On the fly transcoding from multichannel AAC/AC3/DTS to analog Dolby Prologic (4.0)?
Hello all,

I don't know how Kodi transcodes multichannel audio to ordinary stereo in the first place: it might just keep left and right channels. Or it might perform some arbitrary transcoding to stereo. Or it might actually perform transcoding to analog Dolby Prologic.

If Kodi already implements the latter approach, please disregard my questions. If it doesn't, then your help is needed. I've been extremely satisfied seeing how well transcoding works from multichannel digital AAC/DTS to (also multichannel digital) AC-3. Still, there are a couple of friends having some pretty old, but fully working Dolby Prologic amps. These take an analog stereo source that contains 4 specially encoded channels: left, right, center, surround.

I [b]think[b] I saw somewhere something on Kodi that allowed an on-the-fly transcoding from a multichannel digital stream, to analog Prologic (a plugin perhaps?). I am referring to audio embedded in video of course. Does anyone know of something that accomplishes this task, either from Kodi or from an addon?
(bump)

Anyone fellas? Perhaps it's my vivid imagination, but I do recall something included in the core Kodi app...
I think you imagined it (but I am not a coder).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Dolby Pro-Logic encoding will only be passed on if included in the source material I think, anything that is that has discreet 5.1 channels to begin with is unlikely to have the Dolby Pro-Logic encoding included since it's only usually found in stereo sources.
(For some reason no mail notification came in, strange thing).

@jjd-uk I am talking about transcoding here, not passthru-ing something. This is similar to what Kodi can do for AAC or DTS multichannel input, when the owner only has a AC-3 receiver: it transcodes the input multichannel audio to multichannel AC-3.

On my PC when playing multichannel AC-3 / DTS / AAC videos, I utilized ffmpeg to transcode this multichannel information to 4-channel sound, encoded in a Dolby prologic stereo analog audio. This way I could have decent surround, even with my analog and oldie amp.

Like I said, I thought there was this new magic plugin to convert multichannel to stereo-encoded prologic. Obviously I'm at err here Smile Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On the fly transcoding from multichannel AAC/AC3/DTS to analog Dolby Prologic (4.0)?0