Linux HD Audio Passthrough on Intel 7h gen Kaby Lake NUC with Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17
Hi, I'm planning to replace my NUC 6th generation with a 7th generation Kaby Lake NUC (NUC7i3BNH) only for one reason: to be able to play 4K HEVC 10bit movies, as the 6th generation isn't capable to decode it in hardware.
Reading some reviews I saw that there are/were some problems with the HD Audio Passthrough (DTS-HD, etc) on the Kaby Lake but not sure if they were fixed and working also on Linux.
So my question would be if currently are there problems with HD Audio Passthrough on Kaby Lake + Ubuntu 16.04 + Kodi 17 ?
Thank you!
There are problems. Upgrade your kernel to 4.15-rc7, uninstall pulseaudio - see the relevant kaby lake thread in the hw forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks @fritsch , I was reading the thread (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294312&page=67) but, at least for me, isn't clear if it's fixed and what are the steeps to fix it.
I  can upgrade to 4.15, Pulsaudio is already uninstalled, but this would give me what I need (4K 10bit & HD-Audio) without breaking anything else ?
At this moment I'm happy running Kodi except the 4K 10bit, would you recommend to get the Kaby Lake NUC or wait for the next generation and hope what one wouldn't have any problems ? 4K isn't such a big issue at this moment as my library of 4K Movies isn't that large.
Buy the cheapest thing that DOES what you need. Replace it often.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-01-13, 13:09)fritsch Wrote: Buy the cheapest thing that DOES what you need. Replace it often.
 Thanks, seems the best advice in this so fast moving world of multimedia.
Yeah great advice and the answer to every problem these days includes cash hehe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Audio Passthrough on Intel 7h gen Kaby Lake NUC with Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 170