Small Subtitles issue with Shield + Kodi 17.6 + Thecus N4810 NAS
OK this is not a big issue but one that might have a simple solution with the help of the forum.
My movies/TV Shows are stored on my N4810 NAS box, I watch them using Kodi on the Nvidia Shield box.
The NAS box is mounted on the Shield so the files are already added when launching Kodi. All that's required is to set the content up etc.

To the tiny issue..
When watching movies that require subtitles I use SubScene and have set up Kodi to auto download any subtitles it requires and place them next to the movie.
It doesn't do this. I can manually get the subtitles, but if I stop the movie the subs disappear on playback and i have to download again.
When checking the movie folder no subs are downloaded. I'm not sure where they are kept if they are at all.
I altered Kodi setting to a customer folder but then it fails to download them completely.
It seems the Nvidia Shield/Kodi is having trouble writing to the NAS?
I have tried different subtitles add-opn and they all suffer they same issue.

Other than that the Shield+NAS works so well with Kodi. 

Any suggestions would be great.
(2017-12-17, 15:30)DeadllHead Wrote: When watching movies that require subtitles I use SubScene and have set up Kodi to auto download any subtitles it requires and place them next to the movie.
It doesn't do this.
Do you have the NAS share set up as readonly?

What type of subtitles do you use: SRT or SSA/ASS? Something else?
SRT subtitles have font size tags, so that can be one difference.

All in all, you can change the subtitle font size in the Kodi GUI (not sure if they override sizes inside subtitle files).
(2017-12-17, 15:30)DeadllHead Wrote: OK this is not a big issue but one that might have a simple solution with the help of the forum.
My movies/TV Shows are stored on my N4810 NAS box, I watch them using Kodi on the Nvidia Shield box.
The NAS box is mounted on the Shield so the files are already added when launching Kodi. All that's required is to set the content up etc.

To the tiny issue..
When watching movies that require subtitles I use SubScene and have set up Kodi to auto download any subtitles it requires and place them next to the movie.
It doesn't do this. I can manually get the subtitles, but if I stop the movie the subs disappear on playback and i have to download again.
When checking the movie folder no subs are downloaded. I'm not sure where they are kept if they are at all.
I altered Kodi setting to a customer folder but then it fails to download them completely.

I think that if you mount the share directly in Shield it's always read only
I had thought of 'read only' and already checked the NAS box.
(2017-12-17, 19:39)T-bird_se Wrote:
(2017-12-17, 15:30)DeadllHead Wrote: OK this is not a big issue but one that might have a simple solution with the help of the forum.

To the tiny issue..

Hmm interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I'm not convinced that's the case, as I have turned on in Kodi GUI the option when removing movies to actually delete them from the NAS which is does with no fuss. If it was 'read only' wouldn't it fail to complete that?
(2017-12-17, 22:11)DeadllHead Wrote:
(2017-12-17, 19:39)T-bird_se Wrote:

To the tiny issue..

Hmm interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I'm not convinced that's the case, as I have turned on in Kodi GUI the option when removing movies to actually delete them from the NAS which is does with no fuss. If it was 'read only' wouldn't it fail to complete that?  
Not sure if this will help. If you press OK while playing a movie go to Audio, select subtitles to on, then set as default.

I don't download subs, through the kodi addon. Generally, I run movies through Mkvtoolnix to remove unwanted audio & subs, but you can download individual subs from subscene & hard code them into a movies using mkvtoolnix.
OK have got some success!!
It seems happy to download subtitles to the Shield, and there was a subtitles folder which I assume must have been created which it was placing them in. Now I have found the location and directed Kodi to look/save them there it seems to work, as soon as I start a movie. What it doesn't do it auto download like it's supposed to but really I can live with that, I don't watch a huge amount of foreign movies.
I can always download direct from subscene myself if the need arises.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Small Subtitles issue with Shield + Kodi 17.6 + Thecus N4810 NAS0