External VLC starts with delay/drop
Like many here, I'm using external VLC for videos. Love Kodi player controls, but it doesn't play subtitles on DVD rips of old shows, it has limited functionality of sound normalization/compression, and it stutters sometimes.

Like many here, I've added Playercorefactory.xml to run VLC by default and keep Kodi Player in the right-click menu.

After many installs/uninstalls of Kodi and VLC "something" changed. I am 99% positive that before, when I click on the video, it started in VLC seamlessly, full-screen, after a second or two of black screen. Now it shows unsightly desktop of my PC for half a second, and then starts VLC. When I click on Stop, - same story - PC desktop shows up momentarily, then Kodi skin appears. I set my remote to close VLC and return to Kodi screen, when I hit the Stop button.

So, is there any way to fix this "drop"?

Playercorefactory.xml, if you are interested:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
# Goes inside APPDATA\kodi\userdata
-->
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="avi|mkv|mp4|m4v|mpg|mpeg|bup|ifo|vob" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

I copied it from one of many published sources, only added the files extensions that I needed. "Args" command appears to be unnecessary - all it does is starting VLC in Fullscreen, if I'm correct - and I had already set VLC to start Fullscreen in VLC settings.
If Kodi is stuttering and not paying subtitles, it is likely operator error.

You haven't even given us your OS (although the path to VLC suggests some windows version - which one is not apparent).

Also no debug log (wiki) no issue.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Win 10, build 16-something.  I didn't try running anything in Kodi player in a year, it did stutter before, sometimes really bad, can't say about now. Only  in the last few days I had to run Kodi player, until added Playercorefactory to freshly installed Kodi. Had to install Krypton from the scratch because messed up my previous Krypton beyond repairs, using Node Editor. There is no Undo button or return to Defaults in the Editor, you know... Running Win 10 Restore to earlier restore point doesn't restore the Nodes to previous configuration. 

Subtitles in those ripped shows that I mentioned, are not detected by Kodi player, despite it reads "Enabled" and "Local Subtitles Available". The button "Download Subtitles" opens the window asking to manually enter the search string.

On my old RF remote by Gyration, only mouse and button Play work with Kodi player.  Meh... Don't want to change this remote, it has survived 3 computers and 2 Windows so far, mouse with gyro-sensors moves like a ballerina, no clumsy incremental left-right-up-down steps. Remote is mapped/programmed with standalone mapping software, was easy to do for a newb like me, but I don't see any simple recipe on how to do the same in Kodi player.

Meanwhile... What about this "drop" in Kodi skin, why does it bring my PC desktop for a moment, every time when I start and stop VLC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External VLC starts with delay/drop0