v17 Trying to figure out why passthrough is not sending DTS-HD MA
I am running a fresh install of ubuntu 17.10 and kodi 17.6 on an intel NUC connected to a Marantz AVR through HDMI.

I have a similar set up but with and older nuc, older ubuntu and older kodi that works fine, but it was time to upgrade the hardware(i thought at least) that works just fine and where i have the same settings in kodi(where applicable) for passthrough and i am running ALSA instead of Pulseaudio to get the 7.1 passthrough for DTS-HD MA.

In the new set up I am running ALSA and pulseaudio is disabled. With passthrough enabled, i am getting PCM-signal, but sound is multichannel 7.1 and i only get a distorted noise from all the speakers and nothing else. Without passthrough i am getting PCM-signal input to the AVR, but only multichannel 7.1 and no DTS-HD but the sound from the movie is comming out from the speakers.
Inside kodi the correct audio device is found which is named HDA Intel PCH, MjI marantz-AVR on DisplayPort #0.

When i compare the same on the older set up i have, i get DTS-HDA MA signal to the AVR, and the sound is DTS-HD MA properly and the AVR decodes it just fine.

I am  here to get some help understanding the kodi log-file as i am not that good with reading what it means. The only thing so far i have been able to figure out is that i think kodi is sending the correct feed, but somehow between kodi and linux/sound/hdmi on the NUC something goes wrong. If you could help me rule out kodi as the problem, i can keep testing other stuff.

When i look into the logfile, i see that kodi is sending RAW to all channels with 8-bit, which i guess means that kodi is doing what it is supposed to do. But i am not sure.

I am not sure if this is related as well: https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17635

Logfle: https://pastebin.com/6cA1dZHa
Hardware: Intel NUC7i7BNHX1 with Intel® Core™ i7-7567U CPU @ 3.50GHz × 4  and Intel® Iris Plus Graphics 650 (Kaby Lake GT3). 32GB RAM, 120GB SSD.
AVR: Marantz SR-7009
Ubuntu 17.10(Kernel: 4.13.0-21-generic)
Kodi 17.6 Git:20121104-a9a7a20

Sorry if i missed out anything, i read the FAQ and tried to follow all the steps. Sorry if the language is a but messy, english is not my native language.
AFAICT you missed to play a video in the log.
Your issue has nothing to do with Kodi. Your kernel misses an important fix to do HD PT on your Kabylake Chip.

Install 4.15-rc6 mainline kernel from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and retry - additionally you need to update the DP firmware to at least version 1.66 - see the hw forum for more input.

Edit: And - if you are running Kodi on an Ubuntu 17.10 desktop, you need to use the nightly ppa and install kodi-wayland
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@DaVu: Sorry, i was sure i played at least 30-40 seconds of the Movie. But it seems i have uploaded the wrong log as you are correct, it´s missing the playback. Sorry about that.

@fritsch: Thank you very much. I´ll redo the installation with proper kernel and kodi-wayland. Firmware should be up to date, but i´ll re-check that as well.

Thank you for the quick reply.
I just wanted to add an update on the process.
I did a clean 17.10 install and updated the firmware on the NUC to the 1.72 version(latest available).
Then i disabled pulseaudio permanently.
Installed the mainline suggested and the kodi-wayland.

I´ve tested both on wayland desktop and logging directly onto Kodi from the loginscreen.

So far everything have worked out great when playing movies and i get the correct DTS-HD MA as i wanted and it´s working fine now.
Thank you very much for the help.

Only thing i still need to fix is making sure kodi/ubuntu is not shutting down the hdmi-port once the avr and projector are turned off for a few hours. 
It seems when i start upp the AVR and the projector, the kodi is till running, but the display is black, while i still can gear the navigation sound and start the movie and get movie sound, but no image. 
But i´ve not started to debug that one yet, i´m stil configuring the last parts of ubuntu and kodi. Will update with log if i´m unable to figure it out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to figure out why passthrough is not sending DTS-HD MA0