External HDD quick question
Hey guys, I just have a quick question here. I am building a raspberry pi media center with OSMC on it. I want to setup an external HDD through my router so I can add my videos as a source on Kodi. I also want to be able to detach the HDD and plug it into my raspberry pi so my kids can take it to other peoples houses, plug in the HDD and have all the movies from a USB source too. Would I need to setup a source for the network drive when it is plugged into the router, then disconnect and reconnect to the pi via USB and add another source? I am unsure if this is even possible but it is something I would like to do if it is.
An external HDD plugged in via a router (which basically becomes a SMB network drive) is indeed a different source than a drive connected via USB.
One option would be to use different Kodi profiles, so settings are more instantly available, instead of selecting different sources via the GUI.
A bit more fuss to set up, but it might give an easier user experience in the end.
it might work with two profiles, sharing the same database. On your "home" (master) profile you setup everything using your network share provided by the router. On your "away" profile, you could add an advancedsettings file and make use of the "path substitution" feature, to remap your network share URLs to local ones. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution for an example and more details.
You could install Samba Server from the OSMC App Store to access it on other devices on the network.
@Sam.Nazarko I don't think that's what he's up to. Pathsubstitution should be the solution for his demand, like described above (same library and file paths will work regardless if the HDD is access locally via SMB/NFS or away via USB on the very same PI).
Thanks for the help guys I will give these options a try!
(2018-01-10, 20:05)da-anda Wrote: @Sam.Nazarko I don't think that's what he's up to. Pathsubstitution should be the solution for his demand, like described above (same library and file paths will work regardless if the HDD is access locally via SMB/NFS or away via USB on the very same PI).
 Re-read it.

Multiple sources -- same library is definitely a job for path substitution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External HDD quick question0