HW+ decoder and DTS Philips TV
Hi,

I think more tv's will have this problem, but mine is a Philips 65PUS6521/12.
A few android tv video players support the HW+ decoding function. They also support DTS.
Why isn't Kodi supporting this.
Many video's stutter, every 3 seconds. When I use build in media player or MX Player it plays perfectly smooth. In MX player I have the option to use HW+ decoding. This is the option that brings me this great smooth play.
In Kodi I have 2 options.

HW Acceleration Mediacodec (surface)
HW Acceleration Mediacodec

Why not the HW+

In MX Player I also have the option to use custom audio codecs, that gives me DTS support for playback. Why doesn't Kodi.
I really hope this issue can be solved, because Kodi is the only way to organise my movies.

greetings,
Quote:Many video's stutter, every 3 seconds. When I use build in media player or MX Player it plays perfectly smooth. In MX player I have the option to use HW+ decoding. This is the option that brings me this great smooth play.
You may find out more about it here. HW+ uses and old non-standard API to communicate with the hardware. Kodi 17 based SPMC alpha (has to be sideloaded for now) seems to do a better job with some problem videos.

Quote:In MX Player I also have the option to use custom audio codecs, that gives me DTS support for playback. Why doesn't Kodi.
MediaTek SoC based TVs do not support DTS via standard Android API but only via dangerous PCM hack. That is why it is not supported on Kodi.

It is up to the manufacturers to properly implement standard Android MediaCodec and AudioTrack APIs. Kodi doesn't do hacks. Better not buy a Sony or Philips Android TV with cheap and buggy MediaTek SoC.
Many thanks for your reply.
I Will try this alpha version tonight.

What does kodi do with dts audio? Does it convert them to 5.1 ac3 or stereo?

btw. I don't know if my tv has the best hardware, but I do know that it's the only tv I have seen that plays all video and audio perfectly, without stuttering. I don't even have to switch the refresh rate. That is why I bought this tv.
It is only in a few apps that certain movies have this problem. But MX player and android build in player plays very, very smooth, with DTS audio playback. Never any problem.

Of course I understand that Kodi has to be stable and don't hack. That is why I love Kodi so much.
Thanks again.
Quote:What does kodi do with dts audio? Does it convert them to 5.1 ac3 or stereo?

If you enable Dolby Digital transcoding in Kodi, DTS 5.1 will be converted to Dolby 5.1. If you don't enable transcoding, DTS will be decoded to stereo PCM.
Thumbs Up 
Many thanks for your help. It works like a Charm, now.

A pitty that dts passthrough doen't work (even with hdmi arc, bus ac35.1 is very acceptable for now. The video picture is very clear and very smooth. This should be the default kodi version.

No clue though why some problem videos play better in SPMC compared to Kodi on those TVs. Author @Koying doesn't tell. Actually he doesn't know either  Wink .
I am sorry to bother you, but the dts / ac3 transcoding does not seem to work.
I have the option on my receiver to change sound to 2xstereo. That option is not available if content is 5.1. This option only shows up when stereo sound was send to the receiver.
So it looks like my receiver just uses pro logic in stead of ac3.

I also don't see the option " - Enable Dolby Digital transcoding" in the audio settings.
Maybe you know the solution to enable the transcoding.

greetings,

Ilja Franken
Sorry, i guess i have to set the channels to 2.0 to see the option of transcoding.
I wil try that first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HW+ decoder and DTS Philips TV0