Solved switching to desktop
I have kodi 17.3 installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 running raspbian 8.0 jessie.  In previous editions of xbmc/kodi/linux, I was able to configure kodi so I could switch between kodi and my desktop.  I have not been able to do that with the current configuration.

So far, I have tried using window manager hotkeys, such as Alt-Tab, and F11, with no effect.  According to kodi's wiki, the '\' key is supposed to toggle fullscreen.  I enabled debugging, and found my wireless keyboard '\' key was being recognized as "hash (0xf023)", scan code 0x2b, with no 'action' assigned.  So, I got a copy of "keyboard.xml", put it into "~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml", added the line "<hash>togglefullscreen<\hash> in the <global> section, and re-started kodi.  No joy, though the debug log confirmed that pressing the '\' key triggered the "togglefullscreen" action.  I tried again with "FullScreen" as the action, and, again, no effect.

So, is there another setting that needs to be tweaked to make this work?  Does it work at all?  I'd like to be able to switch to my desktop without having to exit and re-start kodi each time.
You can't do that on the Raspberry Pi. There is no X server support in Raspberry Pi Kodi build, so you won't be able to toggle window mode. Kodi will always be fullscreen, on top of the desktop. The only way to return to desktop is to exit Kodi.
That's certainly good to know!  It will save a few days of trying to achieve the impossible.  Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
switching to desktop0