v18 Cannot run kodi compiled from sources
Hi,

I'm new to rpi & kodi but I'm an experienced developer and know my way in Linux.

I've (crossed) compiled kodi following the instructions in https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...aspberrypi
Well, almost; I've done it on Ubuntu 16.04 and not 14.04 as indicated in the page above. Apparently, the build fails on 14.04.

The build successfully ended with an executable called kodi-rbpi of size(~4.4G).
I've copied it over to my pi and launched it.
Got the following message:

Unable to find path to Kodi data files!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I've tried setting KODI_HOME to an arbitrary directory:

KODI_HOME=/home/pi ./kodi-rbpi

This time I got:

ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I've removed ~/.kodi/, but this didn't make a difference.
So, whct should I do to launch the executable compiled from sources?

Thanks, Efi
you have to install the build using the install target, you can't just copy the executable. there are tons of data files.

if you want a self-contained build and not install on the system os;
configure the build with some prefix -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/where/you/want/it
run make install DESTDIR=/some/temp/dir

then copy /some/temp/dir/* to / on your pi.

also if you get a 4.4GB exec you probably built debug? or at least with symbols. so i'd strip that bugger.
additionally to the above, you might also need a few libs from depends $PREFIX (the one from the tools/depends/ step)
I'm not interested in a self contained build.
I believe the executable was compiled in debug mode. For the time being I'll use it. If all goes well, I'll recompile in release mode.
I have a target directory that lists 3 sub directories, namely:
i686-linux-gnu-native/ 
raspberry-pi2-debug/ 
xbmc-tarballs/

What exactly do I need to copy over, and where to?
I do not want to override my rpi system files. I'll copy as many shared libraries as needed...
Thanks for your help and for an awesome app.
then skip setting the prefix path, do the two others. it will be put in /usr/local. run ldd on binary to find out the missing libs, copy those from depends as wsnipex pointed out. don't forget to run ldconfig after copying over the shared libs.
I copied the entire subdirectory raspberry-pi2-debug/ to my rpi.
I've noticed that the script raspberry-pi2-debug/bin/kodi uses the hard-coded full path directory name of the build system (in my Ubuntu machine).
I created a dummy directory with the same name in my rpi, and placed there a symbolic link to the actual place where I copied the target directory to match the hard-coded name.
I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point at raspberry-pi2-debug/lib
I set the KODI_HOME environment variable to point at raspberry-pi2-debug/share/kodi
Finally, from raspberry-pi2-debug/bin I ran ./kodi --debug

The program launched, opened a fullscreen window that showed the Kodi logo and text that says Kodi v18 **** Alpha.
Then, it went black and after a (long) while it terminated with the following error messages:

Traceback (most recent call last):  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 554, in <module>    main()  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 536, in main    known_paths = addusersitepackages(known_paths)  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 272, in addusersitepackages    user_site = getusersitepackages()  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 247, in getusersitepackages    user_base = getuserbase() # this will also set USER_BASE  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 237, in getuserbase    USER_BASE = get_config_var('userbase')  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 582, in get_config_var    return get_config_vars().get(name)  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 528, in get_config_vars    _init_posix(_CONFIG_VARS)  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 412, in _init_posix    from _sysconfigdata import build_time_vars  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/_sysconfigdata.py", line 6, in <module>    from _sysconfigdata_nd import *ImportError: No module named _sysconfigdata_ndSegmentation fault (core dumped)Crash report available at /home/pi/kodi_crashlog-20171215_115109.log
and I've noticed that indeed a log file was generated.
Any idea on what to try next?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot run kodi compiled from sources0