0.4.5 Increased Crashing ?
Has anyone noticed an increase in crashing since moving up to 0.4.5?

I've used each release since the start and 0.4.5 seems to crash notably more then any other release? This seems to happen more when doing maintance, chaging settings, etc then when playing files or general menu navigation.

I've also had some weird partial crashs. For example sometimes when playing the movie (in full screen) the screen will crash and switch back to the desktop, a windowed XBMC screen will appear but be gabbled and look like an overlay of the desktop, but the movie sound will continue playing. All controls are locked for OSXBMC and I have to force quit.

That's only a sample of some of the weirdness.

Anyone else getting more crashes or weird issues they didn't have prior to 0.4.5?
Make sure you've deleted ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC first. After that try and see if you can replicate the problem using your fresh setup.

But no, I haven't had XBMC crash on me yet...
I've found this as well. I even took it back to a fresh install (removing all config) and it's still happening. It's reproduceable (when moving between different types of media) but I haven't had to time to produce a set of log files to post up..

I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow evening and post up a big report (unless someone beats me to it).
If there are certain types of media involved I would also submit samples media that can make it happen so we can reproduce it on our side.
Right I've got a logfile and uploaded to pastie. Having trouble getting the log file in as the limit is 100k, and it then went and lost all the important stuff. So you basically get the section where the problem appeared.

I can't create a new ticket at the mo (just get a timeout) - so i'll summerise here and then try later (so I don't forget).

1. Delete all XBMC config files/directories
2. Ran XBMC and configured it with full screen and three movie directories.
3. shutdown XBMC and restarted
4. Went into Videos and selected a DVD rip (personal) and loaded up the .ifo file
5. played movie a bit.
6. Paused movie and came back out into movie listings (right click mouse)
7. selected another dvd rip (i.e. IFO file)
8. instantly kicks you out to a windowed view. Contents of window is corrupted and cannot be interacted with. Can hear sound playing in background.
9. Selected cmd-Q to quit.

No sample movies given, as these were standard DVD rips which have worked in the past on XBMC.

http://pastie.caboo.se/179759
Full log file also available
Please post the full log on pastebin.com or whichever paste site doesn't have such limits. As long as its copyable and fixed width, that's enough. None of us care about being able to change the theme on the paste site.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Ticket #170 created:

http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/170
hello, I am new to the board, and new to xbmc as well as a new mac user.
I have a mini mac c2d, 1gig ram and whenever i am in the middle of watching a movie (1080P MKV} the movie pauses and it says buffering.. how can i fix that..

thanks in dvanced.

Doug
Are your movie files on the local hard drive or a remote server?
external 1tb drive connected via usb.
Try moving the same file to your local hard drive.
Yeah, I second iodornez on this one...I don't think USB has enough bandwidth for 1080p, which is why you're prolly seeing the buffering...
My USB drive plays 1080p fine. Even 20Mbps is only 2.5 megabytes per second. USB2 can do 480Mbps, which is ten times higher than the infamous "bird" scene.
I bow to your digital prowess, elan! Rofl
I'm not saying USB can handle it, I'm saying your drive might have problems... try moving the files to your local drive just to rule it out. I play all my movies off a USB 2.0 drive just fine Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
0.4.5 Increased Crashing ?0