Database updating
I just did a clean install of High Sierra and then used migration assistant to move all my personal information back over. When I opened Kodi it did a major rebuild of the database and it lost all the "watched" indicators. I have a number of TV shows in various states of being watched. Having to go back and find out where I am in each season will be most annoying. I then tried replacing the user info folder form a time machine backup. This worked once but then the next time I opened Kodi it did the rebuild again. I have tried several times to get the old database back but it will never hold. I have tried this with both V15.1 and V16.1. 

I tired pasting a debug log into paste bin but I got a Request Entry Too Large error. I tired pasting it into Word and it is 5,299 pages long. There are extra lines after each line in the log so I probably could get that down to around 3000 paged but I am not sure that will help. When I generated this log all I did was open the program and allow the database to rebuild then I quite Kodi.
I tired looking through the log and and noticed the excess pages are form the system searching TheTVDB for information. Here is the first 40 or so pages. This takes through the first item searched for. I hope this has enough of the information needed to diagnose the problem. I should also say to generate this log I only replace the database file not the whole userinfo folder. 

Log
21:21:03 T:140735707173696 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (16.1 Git:2016-04-24-c327c53). Platform: OS X x86 64-bit
Why so serious old a Kodi version?

21:21:08 T:123145365504000 ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 404 for https://api.thetvdb.com/search/series?na...l-blahblah...
Seems like you have a connect or dns problem.
I have attached a log file created just after restarting Kodi from the previous log file. On the second start up it does not try to do a major rebuild of the database. I have it set to check for new content on startup. On the second startup it only does a quick check for new content. In both these logs the DNS error is present. From what I can tell it looks like the error code lines in the two files are same leading upto the time it starts updating the database.

Log 2
I tired some more investigating. I turned off the auto update on startup so it wouldn't try to update when launched. When I did this I could navigate to my TV shows and start scrolling through them. As I scrolled the fanart would change as per the TV selected. As I am scrolling all of a sudden the fanart goes to the default picture. As I scroll back up to the shows that originally showed their fanart it was now the default picture. Now the listing is also some outdated version which I don't understand where a listing that looks to be a year or so old can come from. To get back to a correct list of shows I need to update and clean the database. That still does not fix the watched indicators. I have attached the log for this latest try.

Log
I see you tried kodi 15 and 16 back and forward, you will have more databases now than you had. Rebuilding of the database will occur when you change kodi versions and thus upgrade databases.

Can you reinstall the kodi version you have in your time machine ?
Delete the current kodi app in applications.
Move the current userdatafolder to a different location e.g. Downloads
Empty trash
What i want you try Is get the kodi app back from the time machine and than replace the userdata folder from the same time machine backup. That will ensure that kodi and the userdata folder match.
So if kodi 15.x app is in the time machine restore it, run it and quit.
Replace the fresh created userdata folder with the one from the time machine backup
Run kodi
If everyting is okay, upgrade to the latest kodi 16 the database will be rebuild.
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
This weekend I was trying some other things before reading this last post. The reason I am needing to use a different hard drive for 10.13 than 10.12 is that I have 10.12 on a RAID and 10.13 cannot be on a RAID. So I did a bit copy of the RAID drive to a single drive. I then upgraded that drive to 10.13. Kodi 15.1 seems to be working correctly. Interestingly if I launch 16.1 it looks like a much older version of the database. Then is I go back to 15.1 the database looks correct but a couple user settings are changed. If I just use 15.1 everything stays at it should. I will try deleting 16.1 and see if I reinstall it if it works. The reason I don't use 17 is the skin I like is not updated. As it is I get errors unmet dependencies in 15 and 16 but it does what I need.
The current userfolder and Kodi 15.1 were working. I then trashed the kodi 16.1 in my applications folder and found a new download for it. I ran 16.1 and it rebuilt the database and had none of the watched markers. At least it had the correct shows listed. When I went back to 15.1 the GUI sounds were back on and right list was turned off. Just like my old copy of 16.1 would do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Database updating0