Xbox One X installs Kodi 18 Alpha 1 by default
Hi all

Awesome to see Kodi is available for Xbox! Great job!

When installing Kodi on my Xbox One X today I noticed it is v18 alpha 1. In the description however 17.6 was mentioned. As alpha versions are often buggy, is it possible to install 17.6 through the Xbox Store?

When exiting the Alpha 1 Koda app, the screen also remains black which shows that it is too unstable to use for the moment.

Thanks!
Read
https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-xbox-one
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
In review, I think the blog post might not actually directly cover the reason we aren't giving a 17 port. @jjd-uk Might be something for the FAQ. Simple answer is UWP required rewriting a ton of Kodi in mainline, and backporting all those changes to Kodi 17 would result in an similarly broken, alpha version of 17. If it's even possible to port all the changes back. Since nobody would want to do that work, and doing that work would pointlessly result in an alpha again anyway, just an alpha from an earlier codebase, we've decided to stick to Kodi 18 for UWP.

The rest of your question is covered by the blog.
(2017-12-30, 15:58)natethomas Wrote: In review, I think the blog post might not actually directly cover the reason we aren't giving a 17 port. @jjd-uk Might be something for the FAQ. Simple answer is UWP required rewriting a ton of Kodi in mainline, and backporting all those changes to Kodi 17 would result in an similarly broken, alpha version of 17. If it's even possible to port all the changes back. Since nobody would want to do that work, and doing that work would pointlessly result in an alpha again anyway, just an alpha from an earlier codebase, we've decided to stick to Kodi 18 for UWP.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
(2017-12-30, 15:58)natethomas Wrote: In review, I think the blog post might not actually directly cover the reason we aren't giving a 17 port. @jjd-uk Might be something for the FAQ. Simple answer is UWP required rewriting a ton of Kodi in mainline, and backporting all those changes to Kodi 17 would result in an similarly broken, alpha version of 17. If it's even possible to port all the changes back. Since nobody would want to do that work, and doing that work would pointlessly result in an alpha again anyway, just an alpha from an earlier codebase, we've decided to stick to Kodi 18 for UWP.

Really. Working for a year on something and saying a shit ton needed to be fixed and redone doesn't cover the fact we won't do a v17 release which to us is already end of life?
Well sorry to say if users can't grasp that then that is their problem and not ours. Any way i extend the first part saying it will only be for v18 and on wards.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-12-31, 11:39)Martijn Wrote: Really. Working for a year on something and saying a shit ton needed to be fixed and redone doesn't cover the fact we won't do a v17 release which to us is already end of life

Pretty much. To be clear, I think the blog is perfectly fine as it is. It’s just that some people need things spelled out for them. If they didn’t, there would be no need for FAQs; they could just infer everything from existing info.

Heck, even after the blogpost clearly spelled it out, someone obviously unfamiliar with how software development works was wondering why we would intentionally remove smb, which is such a useful feature. The easy thing to do is to assume the guy is a complete idiot, but it’s also possible people unfamiliar with software development would not be able to piece together that when making a port to a new platform the various functions also have to be ported.

I figure, if a lot of people are clearly not piecing it together, it’s really no sweat off our backs to include a sentence in the FAQ.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One X installs Kodi 18 Alpha 1 by default0