Linux Schedules Direct Setup on Ubuntu Server
Hi. I wanted to set up TVH on an Ubuntu Server, as although works, I thought Libreelec/Kodi/TVH Server on one machine was bloated(!), so for me is now on Hyper-V, and runs brilliantly. However, it took me loads of attempts to get this far, and the information I needed was on five separate and different forums. So I thought I would consolidate them into one thread for easy searching etc!!

EDIT: Don't run as a Super User, (sudo su, type password) otherwise the last two commands will not work, hts user has no password, and it won't work even if you type nothing in. Should have made that clear when I first posted!
  • Install Ubuntu Server (!) 
  • Add third Party Repo to server for TVHeadend 4.2 and install.
  • Below are the commands:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mamarley/tvheadend-git-stable
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install tvheadend
  • For Schedules Direct to work, we need XMLTV version 0.5.69, which had the new 'tv_grab_zz_sdjson' grabber for Schedules Direct
  • Below are the commands
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alex-tomlins/xmltv
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xmltv
  • To add your account run (we need to be logged in to TVH user account for this - took me HOURS to find this!)
    sudo su - hts
    EDIT: the command below is not run with sudo
    tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure
  • Here you just follow the config setup instructions.

Then from there, you can go into the TVH GUI via http://youriptotvheadend:9981 and run the wizard. Also you can, if like me have no need for OTA EPG, can turn off everything else in the EPG grabber modules in TVH and just use the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber.

This should work regardless of Country of Origin, and anyone who uses Schedules Direct for their PVR.

I just hope someone finds this useful!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |

Messages In This Thread
Schedules Direct Setup on Ubuntu Server - by tjay260476 - 2018-01-04, 01:23
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Schedules Direct Setup on Ubuntu Server1