Solved Apple remote?
Hi,

I have upgraded to v18 to try out the Netflix add-on, but find my apple remote (A1294) no longer controls like it used to. The only button Kodi responds to is "menu".

The v18 changelog states: "Updated and improved mappings for new and existing remote controls" .

OK, where can one find out what the new and improved mappings are so they can get their remote to control Kodi as expected?

dgktkr
Try to restart your mac after the update and see if the remote works again
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-12-12, 08:23)Memphiz Wrote: Try to restart your mac after the update and see if the remote works again
 No Joy. Same faulty behavior.

I installed 17.6 over the 18.0 version to confirm that the hardware setup was working and, indeed, the up, down, left, right and accept buttons on the Apple remote had the expected effect inside Kodi.

Then I downloaded the latest 18.0 nightly, installed it and restarted the Mac Mini. Kodi didn't show any response to the Apple remote's up, down, left or right buttons. It only reacted to the menu button.

https://pastebin.com/hhpRCJQF

dgktkr
Can you do a new debug log with debugging enabled - also can you confirm that „XBMCHelper“ is running in the activity monitor while kodi is started?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2017-12-13, 16:47)Memphiz Wrote: Can you do a new debug log with debugging enabled - also can you confirm that „XBMCHelper“ is running in the activity monitor while kodi is started?
 Sure. 

Activity Monitor showed XBMCHelper was running. The debug log has some relevant lines starting at 08:47:21.353 showing errors mapping the CustomController actions for the Apple Remote buttons.

https://pastebin.com/XA9kehE4

dgktkr
(2017-12-13, 19:00)dgktkr Wrote:
(2017-12-13, 16:47)Memphiz Wrote: Can you do a new debug log with debugging enabled - also can you confirm that „XBMCHelper“ is running in the activity monitor while kodi is started?
 Sure. 

Activity Monitor showed XBMCHelper was running. The debug log has some relevant lines starting at 08:47:21.353 showing errors mapping the CustomController actions for the Apple Remote buttons.

dgktkr   
 Hello
I have the same issue. I made a report (number 17671)
If I understand correctly, Apple has made changes with high sierra on the remote control (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8106033)
At the moment I use a third-party software to manage the remote control (classic gray remote control apple)
Cerize
(2017-12-14, 09:04)cerize Wrote:
(2017-12-13, 19:00)dgktkr Wrote:
 Sure. 

dgktkr     
 Hello
I have the same issue. I made a report (number 17671)
If I understand correctly, Apple has made changes with high sierra on the remote control (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8106033)
At the moment I use a third-party software to manage the remote control (classic gray remote control apple)
Cerize  
The current issue here doesn't seem to be due to the OS: In High Sierra, if Kodi is reverted to 17.6, the Apple Remote works as it used to.

dgktkr
Are you using the default keymap xml file for the apple remote?
(2017-12-18, 08:59)Memphiz Wrote: Are you using the default keymap xml file for the apple remote?
 Hi Memphiz,

Default keymap file for the Apple remote? Do you mean -- /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/system/keymaps/customcontroller.AppleRemote.xml?

I believe so.

To effect a default installation, I deleted ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi and /Applications/Kodi.app, then installed the latest nightly -- still the same behavior. The only button Kodi responds to is "menu" on the remote and the action is to bring up the "Favorites" window. As before, the same errors show up in the log file. For instance: "DEBUG: ERROR mapping customcontroller action. CustomController: AppleRemote 1"

dgktkr
I too am having issue with a self compiled 18 if I revert to 17 the problem is resolved. Using the candailair driver. From monitoring what I have seen is Kodi does get the input from the remote and correctly identifies it. The remote signal matches the default customcontroller.xml but Kodi has an error mapping the custom controller from what I have been able to read while watching my log live.
By testing various things out, I have discovered something that may prove to be useful in tracking down the problem.

If /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/system/keymaps/customcontroller.AppleRemote.xml is edited by adding some lines to the <Home>...</Home> section:

<!-- plus       -->      <button id="1">Up</button>
    <!-- minus      -->      <button id="2">Down</button>
    <!-- left       -->      <button id="3">Left</button>
    <!-- right      -->      <button id="4">Right</button>
    <!-- center     -->      <button id="5">Select</button>
    <!-- hold center-->      <button id="7">Fullscreen</button>

Then the Apple remote works as expected in the Home window. Pressing and holding the menu button brings up the Power Options but for this window the Apple Remote buttons have no effect.

It seems like the contents of the <Home>...</Home> section in in customcontroller.AppleRemote.xml are being applied properly, but the contents of <global>...</global> section  are not.

dgktkr
(2017-12-19, 22:15)dgktkr Wrote: By testing various things out, I have discovered something that may prove to be useful in tracking down the problem.

If /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/system/keymaps/customcontroller.AppleRemote.xml is edited by adding some lines to the <Home>...</Home> section:

<!-- plus       -->      <button id="1">Up</button>
    <!-- minus      -->      <button id="2">Down</button>
    <!-- left       -->      <button id="3">Left</button>
    <!-- right      -->      <button id="4">Right</button>
    <!-- center     -->      <button id="5">Select</button>
    <!-- hold center-->      <button id="7">Fullscreen</button>

Then the Apple remote works as expected in the Home window. Pressing and holding the menu button brings up the Power Options but for this window the Apple Remote buttons have no effect.

It seems like the contents of the <Home>...</Home> section in in customcontroller.AppleRemote.xml are being applied properly, but the contents of <global>...</global> section  are not.

dgktkr
This has worked for me as well. I am however using a harmony remote. I can confirm editing customcontroller.Harmony.xml will allow mapping of the remote functions. I'm clueless as to why the global option is working in the standard keyboard.xml but not the customcontroller.<>.xml. So my work around is to define every remote event for every window of the customcontroller.<>.xml
Thx for tracking it down - will be fixed once this Pull Request is merged:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13276
Thanks Memphiz. The fix has indeed made its way into the nightlies and the Apple remote works great now, as it should.

dgktkr

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple remote?0