Solved RE-installation, to fix problem unknown. Can't reinstall "cleanly". Linux Mint Mate
No matter how/where I look I don't get it.  My Kodi worked fine perfect for a few weeks and now i have a video conflict of some sort.

I didn't change anything drastic. I did try to reset to defaults everywhere I could find that option in Kodi menus.
I'm only beginning to understand the most basic of the terminal commands and we just got this stuff sorted a few weeks ago. BUT now I'm totally confused how to get this crash log stuff like we did before.

I've tried twice at least to uninstall/reinstall Kodi, hoping that would fix any bugginess or at least the issue causing the problem.
But each time it comes back up with my personal favorites and i KNOW that's not a clean install.

There's no real "flow chart" for me to follow and that's about what I need to grasp the totality of the processes and all the French I don't get. Networking and Programming are two areas I just don't have any base of knowledge and every single time I try to discuss things that are related to such--I gloss over too many words I don't know the meanings of "French" and get the job done AND then I'm all good until next time.  At which point I'm lost because well, it's worked this way for me for 35 years and I'm ADHD about it, just hammer through and make something happen even if it breaks, then you'll know where you stand.

Sorry, but this personal base is to let you know I'm no dummy, just unfamiliar with everyday common terms and phrases and concepts that underly all this wonderful computing we do - when it comes to the "under hood" stuff.  I'm going to go back and look at my previous thread here to see what I did there--as the Wiki here just left me more confused again.

Question. what exactly makes a clean install?  "Purge"? "Delete"? "Do Over"?
I don't see any new crashlogs where those old ones were.  It's the same old pile of logs.  I'm not sure how to find any other ones.

I used "history" in terminal to see all my other commands and try to figure it out, but I'm not seeing.  I get a huge pile of stuff when I do "locate" but then I'm not clear on where stuff should be or where I should be looking for it or how exactly to do that.

Back to the issue, The streaming playback starts with audio, but the screen never switches away from the previous window.  Clicking on the "play bar" up top tries to open the view window, but that's when the mouse tails start and it quits playing altogether.

The following pastebin is the "policy" thing from prior postings. I don't like posting "live code" because I don't trust me on that.  And don't know how to show you what I used without the auto-code catcher seeing it.
Code:
see note above
https://pastebin.com/bm4VLKV9

Linux Mint mate 18.3 kernel 4.13.0-26

oh, it didn't crash, Kodi yet running. I suppose that's why no new logs?  Here's info screen.
(2018-01-13, 22:06)Wade Patton Wrote: Question. what exactly makes a clean install?  "Purge"? "Delete"? "Do Over"?
I use 'ppa-purge' for cleaning up Ubuntu repositories. You'll have to install that thingy first, though.
Also, delete/rename the ~/.kodi folder where all Kodi's settings are.

I'd have to say, Kodi works pretty well in default Ubuntu, so why Mint is again such a pain, I have no idea. It's not the 1st time that Mint is problematic. Perhaps providing the debug log (wiki) will shed some light.

(2018-01-13, 22:06)Wade Patton Wrote: My Kodi worked fine perfect for a few weeks and now i have a video conflict of some sort.
Any new installations or updates onto your Mint setup that were installed recently?
(2018-01-13, 22:44)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-01-13, 22:06)Wade Patton Wrote: Question. what exactly makes a clean install?  "Purge"? "Delete"? "Do Over"?
I use 'ppa-purge' for cleaning up Ubuntu repositories. You'll have to install that thingy first, though.
Also, delete/rename the ~/.kodi folder where all Kodi's settings are.

I'd have to say, Kodi works pretty well in default Ubuntu, so why Mint is again such a pain, I have no idea. It's not the 1st time that Mint is problematic. Perhaps providing the debug log (wiki) will shed some light.
(2018-01-13, 22:06)Wade Patton Wrote: My Kodi worked fine perfect for a few weeks and now i have a video conflict of some sort.
Any new installations or updates onto your Mint setup that were installed recently?  
I've been letting Mint update itself, kernels and all.  The checkmark indicating all up to date is green. I don't really look at all the stuff it does, it makes no sense to me. Running the same setup on "twin" machine presently, but it can't handle the graphic load without a GPU, so I don't try Kodi there.  It gets "sticky" and sluggish after opening Kodi--I assume this is lack of video power.  The vid card in THIS machine was in that one--back when it was No.1 system, and Kodi rocked right on that way.

Which brings up another thing.  As much as I like Mint, I'll change to another distro if it'll give a more stable Kodi experience. I'm not married to any of them and have been looking around at many various options.  LOVE Maui, but it's no longer in development as I understand. I may try to get onto something closely related to it. Or just run Maui until it won't go anymore.  Also have Voyager and Lubunto ISO's ready to load up. I've looked at them but not tried full installs.  Have some repartitioning to do and got hung up on that this morning---you know right after I gave up trying to make these two machines NETWORK with each other. 

So it's been and exasperating Saturday morning. digitally speaking.  I think I'll go pretend to be a luthier for a while...I get guitars!

Are there other solid/supported Linux distros that work better than MINT with Kodi?  I'd sure like to get all this digi stuff squared away before the weekend is over. (hahahahahaha!)

debug log? I'll have to go figure out how to find/share that.
as far as Updates, I don't know.

I add programs mostly from the standard thingie, and Stellarium was the last thing I recall adding (it's an active skymap deal).  I'm sure there's a list somewhere, but I don't know how to access it. Not yet.

oh, I found that, but that's the short version. Updates listing from updates manager.
You should tell us what is not working and provide a Debug Log (click the link for info)
(2018-01-13, 23:46)Wade Patton Wrote: Are there other solid/supported Linux distros that work better than MINT with Kodi?
I use 'standard' Ubuntu 16.04 on several machines with Nvidia or Intel graphics. It does the job.
Hello if you want to uninstall completely customs parameters for kodi a simply command can do the stuff.

type in your terminal :  sudo rm /home/your_user_name/.kodi/

when this is done uninstall kodi as usual  then reinstall it and you have a really new install .

regards .
this way is better :in your favorite terminal type this :
Code:
rm -r ~/.kodi/
(2018-01-14, 09:35)wsnipex Wrote: You should tell us what is not working and provide a Debug Log (click the link for info)
as I said, the crash logs are the same as before (those that I've found). they are not new files. There could be some somewhere I don't know.

And when I looked up "debug log" it looked like the same thing as crash logs.  So i'm losted again. Sorry about my double density head.

I realize they have different names and thus therefore should/may be different things, but is not always the case in English-even technical English. 
--
Yes, so I looked again, and what happened when I looked at "debug logs" info here yesterday, was that the BOLD WARNINGS WERE
ALL
identical to the Log File rules (DON'T POST HERE, DON'T POST PARTIALS, READ THESE RULES) on Crash Logs, so my brains "filled in the rest" and I left.   Now I do see a difference. 

And I shall gladly go fetch that next.  Or I'll do a fresh install.  I'm unsure yet. Coffee will help me decide, I was up all night looking at distros.

Thanks all.
(2018-01-13, 23:46)Wade Patton Wrote: Are there other solid/supported Linux distros that work better than MINT with Kodi?  I'd sure like to get all this digi stuff squared away before the weekend is over. (hahahahahaha!)
 For what it's worth, I used XBMCBuntu, which was a Ubuntu14 install specifically geared towards XBMC: it's a minimal install booting directly into XBMC so serves its core purpose as a media centre - I've added various other server-based services since but it largely runs headless (apart from the TV).  Although the underlying Ubuntu platform has remained the same, XBMC upgraded from 13 to Kodi17. 

The only fiddling I had to do from the start was a few ALSA hacks to get sound fed out through HDMI and a custom keymaps.xml to sort out my remote controller; as I progressed up through the versions it seemed less tweaks were needed.  It's still pretty rock solid.

I've recently looked at replacing my setup with new kit and followed these instructions - it's doing the same thing with Ubuntu16 and fritsch's given me a workaround for my buggy CPU.

As an aside... what made you go for MINT as an OS?  I liked it as a desktop OS, but didn't think it suitable for a media player.
(2018-01-14, 19:40)Preacher Wrote: ...

As an aside... what made you go for MINT as an OS?  I liked it as a desktop OS, but didn't think it suitable for a media player. 

Preacher: I didn't know Mint wasn't great for Kodi.  I only started using Linux a few years back-with Elementary, and that's also when I started using Kodi.  Mint was my next "big experiment" in a new OS. Now that I've been after it a while, I'm looking at other options and learning what I like.  AND In that spirit...

Others:
 Hey I've "side-stepped" this issue. Also we have some good "clean it out" commands here I reckon.

But I'm now running Kodi17.6 on Manjaro 17.1 on the other machine (with onboard GP) and it's running fine.  That machine would not run it under Mint and I thought it was video related.

This machine will have a new OS soon enough. It may also be Manjaro, or MX or Qubes or Peppermint or Voyager or Fedora, or ... I could do things more logically but then that's how I roll much.

I'm considering many more now than ever before. So happy to have such choices these days and learning more about it all the time, thanks to those folks and thanks to all of y'all, the local Collective.  Cheers!
(2018-01-15, 02:38)Wade Patton Wrote: Preacher: I didn't know Mint wasn't great for Kodi.
I didn't say it was bad! Just that Mint tends to be a good newbie desktop OS, so if you were surfing/tweeting/playing DVDs/etc then it'll be ideal but thought it may be an overkill if you just wanted a media platform.  FWIW, I found Mint 14 installed and ran perfectly on a ThinkPad netbook where other distros gave me issues (Flash, NTFS support, etc worked out of the box compared to Ubuntu, at the time)

Good to hear you've got it running on Manjaro.
(2018-01-15, 02:38)Wade Patton Wrote: This machine will have a new OS soon enough. It may also be Manjaro, or MX or Qubes or Peppermint or Voyager or Fedora, or ... I could do things more logically but then that's how I roll much.
Don't go the Arch Linux pathway. It's worse than Mint Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RE-installation, to fix problem unknown. Can't reinstall "cleanly". Linux Mint Mate0