What would work best with HDHomeRun Tuners and Debian 9.3?
I am brand new to Kodi.  I have been trying for a week to get all this going.  I've googled, RTFM, pulled out a bunch of hair.  I can watch TV, but I cannot get it to record.  I have a subscription to Schedules Direct and would like to continue to use it.

I am running Debian Linux (Stretch) version 9.3 on a PC with 8GB RAM.  I have two HDHomeRun tuners.

I want to be able to record OTA TV. 

I think the best place to start, is what would work best with this setup? 

1) -NA-
2) -NA-
3) Okay Smile
4) Debian 9.3
5) x86_64, GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2
6) apt, all from  the Debian. No PPA, no builds
7) Kodi from Debian 17.1 Debian package 2  Compliled 2:17.1 +dfsg 1-3
8) - 11) -NA-

uname -a: Linux anthem 4.9.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Both Tuners are
HD HomeRun CONNECT
Hardware Model    HDHR4-2US
Firmware Version    20170930

Thank you.

-Julian
I recommend MythTV. The Kodi-MythTV-PVR add-on works well and the mythtv backend supports schedules direct out of the box.
Quick edit -- looks like you will have too build from source. Details in link

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
I've spent about two weeks trying to get MythTV installed.  I have not been able to build it.  I get errors and the build fails.  At one point I was able to get MythTV running, using the debian multimedia repository (http://www.deb-multimedia.org/),  but all the sudden, it quit recording.

Although I'm trying to get away from MythTV, I can always come back to it, once I get Kodi running.

If I drop the Schedules Direct requirement, what would be the best way to get Kodi up and running with my configuration?

Thank you.

-Julian
Mythtv is the best way, if you need help making it work, go to their mailing list.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I agree with nickr. Mythtv is the most comprehensive way to accomplish this. I have tooled with tvheadend with little success. On windows side Media portal is heavy and lack some functionality. Until Argus-tv gets ported to linux Mythtv is by far the best option. The DVR functionality of mythtv outperforms other dvr solutions I have experimented with. Is there any reason you need to stay on debian? If the compiling and stability on debian is really an issue you may want to export kodi settings, switch to Ubuntu Server LTS, and build the box from bottom up.
I had MythTV running on Mythbuntu, but I started getting weird errors.  I also have a desktop, that started throwing errors as well.  So I put both machines on Debian.

I've tried to get MythTV running on FreeBSD (never got the MythTV installation finished - dependency errors), CentOS, could not reliability connect to my tuners - firewall issue; Slackware, gave up trying to compile it (my lack of patience); Fedora, also firewall issues for my tuners.

I'll take a hard look at Ubuntu LTS and take another run at compiling on debian.

Thank you.

-Julian
no need to compile on ubuntu, that's what we have PPAs for

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What would work best with HDHomeRun Tuners and Debian 9.3?0