I think Kodi is obsolete (for me)
(2017-12-22, 23:30)smitopher Wrote: I completely understand, but, how big is your library?

Arround 140 TV Series, 1240 Movies.
All on NAS and ripped from my Originals.
What Id like to see (and maybe its a possibility given that v18 has Netflix and Amazon support) is something where I can merge Netflix and Amazon into my Kodi library.  I can add a show I'm interested in (say Orange is the New Black or The Grand Tour) and when they are released they automatically populate into my library and show up in recently added.  Maybe another section that shows "Popular or New on Netflix and Amazon mixed for browsing new stuff".  What I absolutely hate is having to go into 10 different apps to get the content I want legally).  If someone could figure out how to make that happen, it would really make life easier to where I don't have to poke around and can just use Kodi as the hub for everything.  Streaming is great (minus the whole it can disappear whenever they feel like it or go out of  business), and it gets rid of a lot of piracy, but until there is something that makes it convenient to get it all in one hub, there will be people who pirate for conveniences sake just so they don't have to jump through App A for Show 1 and App B for Show 2.
For me, Kodi and my media library means, being in control. And I like that.

For example, there are a couple of obscure tv shows, that vanish after a while or where episodes have to be removed from Youtube. One show I enjoyed was for example The NES Pursuit, but apparently, due to personal reasons, all the 70 episodes have been pulled by the creater from Youtube. I still have them on my NAS though and have them in my Kodi.

Also, the nice thing about Kodi is, that I have everything in one place. No need for looking into a tv media homepage for one, the actual tv for the next, Youtube for the next, my DVD collection in the yet next and so on tv show -- everything in one place, the seen ones marked, in "tag-collections" for certain topics I follow. And I can split the library into profiles. One for kids, one for most of all people, one for the adult stuff... I get a lot of flexibility.

Regarding the "information overload" of a big library... Yes and no. When I had just my CD collection, I had a hard time picking music. I also have a vinyl collection, but it is collection dust. For me, nothing beats the accessibility of a big media library on a NAS. For videos, I have these "tag-collections", which are in a way similar to (topic) TV stations. And for music, I am using music bee for smart playlists (Kodi has it drawbacks, especially when it comes to certain (custom / not so common) tags), and these playlists are re-generated / randomized, everytime I enter music bee.

And these playlists, I can play via Kodi and on my Squeezeboxes (multi-room audio).

So while the actual files on the NAS are the center of my collection, Kodi makes consuming it a lot easier / more visual. And it gives me control. For streaming-services, yes, it's nice that you don't have to care about maintaining all the meta-data. But then again, e.g. Netflix pulls movies and tv shows all the time and for tv shows, often they don't have all the seasons. I like binge-watching tv shows and for me, that's a big drawback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think Kodi is obsolete (for me)0