I would be will to pay if you made kodi legal
This just my opinion, and gave the developers the to it like Retro games , movies, TV shows ETC.....
Moved to Discussions.
Kodi is legal.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Kodi is a media player, pure and simple. And as Karellen says, it's fully legal.

The key point is that we do not provide any media, streams or sources. Those should be provided by the user, although some can also be added via add-ons. This is where things can get grey, as various 3rd parties have created add-ons which use illegally sourced pirated media, and that's where the illegality comes in. It's the distinction that most of the "tabloid" media overlook (deliberately for shock value or just from laziness and crap journalism) and what we hate the most.

We would dearly love there to be a lot more media available legally and legitimately. But the way things are going recently with DRM (although that's better supported in Kodi 18 Leia), requirements for proprietary players/apps and even stuff like providers wanting to do their own individual thing rather than making stuff commonly available through a centralised source all tend to frustrate being legally able to play such media via Kodi, even if you legitimately pay for and subscribe to it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
as it's been mentioned, Kodi already is legal, so where is your donation Wink
(2017-12-18, 12:16)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi is a media player, pure and simple. And as Karellen says, it's fully legal.

The key point is that we do not provide any media, streams or sources. Those should be provided by the user, although some can also be added via add-ons. This is where things can get grey, as various 3rd parties have created add-ons which use illegally sourced pirated media, and that's where the illegality comes in. It's the distinction that most of the "tabloid" media overlook (deliberately for shock value or just from laziness and crap journalism) and what we hate the most.

We would dearly love there to be a lot more media available legally and legitimately. But the way things are going recently with DRM (although that's better supported in Kodi 18 Leia), requirements for proprietary players/apps and even stuff like providers wanting to do their own individual thing rather than making stuff commonly available through a centralised source all tend to frustrate being legally able to play such media via Kodi, even if you legitimately pay for and subscribe to it.
Kodi is a media player, like an iPod?

Long, long time ago (2013), before streaming services was a thing, I discovered DRM protection (least from Time Warner cable) wasn't that difficult to trick using M$Windows (.wtv files & Vista). My original goal (Successfully might I add) was to stream recorded, unencrypted, or Clear QAM shows using Windows iis / WebDAV over 3g network to my jailbroke iphone 4. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCcBcH8CrE
More like Windows Media Player, WinAmp, Plex or something like that (possibly iTunes, although that's a little more wide-ranging), as an iPod is hardware rather than software, but generally speaking yes.

The more common analogy is with a web browser like Chrome, IE or Safari. They allow viewing of the worldwide web, but they don't provide the websites nor are Google/MS/Apple responsible for those sites (legal and legitimate or dark and dodgy, depending on what you look at). They are "website players" if you like, and in the same way we are a media player but we don't provide the media. You wouldn't call Chrome a piracy app if the user chooses to try and access thepiratebay or suchlike, but somehow Kodi gets labelled as one when third party piracy add-ons are installed and used.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Since Kodi is 100% 'legal', i take it you instantly donated as soon as you found that out, right..?
(2017-12-18, 02:51)msalas71 Wrote: This just my opinion, and gave the developers the to it like Retro games , movies, TV shows ETC.....
 err.... Team Kodi are the developers, and have been since the XBMC days.... or am I reading that wrong?!

But then, at on an average at a post a year, I'm guessing you didn't read right to the bottom of the of the home page at http://kodi.tv did you.... or the big blue box on the 'Downloads' page....

Am I thinking that some users think this forum is maintained by a third party, and has nothing to with Team Kodi, hence the confusion?

Also as mentioned it is legal, it is Free Open Source Software, so no need to pay. Although running their own Servers and going to Devcons aren't cheap, so why not give them a donation if you want to pay.  I did, so I donated what I thought was reasonable, hence 'donor' under my avatar.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I would be will to pay if you made kodi legal0