the driver or just in my settings. Since I need a normal Desktop too ALSA is not proper way for me. I have to use PulseAudio. Let's see, if I get Hi-Res also with my PulseAudio system.

P.S.: It would be fine to hear from other users with PulseAudio and Linux Mint (or at least Ubuntu).
--
(2019-02-15, 23:31)smp1 Wrote: I have a single Apacer DDR4-2400 CL17 2Gb module that was pulled from Asus notebook, hopefully it will work. 
I just received Asrock J4105B-ITX board. I can confirm that 2Gb module works fine despite the fact that Asrock's specification page says "2GB DRAM per module is not supported".
Sorry for late reply as I don’t come
On often . Yes all sorted as it just needed activating in the bios. I would however say the IR range is terrible on the nuc and I’ve no idea if it can be improved

(2019-03-05, 11:38)oshan Wrote:
I’ve tried to use my remote after install , which is the black Xbox one remote I used for my old nuc with no luck .
Have I missed something ? Should I have installed something else or a setting in Kodi ?

Thanks
Any luck figuring this out? I have a NUC7PJYH on backorder and plan on installing LibreElec on it whenever it gets here.
I have a windows media center remote and I'll be pissed if it doesn't work with the IR.
(2019-04-23, 21:11)Sniffer77 Wrote: Sorry for late reply as I don’t come
On often . Yes all sorted as it just needed activating in the bios. I would however say the IR range is terrible on the nuc and I’ve no idea if it can be improved
(2019-03-05, 11:38)oshan Wrote:

Thanks
Yeah, in this thread I posted my eventual solution to the IR issue if anyone else needs help.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2839630
Range is not perfect with me either but could just be my remote
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Gemini Lake1