dvdplayer support for detecting the aspect ratio in the MPEG-4 video attributes
All of my Xvid ripped AVI's that played with the correct aspect ratio on the original XBox are not playing with the correct aspect ratio through Linux.

Preliminary investigation suggests that this may be because the core player used by XBMC (dvdplayer) doesn't introspect some aspect ratio related information in the MPEG-4 attributes (bold bit from the Mplayer docs gives some hints towards this at least).

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single...tml#aspect

Quote:12.10. Preserving aspect ratio

DVDs and SVCDs (i.e. MPEG-1/2) files contain an aspect ratio value, which describes how the player should scale the video stream, so humans will not have egg heads (ex.: 480x480 + 4:3 = 640x480). However when encoding to AVI (DivX) files, you have to be aware that AVI headers do not store this value. Rescaling the movie is disgusting and time consuming, there has to be a better way!

There is

MPEG-4 has a unique feature: the video stream can contain its needed aspect ratio. Yes, just like MPEG-1/2 (DVD, SVCD) and H.263 files. Regretfully, there are few video players apart from MPlayer that support this MPEG-4 attribute.

This feature can be used only with libavcodec's mpeg4 codec. Keep in mind: although MPlayer will correctly play the created file, other players may use the wrong aspect ratio.

I love XBMC and have put in quite a bit of work to get it working with HD television recorded via Myth TV. All of my AVI movies are playing back with mangled narrow faces with this problem though. I wasn't expecting this to be a problem as movies all played beautifully on the original XBox.

Please consider adding this support if it is indeed the problem (I'm not sure what else I can do to help diagnose further).

Movies all play with the correct aspect ratio using mplayer on the Linux HTPC, but they don't with Xine, VLC or XBMC Sad Hopefully XBMC can be added as one of the "few video players" that does support this.

More information in the Linux Help and Support Forum at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=260695. Xvid AVI rips must be pretty prevalent on the web so others must be having this problem...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
dvdplayer support for detecting the aspect ratio in the MPEG-4 video attributes0